AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still can't believe it. Bought a H78 with 4 year extended warranty today. Should be arriving tomorrow - but HT room not ready for a week and no screen yet.. So will be displaying in on a wall to check it out.

Right now I have an old Panny DVD (no DVI - just component) so we will see what will happen! Will report as I have time to check it out..

I want to thank EVERYONE in this forum, without whose advice I probably would never even have heard about the H78, let alone have bought it!

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
You NEED a player like the OPPO with scalable DVI output. Otherwise you are giving up a lot of what the projector can produce.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The OPPO produces a wonderful picture over DVI at 720p with my H79. However, the lip-sync problem is making me seriously consider sending it back which is too bad considering what the OPPO offers (DVI, upscaling, 120V/240V, NTSC/PAL, region-free and excellent customer support all for about $225 shipped).

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
I use the Oppo with the H79 also. Zero lip sync problems with the HK7200, I set the Oppo's audio sync feature to 20ms.

You'll want to set the Oppo's picture settings of Contrast, brightness, color

I think mine are

Brightness 4

Contrast 1

Saturation 1

Maybe those but I'll check. They're very close to the numbers Guys posted. I needed to use these to get black bars visible with Avia's all black brightness pattern.

Edited the Oppo's numbers, brightness is at 4 to bring the Avia black bars back into view.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I still haven't seen a lip sync issue on my system. There are a few confounding factors at play. First, projector slightly delays the video during processing. The amount of delay varies with type of display, scaler and deinterlacer. Then you add the delays that the audio processor and room dimensions add to the audio signal and you soon find that not everyone's system is identical in terms of lip sync - even when playing the same DVD.

At any rate, I think you've made a great choice of projector if it is anywhere near its H79 kin in performance. That would make it a top performance/price product.

BTW, don't judge the projector too harshly with it projecting on a wall and without calibration. A real screen and calibration vastly improve the picture of an H79.

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Does the Oppo support 720p and/or 1080i over component? Or do they have any plans of supporting it in a future firmware upgrade? Even though I plan on connecting it to my H-79 via DVI, I will need to have the same upscaled output available on component for another use of mine.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel
Does the Oppo support 720p and/or 1080i over component? Or do they have any plans of supporting it in a future firmware upgrade? Even though I plan on connecting it to my H-79 via DVI, I will need to have the same upscaled output available on component for another use of mine.
No, currently it only supports upscaling over DVI and also no progressive output (at all) over component. I doubt they will do so in the future through firmware (I'd think the'd do so by now if they could).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Kuo
BTW, don't judge the projector too harshly with it projecting on a wall and without calibration. A real screen and calibration vastly improve the picture of an H79.

I've read several reviews that mention the out of box color not being the greatest on the H78DC3, but nothing calibration couldn't fix. Is the color problem something the average viewer would notice or is this more of an issue with the videophiles.

Also, with regards to the calibration, are we talking spending some time with the AVIA dvd and the projector remote, or are we talking hiring someone that has special test equipment?

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Quote:
I've read several reviews that mention the out of box color not being the greatest on the H78DC3, but nothing calibration couldn't fix. Is the color problem something the average viewer would notice or is this more of an issue with the videophiles.
It's watchable, but not accurate. After living with an InFocus 7210, which has incredible out of box calibration, it was a chore to get all of the inputs of the H-79 dialed in.

Quote:
Also, with regards to the calibration, are we talking spending some time with the AVIA dvd and the projector remote, or are we talking hiring someone that has special test equipment?
Professional calibration, though the controls to be tweaked are available using the projector's remote. The H-79 has inspired me to invest in calibration tools and to learn the trade. I plan on starting a thread detailing the experience once I have a handle on what I am doing...:)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel
It's watchable, but not accurate. After living with an InFocus 7210, which has incredible out of box calibration, it was a chore to get all of the inputs of the H-79 dialed in.

Professional calibration, though the controls to be tweaked are available using the projector's remote. The H-79 has inspired me to invest in calibration tools and to learn the trade. I plan on starting a thread detailing the experience once I have a handle on what I am doing...:)
I understand the need for calibration to adjust for room environment and signal sources. But if one manufacturer's product consistently has incredible out-of-box calibration and another's always needs an ISF calibration, doesn't that speak to quality control issues? You'd think they'd be able to fix that... if it was a priority for them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats on the H78!!

I'm in a similar boat. I just got the H77. I had alot of questions about how it was really going to be, since most of the pre-purchase research is reading.

My experience has been REALLY positive so far. So I hope yours will be too.

We are shooting it at a textured wall. Out of the box with no calibration, some ambient light, white walls and ceiling. We are just watching at night until we can get the windows handled for the daytime.

It is like the best TV we've ever had or seen. When I finally got it working so I could see a picture (setting up my PC for OTA HD and DVD), I was floored. I started yelling at my wife to come check it out. Boy was she a grump getting her to come. As soon as she saw it she was floored. Our whole family gathered together and we just watched stuff for 3 or 4 hours. Everyone in the family loves it. It is soooo amazing compared to our 27" non-HD TV. Everything we've watched has been amazingly clear and BIG. I have it zoomed to about 106" diagonal against the wall. I was expecting many more artifacts, poor picture quality, flaws in the video source. I have been very pleasantly surprised.

Just for reference, I'm not a videophile at all, just an average user who doesn't really know much about the ins and outs of TV. Neither are my wife and kids, but we all love it.

I also owe many thanks to this forum for helping figure out what to get and the many facets of getting it all hooked up.

Thanks!! =)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabillyhop
I understand the need for calibration to adjust for room environment and signal sources. But if one manufacturer's product consistently has incredible out-of-box calibration and another's always needs an ISF calibration, doesn't that speak to quality control issues? You'd think they'd be able to fix that... if it was a priority for them.
I'd think that even though optimal calibration is somewhat dpendent on the specific environment, color accuracy should be more or less consistent regardless of room. I have used the basic AVIA tools to dial in my H79 and I am very pleased with the results. Of course I have no point of reference to judge "proper" colors other than the obvious (skin tone etc) nor have I considered spending money on professional calibration since I am of the opinion that as the bulb ages what's "proper" today may be improper 200 bulb hours later.

What point of reference is being used to determine that the H79 does not have proper colors out of the box vs the IF?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
initial observations.

Ok - worst possible conditions. daytime in a room with lots of windows. Component input. no calibration other than setting Cinema/Film mode.. the picture was AWESOME. Absolutely outstanding. Showed 5th element (thought that would be a good reference). Once I get DVI input, calibration (at least via Video Essentials) and have in a 100% black room on a screen - I am drooling.

The box is incredibly quiet. I have no other experience with other projectors, but I was sitting RIGHT next to this think and all I could hear was a slight hum - and that was only because I was listening for it! My PC disk drive spinning makes more noise than this machine.

I will be doing some video essentials tommorrow at night (!) but will still be via component until my Oppo arrives.

Considering the price I paid for the PJ, ceiling mount and extended warranty is probably 1/2 of a plasma that can only give 65% of the picture size, I think this is an incredible purchase.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabillyhop
It's tuned in Taiwan with and automated system they have, but it's tuned for high contrast. Mostly every projector is tuned differently from their factorys, mostly on the high color temp side. As far as tuning to make a better grayscale you can use the how to eyeball a decent grayscale with the info I put in the first post of my the H77/H79 review thread. After you've tuned with Avia take a look at a graysteps pattern. You want the shades of gray to have no color tint to them.

The H78/H79's are at about 7000k color temp at stock. If any new owners haven't seen this start with.

Image mode

color temp 2

TV

Picture menu Cinema

gamma 1

Then tune from there.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
impressions, part II. saw in room with white walls at night. did some tweaking of parameters. Watched a widescreen color and an old 4:3 B&W. B&W was actually very impressive (still via component, mind you). Colors ok - but not quite as vibrant as I would like. Nothing to complain about, but no real 'wow' yet. Really liked the ability to enlarge the 4:3 without stretching. Found remote very easy to use. Power zoom/focus is a dream while trying to determine proper size. Can't imagine a PJ without this (though understand most don't?).

No SDE, panning problems. But picture is not bright. Have on eco mode (which is where I will probably keep it). Moving to bright lowered picture quality somehow and fan got noticeable.

Also surprised that I was happy with a larger image than I thought. Is this typical? Finalized on a 1.83 screen width to seat ratio. In a 16' long room I thing that ends up 106" diagonal.

Will experiment some more, but so far this is a winner.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, Dale.. Sure I will be. THis is truly an incredible machine for the money.. I have to admit the price tag does affect expectations. I mean, if I paid $10k for this I probably would be saying' sure it's nice. it better be for $10k", but for the street price it's going for (trying to keep in forum guidelines!) it is incredible.

Now for screen selection. I think I want something that will make the darks even better (I am beginning to understand the fascination about blacks!).. H78 have very good blacks, but being a CRT guy for 30 years, it can't be black enough for me! But I want some 'punch' to the picture without losing whites. Was originally looking at Carada BW or Classic white but just don't think that would do it....maybe when the graywolf has a permanent mounted version?

·
Registered
611 Posts
I would agree with you on the Gray-Wolf your other option would be a firehawk but of coarse that will cost you a lot more. Myself I would take the Gray-Wolf and cut it, and get some framing wood from Homedepot stretch it real tight and staple the hell out of it on the back of the frame, put it on the wall and call it a day. :)

Dale

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.