AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed my Samsung 507 DLP monitor on top of a JBL B460 subwoofer.

The B460 is a staggering behemoth, 38x25x25, more than 8 cubic feet of internal volume, (3) 4 1/2 inch diameter tuned ports, a gargantuan JBL Pro Division 18 inch driver. This is same driver used to create sound effects in Lucas THX certified motion picture theaters. The magnet assembly alone weighs 20 lbs! This speaker system will convincingly reproduce earthquakes and cannon shots!

Driving the speaker is a Carver component amplifier, outputting 800 watts continuous rms. The lights dim momentarily when switched on.

Resting the 507 on top of the B460 subwoofer presents a few problems.

1.) The sound pressure waves cause the plastic panels of the 507 to buzz and vibrate.

2.) The 125 pound cabinet of the B460 vibrates underneath the 507 when driven to high levels.

3.) Walls, floors, windows, and glass objects all buzz, rattle and vibrate at high sound pressure levels.

4.) The magnetic flux density (12,200 gauss) of the 2245H 18 inch JBL Pro driver presents no problem for the 507, no effect on picture quality, no effect on the electronics, color wheel, DMD or HD2 chip that I can ascertain.

5.) Whoever it was that speculated he had a bad pixel problem from placing a small, shielded center channel speaker underneath the 507, was likely mistaken. ;)

Tom

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
man Tom, I didn't know you were crazy! :D

I wouldn't tempt fate by putting a Samsung product through such torture!

You know your story did bring to mind the followin vision:

Remember the old vibrating football games? Where the players move around on the field because it vibrating?

Well I just pictured the same thing only with a bunch of 507's. :)

Ken

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:)

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
You have to understand that with Tom living in the Mile High City, the air is very thin there. Sound waves do not propagate as they would at sea level. It takes a much larger speaker cone to provide the same volume. You should see his tweeters!!! :D

I have never seen a sub that big before. Most people go the multiple separate sub route - NOT the single most gigantic thing they can find solution!

Pete

·
Registered
856 Posts
Tom, I wouldn't worry about the magnet, but the vibration will affect the DMD. Can you imagine the little mirrors on hinges dancing all over the place and turning at the same time!

·
Registered
482 Posts
This thread right here is why this forum rocks... cause there are some dudes on here that have enough money to risk crazy $* just to help us out.

I think my other favorite is the guy on the plasma forum who bought one for his kid's xbox exclusively and is going to keep us updated on burnin issues.

WOW... AND THANKS!

Sincerely,

Dreamaster

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.