AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, personally haven't seen this discussed much, so if this is old hat, just ignore.

After reading a recent post on the "neutral" thread touting the abilities of BD recording in PCs, it reminded me of thoughts I've had for some time.

1. If this war does drag on awhile and maybe as much as until J6P is finally ready...

2. If his bi-yearly Dell purchase now comes with this BD-R thingy...

What is to keep him from thinking that BD is THE future for movies as well?

Discuss.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketcha /forum/post/0

I, personally haven't seen this discussed much, so if this is old hat, just ignore.

After reading a recent post on the "neutral" thread touting the abilities of BD recording in PCs, it reminded me of thoughts I've had for some time.

1. If this war does drag on awhile and maybe as much as until J6P is finally ready...

Discuss.

the media costs way more per GB than regular DVDs to burn. the bunrners, even on ebay, are mostly at least $450 and from stores a couple hundred more than that. one can get an HD DVD drive external for $150 from a retail store....

that said, I did manage to find a blu-ray burner for my PC for $350 so I sprung (for movies not burning, at least not until the media comes wy down in price).

but I did get the HD DVD drive first.

the media costs much to burn and the drives can be added either internally or externally for less fro HD DVD, so seems HD DVD still has advantage here in the push.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The BD-RE's are now cheaper than when I first bought my 4.7GB DVD-RW blank. The burners are a cheaper than my first DVD-R burner.

I think the key to how this unfolds is the quality of the movie authoring tools you can get on this thing.

The storage side for people who need it on the PC is already moving there, the question is whether this becomes the chosen disk format to archive home movies to play on the Highdef players.

I say it is very likely to go BD very easily. It won't happen overnight but it is inevitable. Consider the AVCHD red laser format. To burn HD AVC at 14Mbps on an 8cm DVD-RW, you get only 14minutes. The HD camcorders will all move to the 8cm BD-RE. As these camcorders migrate down in pricepoint, the convergence on the storage format will happen.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes /forum/post/0

Have you actually looked at the cost of a 15GB HD DVD-R and compared it to the cost of a 25GB BD-R?

Have you seen any HD DVD burners for sale?

i was thinking burning SD DVD vs Blu-ray in terms of price.

for HD home video, SD DVD is obviously small enough to be a pain, but I think, and perhaps I am wrong, that burning HD home videos is by far not the largest use at this time.

so right now I don't see it really moving the drives faster than a cheap a HD DVD play only drive. I just see $450 ($650+) vs. $150 ($250). If someone sees a link to add $100 vs. $400to their PC'stotal cost, think more likely to hit the former.but i honestly don't know the marketing data and all. i could be way off.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I honestly don't think that burnables of either format will have any impact on the format war.

Media cost is WAY too high. Given that these are such a niche product, I see them being used only in specialized situations. Why? I don't think there is enough consumer momentum to drive down the media cost to the same degree that DVD+/-R were driven down. Heck, most J6P computer users are still transitioning from CD-R to DVD+/-R burning, let alone anything greater.

The adoption is going to be slower than it was for DVD+/-R, and IMO the format war will be decided before the media is cheap enough for the burning to have an impact.

Now, that doesn't mean that one format can't win the "movie format war" and the other can't win the "storage format war." It doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition...

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I was mainly thinking about name recognition. Someone gets a fancy new Vaio and without requesting it, it comes with this BDE-R device, or whatever they're called.

Just one more way of putting Blu-ray in the back a' the ol' noggin.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketcha /forum/post/0

Discuss.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but what is J6P? I keep hearing about it but have no clue to what it is. Sorry guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.