AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1302 Posts

·
Just add water and stir
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Anyone interested in creating a community for like minded individuals within the Edmonton area this is your Thread! Please join this group and help make it a success by either posting, hosting, or attending the Meets. I look forward to meeting with each of you. Everyone has a busy schedual, but this can be something we all really look forward to.

Welcome to the Edmonton Area Home Theatre Owner's Thread!

·
Registered
161 Posts
While I'm just starting to put one together and it won't be very fancy I wouldn't mind attending such a meet. Just to be a fly on the wall and soak in the information as I'm pretty new to this stuff.

·
Just add water and stir
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeveredDime /forum/post/19157650

While I'm just starting to put one together and it won't be very fancy I wouldn't mind attending such a meet. Just to be a fly on the wall and soak in the information as I'm pretty new to this stuff.

Great! So far it's just you and me. But I am planning to attach a link to my signature to this thread...maybe there are more of us?

You get Vice President status! ahahahhaaha Seriously though it would be a good way for anyone, including those with already finished rooms to improve or further develop a Theater Room. Not to mention, my wife is sick of me talking about it, and bless her heart she just doesn't get it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sounds great, but only on one condition, wives must never meet! I fear they may be long lost sisters.

I know there are a few more guys around, I was following a build thread for a couple of guys but there haven't been updates in awhile.

·
Just add water and stir
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeveredDime /forum/post/19158464

Sounds great, but only on one condition, wives must never meet! I fear they may be long lost sisters.

I know there are a few more guys around, I was following a build thread for a couple of guys but there haven't been updates in awhile.

Dark side of the theater room. Agreed wives must not meet, nor be discussed unless it is to justify our ways.

I am trying to figure out how to get a second job and have the funds deposited into a secret account for future equipment upgrades?

I have tossed the idea around for a few weeks of placing an ad in the examiner (for the meet and greet), and seeing what if anything would come of it? Scary part is attracting bad guys, who want to drool over our stuff and plan evil...We will need a vetting process, like photos or something?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'd wait until winter has set in to make a serious effort at getting a meet together. We are closing in on the end of summer and I'm sure most people are busy trying to make the most of what's left.

Maybe by then this thread will have drummed up some interest and we can take it from there. Beside, I have nothing to talk about yet, a couple of months and I will have the projector up and maybe have made some head way on the overall room layout.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I'd be interested in meeting more of our AV brethren - I've already met and hosted several and agree that perhaps once the snow flies and we return to our winter lairs we might get a better turn out. Put me down for a visit and possible host though once we get a group together. You may want to hit up "Scopeguy", "AltaHomeTheatre" and "jakkb" all local HT guys I've met already that might be interested.

Cheers

Calvin

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would be interested in joining, and in the future hosting.

Just bought a new house, and the theater setup went with the sale of the new place.

Fortunately there is a theater room in the new house just waiting to be reno'd and filled with equipment! Just starting to plan the winter project of which projector, and receiver.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Sure. When the snow flies I'd be in. Couldn't really host though as my "theatre" is about 12ft by 16ft and full of server racks.

Always "planning" though--would love to see what others have done.

·
Just add water and stir
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far this is not bad! I doubt many of us, including myself, can seat more than 6 members, so it may be cool to do show and tell style events too...with BBQ! Or just gather and bring photos. Either way, no matter how it goes, it can only be a good thing to share ideas, thoughts, and tips. Thanks to everyone who posted here so far.

Let's look into this more once the ground is white, (Or at the very least, October).

·
Registered
540 Posts
Sounds good to me!

·
Just add water and stir
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmerman911 /forum/post/19204452

Sounds good to me!

Glimmerman I have similar measurments to your specs, if you want to see any of my plans or do a walk through, just let me know. I also took photo documentry style, so I have every step of the way easily seen and understood (sometimes my explainations get confusing).

·
Registered
540 Posts
Wow, awesome, I would love to see your theater, hopefully you're the first host once the snow flies.

Is your photo documentary the link in your profile, or do you have something additional?

·
Just add water and stir
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmerman911 /forum/post/19217347

Wow, awesome, I would love to see your theater, hopefully you're the first host once the snow flies.

Is your photo documentary the link in your profile, or do you have something additional?

No it's different. I will find it and post...today? Maybe. I will try though!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Super, thank you.

·
Just add water and stir
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmerman911 /forum/post/19217347

This is quick for now, but still tells the story

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post19218327

Now the photo documentry is in my signature, "Build Thread".

Thanks!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Great pics, I'm going to have to leave the camera handy during my build.

·
Just add water and stir
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmerman911 /forum/post/19218567

Great pics, I'm going to have to leave the camera handy during my build.

Thanks Glimmerman. I felt stupid, often stopping to take photos, but I knew their value would come later.

To tell you the truth, I am caught off guard by how much work it really was...the pics really remind me of that. Imagine in a few more years when I am so old I forget how to turn stuff on!

·
Just add water and stir
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgaming42 /forum/post/19227166

You sir, are an inspiration. Great job!

Thank you! I know both my wife and I are very pleased with the end result. I think the key moment for her was when she had her friends and mom over and they said nice things. For me the joy of not having my chair kicked or being disturbed by rude movie audience members is such a treat...not to mention better sound, better picture and no swearing at a ticket counter when the kid asks for $40+ for a night for two!!?!!

We love it!

I am looking forward to our first meet and greet so we can all swap ideas and photos to generate a common understanding. This IS an addiction!

Take care

1 - 20 of 1302 Posts