AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Electronic Frontier Foundation , along with Vereniging Open Source Nederland, the Digital Speech Project, and the Free Software Foundation came out with a scathing criticism of the Broadcast Protection Discussion Group's work to date.

I'm quoting some choice paragraphs below.

Regarding exclusion of the press and public:
Quote:
Perhaps most important, there can be no "consensus" until consumers and their representatives have had an opportunity to review and digest the proposal. The deliberate exclusion of the press from BPDG meetings has hampered this, but that is no excuse for declaring a consensus before all interested parties, including the public, consumer groups, video hobbyists, and others have been able to review the proposals.
Regarding the dissent from with the BPDG itself:
Quote:
EFF/VOSN/DSP/FSF has noticed a lack of consensus from various members regarding the drafts and schedules proposed by the co-chairs. Recent messages from Philips, Sharp and Zenith are good examples.
Regarding our right to fully use equipment we legally purchased:
Quote:
EFF/VOSN/DSP/FSF would like this group to safeguard the right of end-users to tinker with, modify, understand and repurpose the technology that they have lawfully acquired.
Regarding open source:
Quote:
EFF/VOSN/DSP/FSF is concerned that this will have the effect of making users of free/open source operating systems into second-class video-citizens, incapable of viewing full-resolution video on their systems (as open source/free code cannot satisfy the existing robustness rules).
For more information, see Consensus at Lawyerpoint .

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Thanks for posting that Sean.

All, please join the EFF.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I haven't beren able to get my normally trusty link to the Lawyerpoint site from my bookmarks to work all day today. And the link that Sean posted won't work, either. What's up?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blah. Looks like all of eff.org is down. Maybe they've been attacked by MPAA-employed hackers? :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EFF is back up, as well as Consensus at Lawyerpoint. No idea why there were down for so long.

All, please join the EFF. (And not just because you can get a nifty bumpersticker and T-shirt.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.