AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice.
I have a JVC DLA X-3/RS40 Projector which lacks a CMS feature.

I calibrated it to D65 using the i1 Display Pro colorimeter. I also created a 3dlut table for madvr with it. The result is pretty amazing and I was wondering if i can get a similar result for a full RGB signal 0-255 from a PS4 console using eecolor 3dlut box?
Is it worth buying?

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
I need some advice.

I calibrated it to D65 using the i1 Display Pro colorimeter. I also created a 3dlut table for madvr with it. The result is pretty amazing and I was wondering if i can get a similar result for a full RGB signal 0-255 from a PS4 console using eecolor 3dlut box?
Is it worth buying?
Hi, eeColor will work for video range signal, not for full range, because while the eeColor is 65-Point Cube, the 65th point is not adjustable, its bypass.

But it can work if you output RGB-Video or YCbCr from the PS4 (max 1080p60 input eeColor is supporting).

·
Registered
658 Posts
I need some advice.

Is it worth buying?
I can't answer your question fully as I don't have that setup. However, I have an old Samsung 67" LED DLP TV(the last batch of DLP tv made my Samsung). I was oblivious of color accuracy and other related things for the first 8 years, although I copied the settings suggested by a very helpful individual(Lee Bailey) who was participating very much in those days. Eventually, I got interested in the calibration and bought a meter and slowly got into the hobby and then realized how far off my color balances were. Red was the worst culprit and no matter how much I adjusted in the service menu I had very large luminance errors in Red and other colors as well.

I still wasn't sure the Eecolor Lut would be of much value to me but based on the fact that it is usable even for my next TV(for the REC 709 signals) I ended up buying one to basically try it. I am so glad that I did as I still cannot believe the results. With the Eecolor box my colors now have delta E2000 errors of less than 0.8(most under 0.5). I never thought a little box could that for a 10 year old TV. I am extremely happy with the purchase and hope that when I buy my next 4K TV it will be just as useful, although TVs today are much better ootb. In my opinion, it is worth every dollar, as REC 709 is going to stay with us for a while.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I purchased one recently from Ted. It has made all the difference on my LG OLED. While only 1080p, everything just looks more ‘right’. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need some advice.

Is it worth buying?
Hi, eeColor will work for video range signal, not for full range, because while the eeColor is 65-Point Cube, the 65th point is not adjustable, its bypass.
But it can work if you output RGB-Video or YCbCr from the PS4 (max 1080p60 input eeColor is supporting).
But if i use less than 65 point 3dlut .In example 33 can i operate with full RGB signal?

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
But if i use less than 65 point 3dlut .In example 33 can i operate with full RGB signal?
No, eeColor is mapping the 65 points to a 0-1023 (10 bit) signal.

For the example below, I will use 8-bit number, so 0-255.

The 65th Point; 255 is bypass, the 64th is 235 and its adjustable.

When you calibrate for Video Levels (the reason the 3D LUT Box is designed for HT market) the levels you are going to use are TV Legal Video Range Levels (16-235).

So when you are generating a 3D LUT file for eeColor, your software (DisplayCAL/CalMAN/LightSpace) it will generate a 65-Point Cube file where inside your correction will be handled from 56-Point for (video levels).

For example all Lumagen's work for 16-235, so for any cube size each model will have 5/9/17-Point), all these points are mapped to 16-235 (using 10-bit adjustable values...64-940)

If you set your PS4 output to YCbCr, then the signal will be 16-235, because always YCbCr is video levels (TV Legal)....and asking from your calibration software to generate a 3D LUT for video levels you will be fine. This is what all eeColor users are doing for years with success.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, eeColor is mapping the 65 points to a 0-1023 (10 bit) signal.

For the example below, I will use 8-bit number, so 0-255.

The 65th Point; 255 is bypass, the 64th is 235 and its adjustable.

When you calibrate for Video Levels (the reason the 3D LUT Box is designed for HT market) the levels you are going to use are TV Legal Video Range Levels (16-235).

So when you are generating a 3D LUT file for eeColor, your software (DisplayCAL/CalMAN/LightSpace) it will generate a 65-Point Cube file where inside your correction will be handled from 56-Point for (video levels).

For example all Lumagen's work for 16-235, so for any cube size each model will have 5/9/17-Point), all these points are mapped to 16-235 (using 10-bit adjustable values...64-940)

If you set your PS4 output to YCbCr, then the signal will be 16-235, because always YCbCr is video levels (TV Legal)....and asking from your calibration software to generate a 3D LUT for video levels you will be fine. This is what all eeColor users are doing for years with success.

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.:)

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.:)
I forgot to add that Full Range (PC/Data Level) calibration can't be performed with any Lumagen model also. But for Video Levels you will have no problem with any Lumagen or eeColor.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Fro anyone interested, I just heard from Ted that the Black Friday price is $50 lower now. I am seriously thinking of getting one more as once these are sold out, I don't think they are going to manufacture any more. For anyone wanting to try 3D Lut, this is the least expensive one. Others are in the 4 figure range.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I need some advice.

Is it worth buying?
I have Lumagen PRO but I saw that Ted has special offer again until the end of the year for eeColors, so I placed an order to test it using LightSpace with 21-Point Cube 3D LUT.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
I'm about to upgrade my JVC to a 4K projector , will I be able to continue using my eecolor box with something like a hdfury?
Hi,

eeColor can be used for SDR REC.709 3D LUT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts