AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone point me toward a good on-line write-up of the digital OTA broadcast standard and how this business of sub-channels and virtual channel numbers works. I'm a retired EE, so I'm looking for something at a fairly sophisticated level.

Our local PBS station (KQED) is doing a great job with getting HD and SD widescreen programming on the air, but the shuffling of sub-channels is frustrating and confusing. If I understood the underlying technology a little better, I'd probably still be frustrated, but I might be a little less confused.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
The ATSC web site has a full roster of the standards used for our OTA DTV system. Have Fun!
http://www.atsc.org/standards.html

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
121 Posts
KQED recently sent out a mailing explaining some of the quirks with their broadcasts...

"PBS has numbered their subchannel streams/program numbers to 3, 4, 5, and 6 because some PSIP regenerator/modifiers do not recognize streams 1 and/or 2. PBS also sends PSIP info on its feeds. If we are passing the PBS signal straight through, KQED is unable to strip off the PBS PSIP info, and some receivers will read that, rather than the channel you're actually tuned to."

"So, if we are passing through a PBS signal, the signal will start at 30.3 (or 80.3 if that's how your receiver identifies it), and go on up through 30.6 (80.6) if PBS is multicasting"

Send a message to [email protected] with a subject of SUBSCRIBE if you are interesting in getting on the HDTV mailing list.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.