AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for all you womble users and how long it takes to edit an mpeg2 file you have downloaded from the replaytv.

First off here's my hardware config:

Athlon 1800+, 1GB RAM, 120 GB WD IDE

After hearing everyone talk about womble I contracted them and got a trial key for mpeg2vcr. I've had swapdv 0.6 up for a while so I transfered several shows to my pc and exported them as pc mpeg files.

Now when I try to edit them with womble its taking an amazing long time for it to reincode the files. For example the friends finale that was 1 hr long after I edited out the commericials and tried to 'record' the edited version took almost 9.5 hours to write out.

Is this normal? I'm probably doing some extreme newbie mistake, so any help would be appreciated. Its almost not worth making dvds at this point.

I tried both shows recorded at medium and high settings on the replay with the same result. The wierd thing is that once womble reincodes the file once, then I can edit and write it out again extremely fast ( maybe 10 mins instead of 9 hours).

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
161 Posts
Heres what I do.

I load the mpeg. Edit out commercials. Press the record button, give it a file name. Press ALL once, press OK. In 2 minutes its done. Make sure MPEG-2 Program Stream is selected.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Mkaspro,

Sounds like you are changing some parameters in regards to the mpeg stream. Unless you are trying to save these as MPEG1 for transfer to VCD etc, do not change the mpeg settings, such as size etc. If you change these, then womble has to re-encode the video. This takes a long time on almost any machine, I have a 2 Ghz P4, and it still takes along time to do software encode of video files.

If you are transferring directly to DVD via a program like ulead's DVD Workshop, then don't do anything except edit out the commercials and then hit the record button. It will do a frame accurate edit without having to re-encode the video. This is the reason Womble is so popular, because almost every other program out there has to re-encode the video to do edits.

Hope this helps.

TimT

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.