AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to finally pick up a plasma this xmas season. I'll be buying a 42" for a kids playroom. This display will see 20% DVD, 70% gaming and 10% SDTV (Dish Network).

My son plays xbox and ps2 games. Is there any compelling reason to consider the HD vs the ED if I'm not likely to use the display for much more than Gaming and DVD's?

Obviously the Panasonic EDTV will get the nod if I go ED vs HD.

Thanks,

bradesp

·
Registered
395 Posts
Depends how good your kids eyesight is ;)

The Xbox has mostly games that are 480p, but does have a decent number of 720p games, so make sure the TV can at least accept a 720p input and downconvert.

In addition, the next-generation of consoles will likely have many games that support 720p and possibly even 1080i/p. These consoles will be appearing in the next 12-24 months. Obviously they'll still work with an ED TV, but won't look as good.

So, all depends on how hardcore you are. Personally, as an avid/pro gamer I'm waiting for a decent and affordable 1080p LCD to hit the market. If you're more casual, it's probably not worth waiting.

·
Registered
730 Posts
great that you're willing to plunk down $3,000-5,000.00 bucks for your kids' gaming/movie television, but, i'd personally hold off and if i HAD to get them a tv, it'd not be plasma, maybe a sony HD/ED tube or something.

i have the panny 42ED6UY and play xbox on it, but, it's mine, lol. i watch movies and high def programming, i'd just have a tuff time justifying a purchase like this for my kids to play games on and the occasional disney movie.

do you, and significant other, get to enjoy a plasma elsehwere in the house?

maybe i'm coming off being selfish here, but, i allow my kids to watch tv on the plasma, but, the bottom line is, it's daddy's tv.

maybe a topic better suited for the gaming forum? i absolutely love my xbox games on the ED however.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I would get them a tube base tv or an LCD tv instead. Burn-in may be an issue for the plasma.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MRPJC,

Fair enough, but I don't think I'll be more than 2.5K in the hole when all is said and done with an EDTV.

BTW, my daughter is a jock, so she and I "bond" through sports... My son, go figure, isn't the least bit interested in sports, so one of the few interests he and I actually share time doing together is gaming! Mind you, I'm lousy, so we stick to games I can actually compete (Golf, Baseball, Halo, etc.). So for me, it's still a "selfish" purchase... it's something I'll use while gaming with my son AND it's something I'll use with my son and I are relegated to the playroom to watch our "dvd's"... My wife and daughter generally pull rank when it comes to DVD selection on the Main Family Room Setup..

Also, my main family room TV is a 65" HD Pioneer Elite 16x9... I've yet to see a plasma that looks as nice... so I'm not jeolous if my son get's to watch his plasma and when I bought the Pioneer in 2000 and paid nearly 6K, folks thought I had lost my mind... Until they saw the picture ofcourse, and then they we're sold :)

Lastly, BobDobalina you too make a very good point. With games increasingly available in 720 and 1020 HD could very well prove worth looking into...

Bradesp

·
Registered
730 Posts
ok, i completely understand then bradesp...

my kids aren't at the age where we can bond on game playing, so, i can certainly appreciate the time you have with your kids in front of the display.

you said EDTV... so, you've decided then?

as i posted, i have the panny 6wduy and it's beautiful to play on, as well as watch dvd and programming. i sit exactly 10feet back, and, marvel at my purchase every evening.

that model has come down alot in the past couple of months too.

i think it boils down to your own pref... hd vs. ed and how far back you sit imho.

good luck bruddah!

pat.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrpjc

as i posted, i have the panny 6wduy and it's beautiful to play on, as well as watch dvd and programming. i sit exactly 10feet back, and, marvel at my purchase every evening.

that model has come down alot in the past couple of months too.

i think it boils down to your own pref... hd vs. ed and how far back you sit imho.
Ditto! :D

-JR

p.s. I sit 8 feet back. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.