AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see there are 2 versions of the Edward Scissorhands dvd out there. One is fullscreen which I would prefer not to get. I also see the widescreen is in Dolby 4.0. Doe's this mean the front center channel is not available? Does anyone have this dvd that could comment on what they think of the audio. Should I hold out, in hopes that a 5.1 version will come out some day? I'd appreciate anyones thoughts. BTW, I though Big Fish was great over all, though parts moved a bit slowly.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The 4.0 means that your two mains and center channel will be active but the surrounds are in mono. Edward Scissorhands was released in 1990, and Dolby digital didn't come about theatrically until 1992, so the 4.0 is likely the original soundtrack. This film is mostly dialog based, and going to 5.1 wouldn't really add much to it, which is likely it wasn't remixed into 5.1 when the dvd was released.

Being 4.0, you will have your two front mains and center channel active, but the surrounds will be in mono. I don't recall there really being much surround action in this one anyway. I would highly doubt there will be a new 5.1 release anytime soon. I have this one and find the sound perfectly adequte for the film. Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.