AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else read this article? They were saying the 360 add on was a POS PQ wise and that the pron industry went blu ray.. WAAA????

·
Registered
600 Posts
A total editorial disaster. Mabe they should check their facts next time.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The didn't even write a part about HD DVD. The wrote a section on Blu Ray and thats it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yeah, I saw that article, almost posted about it, almost wrote them an article telling them how stupid they are. The real problem with that article is that whoever wrote it clearly has not actually compared both formats; they cite a review from another magazine!

Here's how the conversation probably went:

"we need to write a blu-ray vs. hd-dvd article, it will be good for sales".

"ok, who can we get to do it"?

"I dunno, can I do it"?

"Do you know anything about the formats"?

"No, but I can go read what some other idiot wrote in Wired magazine and insert that into our article, then I can go ask some best buy employee to explain the differences in the formats to me and bam, done".

"ok".

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Yeah, the funniest part was how they had a list of movies that they thought were the best movies available to show off Blu Ray and HD-DVD and they listed Talladega Nights as one of them! They also listed Miami Vice for HD-DVD and I've heard that the PQ on that movie is pretty dissapointing.

The dumbest thing was in their breakdown of the 360 add on, they said that it was one of the worst HD-DVD players in terms of picture quality, while in reality it's the exact opposite, and then they didn't mention what was the biggest dissapointing thing about the add-on, which is the fact that you can't get the lossless audio.

Typcial.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can scan it if anyone wants a chuckle.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Miami Vice got bad PQ ratings? I know at least some scenes where they are blazing to Cuba in the racing boat were really great. Total sense that the water is real.

I am pretty much over the assessing PQ thing though, I really just watch the movies now and enjoy them.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Got that in the mail yesterday (I get the mag for free), and it was totally biased blu. Terrible article. As I was reading it, the first two pages were all about blu ray. I turned the page expecting a section all about HD DVD. Boy was I pissed when I saw that there wasn't one! Total fluff piece for blu ray and many factual errors. The worst part was that they said the 360 add-on looked soft, especially compared to the PS3.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'll second the opinion on how it was disappointing that they only covered Blu-Ray. I was expecting to see some HD-DVD info on the next page, but nothing.

I was thinking about them saying it was the worst HD-DVD player... correct me if I am wrong but there really is only 1 other player right (just different iterations of the Toshiba and the RCA, which is basically a Toshiba). Even if it is the worse of that group, it still looks fantastic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I haven't read the article but if it's as misleading as described here, then it would be great if a forum member could respond to the magazine. Hopefully the response would get published (or they would even issue a correction) to reverse at least some of the misinformation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.