AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Tweeter last night to check on plasmas. I was pretty set on 42PWD8UY, but i needed to do a side by side comparison of EDTV vs HDTV.

Dimmed lights, OTA HDTV broadcast of some football game. aabout 6-8 feet from the each couple of sets.

First couple of sets was 42" Samsung EDTV vs 42" Pioneer Elite HDTV. No doubts - Pioneer had more details. I thought i was set on HDTV, than salesman told me to go check out one more set.

second pair - consumer 42" EDTV Panasonic and 70" top of the line Sony LCD. No difference in details. Zero. None. Absolutely the same picture, even thought Sony's much bigger.

The answer for me - No noname plasma, no korean plasmas, Panasonic EDTV is the one to get.

·
Registered
589 Posts
hmm ... that pioneer hd would best samsung ed is not surprising.

that standard-size panny plasma ed would look better than a massive sony LCD is also not surprising.

how that equals ED beats HD ... i dont' know...unless you were set on an ED in the first place, which you were

·
Registered
40 Posts
Seems to me that if you wanted a good EDTV vs. HDTV side by side test, you should have looked at the Samsung 42" EDTV vs. the Samsung 42" HDTV or compared the equivalent Panasonic EDTV vs. HDTV. You did Samsung vs. Pioneer and plasma vs. LCD projection tests.

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
Your "second pair" comparison is meaningless. You can't compare a 42" set to a 70" set.

Your 42" set's display area is ~900 square inches, whereas the 70" set's display area is ~2756 square inches.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinzano
how that equals ED beats HD ... i dont' know...unless you were set on an ED in the first place, which you were
I am not saying ED beats HD - but good brand ED is as good as a good brand HD with HDTV content.

Not trying to say i saw the light, but just my observations..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinzano
exactly ... but, you know, stores tend to do that, i've noticed. mix it up a bit
Exactly, what the point of having 30 displays if the best bang for the $ is only one model and customer can find it ? ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711
Your "second pair" comparison is meaningless. You can't compare a 42" set to a 70" set.

Your 42" set's display area is ~900 square inches, whereas the 70" set's display area is ~2756 square inches.
I was looking for more details in grass, people, uniform, text - that way 70" helped me - zooming out extra details in HD, but there were none. If i coudn't read the players name on EDTV set - i couldn't on HDTV either.

I was wondering if people buying noname 42" HDTV set for the price of Panny 42" EDTV getting a good deal - most likely they don't

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity
No CableCARD with the PD50U... a deal-killer for me... get either the PX50 or 500U... you won't be sorry... :)
I am completely against consumer models - i don't want speakers that i never use with my 7.1 setup, i don't wan't tuner i never use with my DirectTV DVR, i want industrial model with non-silver case and expansion slots.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill
second pair - consumer 42" EDTV Panasonic and 70" top of the line Sony LCD. No difference in details. Zero. None. Absolutely the same picture, even thought Sony's much bigger.

The answer for me - No noname plasma, no korean plasmas, Panasonic EDTV is the one to get.
You're lucky - i was all set to buy a 42" ED plasma but in side by side comparison to the 42" HD models at CC i could clearly see SDE at 10 feet on the EDs where it simply wasn't there at all on the HD set at 7 feet. Since my home viewing distance ranges from 7-9 feet the ED plasma was out of the question and i had to plunk down another $800 for the HD model. Damn my good eyesight !

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
Quote:
If i coudn't read the players name on EDTV set - i couldn't on HDTV either.

My guess is that you were NOT viewing HDTV source material.

Note: Sometimes HDTV broadcasts (sports in particular) are done in part using SD cameras. Not all of the shots are truly in HD.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Quote:
Sometimes HDTV broadcasts (sports in particular) are done in part using SD cameras. Not all of the shots are truly in HD
I think that this is one problem that plagues side by side viewing, the source material. I have asked at different store what the source is and have been given different answers at the same place. Also, it couldbe an HD feed but maybe upconverted or as in the quote above. I have seen some ED plasmas that look pretty good side by side to an HD but that was from 12+ feet, however I could still see the difference in detail. I see no way an ED could look as good, the only question is how SD sources look between the two because I have yet to see a display that had an SD source for comparison. Personally I don't care so much though, if you are buying an HD monitor then of course SD sources will not look as good.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711
My guess is that you were NOT viewing HDTV source material.
That's a very good point. I'll keep it in mind if i am going to check out more tvs

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
You're lucky - i was all set to buy a 42" ED plasma but in side by side comparison to the 42" HD models at CC i could clearly see SDE at 10 feet on the EDs where it simply wasn't there at all on the HD set at 7 feet. Since my home viewing distance ranges from 7-9 feet the ED plasma was out of the question and i had to plunk down another $800 for the HD model. Damn my good eyesight !
For me SDE wasn't an issue form where i watched it. But I can noticed it if i was getting closer to screen. Were you looking at good brand sets ?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
To really get a fair test you need to compare ED and HD sets that are the same size. Comparing a 42" set to a 70" inch set is not a valid comparison.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
For me SDE wasn't an issue form where i watched it. But I can noticed it if i was getting closer to screen. Were you looking at good brand sets ?
Panasonic 42PX50U and 42PD50U mostly, but also the new Sammy ED (not what i'd consider a brand name though), Hitachi ED and Sony HD and Pioneer HD if i remember correctly (i usually do :) All were 42" as that's the onlyl size i was interested in.

While i could see SDE on the ED sets at 10 feet, a guy next to me had to get to about 7 feet before he saw it on the same set. Just goes to show how some people see things that others don't. Sux to be me !!

·
Registered
101 Posts
since panny has a 42 ED and a 42 HD, go compare those and come back when you've done so. The ED might have slightly better blacks if you are looking at 2 models that are the same generation, because the ED can get higher contrast ratios. But you get SDE and you get less resolution with a legitimate HD source. Tweeter has a decent distribution system in-house (ours does, anyway), so if the signal is high-quality enough, it can look very good. If you can't see a difference between ED and HD then buy the ED, it's cheaper. But don't try and tell us the ED looks better or has just as much detail. Might as well tell me that your monitor is set to 640x480 and you can see the forums as well as I can at 1280x1024.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benpatient
since panny has a 42 ED and a 42 HD, go compare those and come back when you've done so.
Exactly what I did today. The local CC has the 42PD50U and 42PX50U side by side and i was able to view both SD and HD on both sets for about an hour today. I had the remote and was able to set them up identically:

Contrast: 20

Brightness: 10

Color: -5

Sharpness: 0

Auto Color : Off

MPEG NR: Off

Video NR: Off

Black Level: Light (Dark setting resulted in bottled up shadow detail on both sets)

Randy must be one of those lucky devils who has better than 20/20 vision. My vision is 20/20 (corrected with glasses), and from 9 feet away I couldn't see any SDE. Small images of text (maybe an inch high on the screen) did appear marginally softer on the PD50, but still just as legible as the PX50 text.

Blacks seemed a tiny bit blacker on the PX50, which surprised me because the marketing specs would lead you to expect otherwise. However, shadow detail was equal on both screens. I suppose I could have bumped the contrast up a bit on the 42PD50 to match the PX50 blacks if I really wanted to, but the picture was so pleasing I didn't want to futz with it. I'm an advocate of the Harkness Steaming Rat method of display calibration, and I thought I had both these displays looking pretty good in spite of the harsh in-store lighting I was up against.

HD programming looked virtually identical to my eyes at 9 feet. SD looked a tad better on the PD50, but marginally so. The SD performance of the PX50 was still totally acceptable.

I'm a DirecTV HDTivo user, so lack of a cablecard slot is not a factor for me. I'm looking for a second plasma for the bedroom where I lay in bed about 10 feet away and usually view WITHOUT my glasses on, so I think the PD50 is perfect for my needs. I'm fortunate enough to be able to watch a Fujitsu 50XHA40US in my living room, and, as a result, I thought that I wouldn't be happy with anything less than a Fujitsu 42" ED in the bedroom. After viewing the PD50 for some time, however, I don't think the difference in Fujitsu/Panny picture quality is commensurate with the difference in what the MSRP will be on 8/28 (unless of course Fujitsu lowers their prices as well!) The Fujitsu 42ED currently has a 20% higher MSRP without its $250 optional speakers, which are standard on the PD50.

/steve

·
Registered
175 Posts
Anyone interested in a 42" plasma should seriously consider the NEC 42VR5. It's picture quality is only rivaled by the Fujitsus and Elite Pios. The internal scaler and components can display up 68 billion colors. I've always hated the false contouring and lack of smooth gradients in the pannys and most other panels. Clay face, etc. Not with the VR5. You would have to spend a lot more to get the quality of panel that the VR5 is. It also comes with a 3 year warranty. It has a ton of tweakable settings.

The reaosn you don't hear about the VR5 more is because NEC doesn't have the disctribution channels panny and others do. I am postive if the NEC VR5 was as available as readily as the pannys you'd hear twice as much talk about the VR5 as you do the pannys.

Search the forum for the 42VR5 or VR5. This amazing ED plasma is the hidden gem in the plasma world.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.