AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys. I just bought an 8x10" piece of optical glass from Edmund scientific. This glass has a special antireflective coatings that boast 99%+ transmission. I intend to use this in my wall between my G15 and my room.

While I was building the frame for it, I held it up to the light and looked through. It was amazing. I couldn't even tell it was there. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Well I hope this works out the way I expect, I have done a search on this glass on this forum, but I haven't received any real results.

So what do you guys think?

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by t.glinos:
Do you have a contact and part number for Edmond?
Try this http://www.edmundoptics.com/IOD/Disp...productid=1919

I bought one of these from someone over in the classifieds here. Although I have no immediate use for it, I did stick it in front of the projector lens and did not notice any distortion of the image. They cost less than $30 for a 5"x7"

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tony,

Please expound! What does Float glass mean? Any other details?

Thx,

Cameron

p.s. Well so far nobody has said a negative yet. That is hopeful. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

·
Registered
462 Posts
Cameron,

Float glass is generally what you look through in your house window. I'm not sure how it is manufactured today, probably rolled out. Polish glass uses high precision grinders so that both faces of the glass are parallel and the glass is of constant thickness. Float glass generally has some distortion and of course plate glass has minimal distortion.

Tony C

·
Registered
464 Posts
I use this exact glass in my hush box and there is no detectable distortion. It's fine unless your HT costs 100k + and you like to spend money http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

-Peter

[This message has been edited by pcostanz (edited 05-18-2001).]

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Costanza:
I'm not sure how it is manufactured today, probably rolled out. Plate glass uses high precision grinders.
Float glass is manufactured by 'floating' a layer of molten glass onto a pool of molten tin. This gives 2 parallel surfaces without expensive grinding. Most plate glass is now made this way. Rolled glass is the older technique that resulted in non-parallel surfaces and more distortion.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Since my home theater is not finished yet, I use my G11 on a table top in my living room. But after having to clean the lens once after my 2.5 year old decide it was "cool" to touch the bright lens with her greasy finger I decided I needed to protect the lens until it is ceiling mounted.

To do this I just got a 4" round piece of this Edmund glass and taped it to the front of my G11 lens. I also didn't notice a real difference in output and now don't even worry about putting the lens cap on between viewings.

-- Dieter

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys,

I did install my glass today. No distortion that I could see! The great thing is that I used to be able to barely hear my projector through the hole. Now I can't even hear whether it is on or off. Yay

------------------

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hi folks,

i am also very interested in this glass for my hushbox. Its very encouraging to hear that you guys don't notice any distotions. But what about brightness? I have also experimented with several glasses and also with plexiglass. A found getting no distortions is not that difficult, but all i tried had some visible light loss.

Its not so much that its immediately noticable if you simply do a before/after comparisson. Could anyone please do this experiment: Slide the glass in and out of the projection pass (completely parralel, of course) VERY quickly and don't stop looking at the picture. Use 100IRE white field as a source for example. You can also get someone else to do this and concentrate on the picture only. Does the brightness change at all? With all kinds of glass and plexi i tried, it did. Although some claimed 95-99% transmission.

Best regards

Bjoern

------------------
My HT in action | Fifth Element Shots | My Ultimate Guide to Edge Enhancement

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,

I've bought this glass 6 months ago and I've done this test.

The difference before/after is unoticeable and the result in a hushbox is perfect.

------------------

Serge Lacroix - Cherbourg - France

·
Registered
833 Posts
Serge,

great! Seeing that you are located in europe as well...

1)Where did you get it from, directly from the link above?

2)How much was shipping, how long did it take?

3)How was it packaged, no fear of braking?

4)Is a any custom size possible?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards

Bjoern

------------------
My HT in action | Fifth Element Shots | My Ultimate Guide to Edge Enhancement

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bjoern,

1)Where did you get it from, directly from the link above?

Yes.

2)How much was shipping, how long did it take?

About $10. It arrived 2 weeks later.

3)How was it packaged, no fear of braking?

It was well packaged.

4)Is a any custom size possible?

I don't know that. May be yes but this may

raise significantly the price.

------------------

Serge Lacroix - Cherbourg - France

[This message has been edited by selac (edited 05-29-2001).]

·
Registered
437 Posts
I finished my hush box (sorta - still tweaking fans etc.) for my G11 a couple of weeks ago and have the Edmond 8 X 10" glass installed A strange thing happened to my glass, however. The factory installed film had a bubble about the size of a silver dollar, making the film not in contact with the glass. When I pulled off the film, looking straight down on the glass, there was a border of blue on the glass where the bubble had been. Concerned, I contacted technical support at Edmond. They said that the anti-reflective coating on this glass was pretty tough. I cleaned it with a camera lens liquid cleaner and a lens paper. It took at least 4 cleanings however to get ridge removed. Also I have what appears to be smears on the surface of the glass when it is viewed from s certain angle. When in use, I can’t say as I have seen any degradation in the picture quality and I have been watching a fare amount of HD material off my small dish system. I am still trying to decide whether to send the glass (a hassle I don’t need) back or not. I think it’s more of a physiological thing than a real image quality thing.

Don

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.