AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't see it posted already, but apparently 1up has been bought out and EGM has been axed. Kinda disappointing considering how long that magazine was around.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
how do i go about getting my money back for my free subscriptions?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Well, it says that the parent company of the company that bought them out is Herst which publishes a lot of magazines, so maybe they will keep it alive in some form.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
I'll always be thankful for EGM. I learned the most important lesson in my life concerning reviews from them. After they gave Herzog Zwei (Genesis) scores of 3 and 4 (out of 10), I learned to judge things on my own.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Sign of the times man.. print mags are steadily dying. Just wait until everyone has a phone with superfast internet access in 10 years. You wont be able to find a magazine.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I remember about 10-12 years ago, EGM used to be thick, full of information. Nowadays they are as flimsy as victoria's secret catalogs with more ads than info.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerazn /forum/post/15481690

I remember about 10-12 years ago, EGM used to be thick, full of information. Nowadays they are as flimsy as victoria's secret catalogs with more ads than info.

Yep, I remember EGM referring to them as "phonebooks" in the early 90s. I still have lots of my back issues going back to 92... I lost my first two years(including their first issue) in a flood years back. The magazine has only been "decent" for a long time, but it's still nice to have toilet reading.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Those mid 90s issues were still nothing more than toilet or airplane fair. I had a stack of them since I was in college at the time, the reviews were always biased towards the big name stuff, and the quality was dismal. Seemed like whenever it got bigger it was just to sandwich more ads in.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue /forum/post/15481256

I'll always be thankful for EGM. I learned the most important lesson in my life concerning reviews from them. After they gave Herzog Zwei (Genesis) scores of 3 and 4 (out of 10), I learned to judge things on my own.

What? That was is one of my all time favorite games!!

If only they'd release it on the PSN and Live! I'd pay top dollar for it, even if they didn't update the graphics or slowdown, just the ability to play online against others. Soundtrack is still badass IMO

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
I paid for it in the 90s and had plenty of free subs in the 2000s, but I loved EGM. It was a good bathroom rag that generally lasted a couple weeks with me. I'm not making buying decisions on their reviews or anything, but it was good to read up on upcoming stuff and read some impressions of recent releases.

Seems the end is here but I think it'd be cool if they continued it. 1up.com has never really been a site I visit so I guess I'll just stop reading a bunch of writers I've been reading for years.

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
A shame to see any of them go that have been around for so long , I still have their first issues packed away ... bummer

- Jason

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Probably LONG overdue. Ziff should have gotten out of print some time ago. I was sad to hear there were layoffs in the podcast dept. I always liked the personalities at 1UP.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Funny... I just went over to 1UP.com to see what was up, and a pop-up for EGM @ $1 an issue came up.

Sad though
-- I've subscribed for years, at least since the early 90s, and I don't think I've missed an issue. EGM, GameFly and Netflix are about the only thing I look forward to in my analog mailbox these days. The magazine went through some low periods, but lately there's been a couple really good issues -- the last two were somewhat weak though.

·
Registered
390 Posts
When I was a kid in 1994 and there was no internet EGM was the magazine. But they never evolved to meet the internet. Obviously the news from the internet is an instantaneous thing. But I felt like they didn't even try the last year or two. The magazines were very very thin. There was very little original content. That kind of content would have saved the magazine or at least delayed its demise.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
What are these "magazines" you speak of? Are they like these "newspapers" that my grandparents speak of? That reminds me of the Simpsons when Brockman swears on the news and and nobody see it. As Comic Book Guy says: "No, I didn't see your news broadcast. I get my news off of the internet like everyone else"

j/k of course. Shame to see them go, as I do have my free subscription. I figured they were in trouble when they started giving the magazine away for free. That just seems like a bad business practice

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Times have changed, magazines no longer hold the relevance they used to. I mean, its sad to see an old-staple go, but there's a reason for it. These days if you want to look at up to the minute screenshots of some new game on the toilet, you just drag your laptop in there with you

I've got a stack of dusty magazines in my closet from around 2000 or so....PC Gamer, OXM (obviously from 2002 or 03) and some playstation magazine I subscribed too. Even back then the web was making these magazines irrelevant, I bought them almost exclusively for the pack-in CD's theyd come with. Man I must have a stack of PC GAMER demo discs from 1 to like..50....before broadband made downloading the preferred delivery method.

On the other hand, the magazines I have from the early 90's and from the early 80's (wish I'd saved more than a handfull of them) are fun to look through, if just as much for the fashion and technology as they are for the articles themselves. I've even got, somewhere archived off VHS, a review from xmas of 1990.....where a local reporter did a 10 minute piece on videogames at the same Electronics Boutique that is still at the same local mall today, only about 1/4 of its original size. The manager, I have to laugh, in the piece is like a 40 year old well dressed woman and the employees are all wearing dress shirts and ties...a far cry from today. He talks about the Nintendo, the

gameboy, the sega handheld with color screen....all very interesting, but I watch it and I dont get that "man thats a long time ago" feeling.....I get that feeling about stuff from the early 80's, but not about SNES or Genesis...still seems recent, even tho its not. :p

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
I started working at EB in 1998. I had to wear a dress shirt and tie to work. That's how I learned to tie one. Now I go into that same store and its just gross. You can't even walk around it. Sad.

Anyway, yea, EGM. Those old phonebook issues of EGM (and GameSpot, and EGM2, and Ultra GamePlayers, and so forth) may have been biased and had fanboy quality writing but it was a sign of the times! Gaming wasn't the OMGSERIOUSBUSINESS it became after PSX, and Next-Gen (the first "serious" gaming magazine, at least in the USA). During 16-bit it was still a teenager's hobby, with cheaper games to make, tons of character based platformers ("with an attitude"), endless crappy movie-based games (Wayne's World), digitized voices being a big deal, silly buzzword nonsense (blast processing, SuperFX, ACM modeling, etc.), SNES vs. Genesis. It was just a different time, goofy even, and those crappy phonebook issues were a reflection of that.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Magazines simply are running out of rhyme and reason with the widespread use of the internet. Any information you can get from a magazine is usually a month old by the time its released to the public, and if a magazine does get some kinda inside scoop before an internet news website does.. then guess what happens.

Somebody scans the magazine and puts the article on the internet.. lol

I wont say I feel sorry for the mags.. because its just change and its bound to happen. How was information shared before magazines, it was simply told from person to person. The information has always been there, you just have to know how to adapt yourself to the change of how its delivered, and roll with the times.

We live in a time and age, where more people want shyt now. And Im dont mean now, I mean RIGHT now. So you have to reinvent your news outlet to deliver that. The same will eventually happen with most audio and video, all thats needed is enough bandwidth and devices capable of accessing all that bandwidth.

I imagine 25 years from now there will be no print newpapers or magazines, cds, dvds, BR disk, or whatever. Hell your computer might not even have a harddrive. The majority of data will be stored out on the internet and accessible thru any CE device within seconds at your fingertips.

Want to watch that WWF Battle Royal PPV special from 1989 in the bathroom, while on the toilet taking a shyt?? No problem. You just have to use your finger (hopefully its clean) to click on the LCD screen in front of you and open a new window. And close the background window you were reading, you know the one that was showing the Playboy issue from 2011 with Sarah Palin, butt azz nekkid on the cover.

Or you can leave them both open, and watch the PPV on 1 half of the screen and Sarah Palins azz on the other.

·
Registered
859 Posts
EGM died when Dan Hsu left. Seriously though it is sad to see it go. I miss getting my information from magazines. I remember when I was a kid getting so excited when a new issue of Nintendo Power, EGM, or PSM would come in and I'd get my monthly news fix. God I'd read those things cover to cover 10 times a month, despite the fact that I frequented Gamespot and IGN daily. O well, rest in peace EGM

1 - 20 of 51 Posts