AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
No!

edit: I misread that. My answer should have been yes!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Yes I would. When I first began researching projectors about 18-24 months ago the NEC LT-150 was the latest hot projector. Without knowing anything about contrast and black levels one thing just kept me from the LT-150. The resolution, or lack of it to be more specific. There was no way I could see paying for a 1024x768 projector when 100% of my viewing would be at least 16:9. Sorry but the latest NEC has the same problem. As it turns out I was bored one night and decided to browse the CRT forum and the rest is history. After a little research I was able to determine that I could get a kick ass 8" CRT for 1/2 the cost of a digital.

I would also like to take a moment to thank all my fellow CRT'ers for all the great advice. In particular I remember the helpful advice from Alex Millians. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
yes i would still buy a crt projector

if i only had the money i had six years ago

for a projector 200.00$$$ i would probably

have to get a advent videobeam

just like i did the first time

bth i still have this projector

in my collection

now if i was buying my first projector

now and i still have the money i have

now i would and did buy a new sony 1292

projector in fact three of them

so i guess at least at my house its

going to be crt forever

XANATOS

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scottatl
If this was your first visit to the forum, and you read the HT1000 thread in this area, would you have purchased a CRT?
HECK, YES. YOU CAN NOW BUY A $20,000 CRT PROJECTOR FOR

A FEW HUNDRED CLAMS. THAT ONE'S A NO BRAINER. BUT BEING

A BI-BOY I'D GET ME A DIGITAL TOO.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
You bet I would. Bang for the buck decision. I simply CANNOT get a better picture for a few hundred bucks. I just don't have digital money.

Marc

·
Registered
609 Posts
I would buy another CRT today because of the cost, both initial and long-term.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would buy a crt and plan to purchase one in a month or so. Crt seems to me the best bet for picture quality although digital has ease of use and mobility. Cost of bulbs is another factor of digital. I would rather spend the time for setting up a crt and get years out of it without having to buy replacement bulbs every 1000hrs.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Yes, CRT all the way.

From what I'm hearing about this PJ you have to spend $5,000.00 to get a 70" wide image.

Deron.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Digitals are no fun :|

point and shoot...not enuf to tweak

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
While I was burned on my CRT-based RPTV and really discouraged on going CRT-FP, the initial costs and 'other' factors kept me right where I am today, in CRTland.

While the HT1000 may be a nice unit, I cannot natively do HDTV, and the idea of running DVD in 720x480 is simply depressing. So, while the HT1000 is a nice product, even its current price point will start to find some serious competition.

I would have to say that I concluded the HT1000 could not even comepte in the GE Imager I recently bought, and at more than $2K less in price.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Opps, I misvoted. Take one off no and add to yes!!!!

lol

Terry

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Why do we spend so much time on this wanna-be technology?

So far, it has not closed the gap, it still does not have the resolution, it's still not capable of going totally black, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc...

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
While the HT1000 may be a nice unit, I cannot natively do HDTV, and the idea of running DVD in 720x480 is simply depressing.
I don't know anybody who would run DVD at 720x480 on an HT1000.

--Darin

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I would still buy CRT but if you look at the numbers and the responses which are mostly from CRTers such as myself then it is obvious that the thread killed CRT.

Thanks all you HT1000 guys.

Now I can get another one real cheap. Maybe I'll buy another XGLC for a spare. The kicker will be when Bob goes out and buys a 9500 for 500 then sells the HT1000 to a newb for 4K. LOL It's the ultimate bargain move by "the Sultan Of Cheap"

BTW I just found out the the Hyundai Tiberon outperforms my Porsche so I'm selling it cheap and all you Porsche owners should do the same. Please PM me with the year and model of your Porsche and how much you want for it now that you know the Hyundai outperforms it. Maybe I'll help ya out and buy it from you. GETTING MY DRIFT????

·
Registered
722 Posts
The kicker will be when Bob goes out and buys a 9500 for 500 then sells the HT1000 to a newb for 4K.

Very true. As soon as biboy finds a cheap enough xg/9500 lc their will be a "Ive seen the Black!" thread and the ht1000 will be on the block. As a crt consumer I dont mind. its the noobs that are hurt by this.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Quote:
its the noobs that are hurt by this
I believe that ot be partially true. Some noobs will miss out on the value and performance of used high end CRT and end up with an inferior D*****.

On the other hand the smart Noobs will reap huge benefits since METHINKS the bottom will fall out.

IMO The ones that are really hurt are the resellers. I have a Marquee 8500 that I think just got harder to sell but it is the higher volume guys that are truly hurt.

Quote:
Man, give me a few threads and I should be able to cure cancer and bring world peace
After world peace and cancer can you fix my ruptured achilles so I don't have to spend so much time pestering people on the forums?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.