AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 610 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 /forum/post/21586878

Hey guys, couple of quick questions for ya.

1. How much polyfill should I use per box??

2. How would you guys connect the amp??

Im running a Denon 4311ci to an SMS-1. Im thinking of running a coupl of XLR's from the SMS to the clone amp. What ya guys think??

A couple of cheap wal-mart pillows would probably be sufficient per enclosure. What Scott said about 1lb per cuft sounds about right for 100% fill. I wouldn't want to add then test and add some more fill with a 90+ lb driver though, you could lose a finger that way

I would first connect the amp directly to the Denon's dual sub outs then run Audyssey. I have seen some reports that Audyssey can add some boost down low although I have not experienced that personally. Use your SMS-1 to measure the subs after Audyssey does it's thing and if the subs need some boost down low then put the SMS-1 into the mix. If you use the SMS-1 it is a mono device so you can only use the Sub1 output from your Denon. The SubEQ in your 4311 only sets distance(phase) and levels separately for dual subs but then EQ's them as one.

Your going to need RCA to XLR converters since the Denon only has RCA sub outs and the clone amp XLR inputs. I know Monoprice has some RCA to XLR cables and there local to you.

Once your set-up if you need some help then let me know and I can help tweak them out.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio /forum/post/21587278

A couple of cheap wal-mart pillows would probably be sufficient per enclosure. What Scott said about 1lb per cuft sounds about right for 100% fill. I wouldn't want to add then test and add some more fill with a 90+ lb driver though, you could lose a finger that way

I would first connect the amp directly to the Denon's dual sub outs then run Audyssey. I have seen some reports that Audyssey can add some boost down low although I have not experienced that personally. Use your SMS-1 to measure the subs after Audyssey does it's thing and if the subs need some boost down low then put the SMS-1 into the mix. If you use the SMS-1 it is a mono device so you can only use the Sub1 output from your Denon. The SubEQ in your 4311 only sets distance(phase) and levels separately for dual subs but then EQ's them as one.

Your going to need RCA to XLR converters since the Denon only has RCA sub outs and the clone amp XLR inputs. I know Monoprice has some RCA to XLR cables and there local to you.

Once your set-up if you need some help then let me know and I can help tweak them out.

I think I have some XLR adaters already, i'll double check. I'll get some on order if i dont.

How about a 12pk for some help Mike???

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/21587165

I personally don't use polyfill but the amount just depends on how much you want to put in there. Most people who want to use that stuff correctly put some in, measure, add more or take out, measure again. I just line the walls with fiberglass. Easy.
Seriously though, back in the day most would say they want 50% fill or 100% fill. IIRC, it was 1lb per cubic foot equals 100% fill.

Connect the amp? Well... you said you have the SMS-1, hook up the output from that to your amp. Bam!

As always Scott, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha /forum/post/21587151

In the first post.

Finished.

Wow, I missed an entire paragraph. Triple baffle and rear, 1" on the rest of the walls. Nice.

Good luck moving those things around. Remember to warm up first and use proper lifting techniques.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/21587369

Wow, I missed an entire paragraph. Triple baffle and rear, 1" on the rest of the walls. Nice.

Good luck moving those things around. Remember to warm up first and use proper lifting techniques.

The Conquests I just sold werent exactly light-weights.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio /forum/post/21587906

dont order the rca-xlr cables from monoprice, they tend to have LOTS of bad batches of those. All three I ordered came DOA. I ordered some off amazon for 5 bucks a shot, and they have all worked thus far.

Thanks for the heads up bro. But since they're 10mins from me I think I'll take my chances. Worst case scenerio i'll drive back there till i find a good one.

·
Premium Member
14,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 /forum/post/21588071

Thanks for the heads up bro. But since they're 10mins from me I think I'll take my chances. Worst case scenerio i'll drive back there till i find a good one.

yea that wouldnt be too bad then. I love all their other stuff, just bad luck with those particular cables, give a slap to reality for me and tell em to figure out what they are doing wrong...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio /forum/post/21588176

yea that wouldnt be too bad then. I love all their other stuff, just bad luck with those particular cables, give a slap to reality for me and tell em to figure out what they are doing wrong...

Looking through the spare cable box, I found some stuff I could use. Looks like all I need is 1 XLR cable. I'll just avoid the adapters all together.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Twins arrived safe and sound.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks man!

So I got a chance to bolt-in the basket assemblies last night. Happy to report that the tops went on just fine. I didn't run into any problems bolting the two pieces together.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Awesome!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha /forum/post/21601709

Good to hear...(secretly wishes a bolt or two were off)

Just hoping my clone doesn't blow fuses when it gets here next week.

21 - 40 of 610 Posts