AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 461 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
@EAGLE-1

Seriously buy an outaded Dune 4k that does not do HDR nor has android like these new boxes, nor has real support VS egreat or other recent boxes ?!
and yes the unit has 4k menu support since may 2017...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi, I'm interested in this player but I have some questions. From what I gathered reading this forum is that egreat has some players

1) Egreat player (I'm under the impression this player is less problematic)
2) Vidon XBMC
3) Kodi (downloaded via google)

My question is that can the Egreat player support full bd menu? Thanks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just got my a10. Wow if this thing plays as good as it looks I'll be very happy. Love the brushed metal look, and all the connections in the rear looks like a very well made player.

I see I have a free port in the switch I have in my stereo cabinet and I found a 7' cat 6 network cable. I'm going to run this wired so I probably won't bother installing the antennae.
Don't have a 4k receiver so I'll plug diectly into my TCL.

Actually pretty tired from work so I'll probably wait till tomorrow or maybe Saturday to really try out the a10. I'm assuming I have to update it. Anyway I'm really pleased so far and will post my thoughts when I get it running.
Dave

·
Registered
104 Posts
@EAGLE-1

Seriously buy an outaded Dune 4k that does not do HDR nor has android like these new boxes, nor has real support VS egreat or other recent boxes ?!
and yes the unit has 4k menu support since may 2017...
SOrry about that nenito2k,you are totally right,the best option is the A10,hope can get mine very soon !! thanks

·
Registered
583 Posts
@raif71:

did you read this thread ? does not seem so ! Egreat can do Menu bluray and even menu 4k BD in vidon and in it own player since long ago !
@dbrons cool...new FW should be out in 24h or early next week also !

·
Registered
322 Posts
@raif71 :

did you read this thread ? does not seem so ! Egreat can do Menu bluray and even menu 4k BD in vidon and in it own player since long ago !

@dbrons cool...new FW should be out in 24h or early next week also !
I'm sorry nenito2k. I was really confused. I thought only the vidon player support bd menu and that the internal egreat player did not support it even though it can handle bdmv/bd-iso format. Thank you for clearing that up. I don't mind the jukebox interface. As long as the internal egreat player can support bd-menu, this is fine for me. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just got my A10 too.

Great looking device. Haven't done much testing yet, however, it seems to be a little slow in the interface.

I'll play around a bit and share my thoughts... :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
welcome too @depmesh ! was it this topic that made you get the device or did you already know about it. official Update will be out in a few hours !

·
Registered
127 Posts
@olivierqc, i see that you have the Egreat, the HiMedia, and the zidoo.

Do you think there is any difference in the image quality of these players?
Hello neo_2009,

Out of box :

This is the zidoo in a first place and after the Egreat.

But a few months ago I made a small comparison (french language) with the 2 boxes (zidoo and Egreat) plugged on my receiver, and i used some MKV/ISO movies.

Sharpness :

the Zidoo is more sharper than the egreat without touching any parameters but there is a lot of video noise, as if there was a processing of the image (sharpness).

On the Egreat no video noise and the picture is softer, this allows me to increase the sharpness of my TV.

I can not increase the sharpness of the zidoo without having video noise too visible on the TV.

Finally the 2 boxes are equivalent about the sharpness.

Color :

i use the first minutes of Deepwater when we are under water and the titanic when you see the 2 submarines descending into the dark waters.

The zidoo is much better and you have to make adjustments (color/contrast) to have an equivalent with the Egreat.

there is like color banding with the Egreat that I do not have on the zidoo, i have to make adjustments in the options of the Egreat
to have a similar image.

My comparison in french (use google translate :) )

''Samedi soir j'ai fais quelques essais / tests en passant d'un boitier a l'autre ( les 2 sont branchés sur l'ampli) et en essayant differents reglages sur les meme images de films (deepwater iso, jurassic world iso, gardiens de la galaxie mkv, titanic mkv remux).

Et maintenant je dirai que les deux ont une image comparable, de base le zidoo est meilleur, mais entre nous je pense qu'il y a un traitement de l'image faite sur le zidoo deja je peux pas monter la nettete de la tv car le bruit video est deja pas mal present de base sur le zidoo contrairement au Egreat qui en a pas du tout.

Le probleme du Egreat ( et himedia) sur ma tv a moi et avec les reglages de Nicolas de HDFever sont sur certains fond unis comme les premieres secondes de deepwater dans l'eau le degradé est moche tout comme dans Titanic quand les sous marin descendent avec le halo lumineux des projos et le degradé est la aussi pas jolie dans mon cas.

j'ai coupé completement le express engine V2, tout sur OFF sans exception.

j'ai mis display ''sport'' si je me souviens bien. (pas theater, ni standard)

j'ai ajusté le contraste (augmentation 88 a 98), la couleur (augmentation entre 57/60 au lieu de 50) et la netteté (augmentation de 50 a 60 aucun soucis de bruit video) de la TV jusqu'a m'approché de l'image du Zidoo et j'y suis arrivé apres quelques essais/reglages.

Et pour repondre a ta question :

Pour moi les 2 sont equivalente a present.

see you
Olivier

Reactions: neo_2009

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I currently have a Dune HD SOlo 4K and a nVidia Shield 2017. The Dune as I really like full menu support and the Shield for 4K HDR.

Looking at this player it seems it would do both. Would you recommend the Egreat A5 (or A10) as a one stop box to replace what I use now?

What is the difference between the A5 and A10? Just ability to add a HDD?

Thanks

·
Registered
804 Posts
Oliver, thank you very much for your response.

I've actually initially bought an egreat from Amazon UK, but then canceled my order when i found and bought the Zidoo X8, as it was way cheaper.
I only received it a few days ago, but i'm liking it very much so far.
The UI is very fast, i only use the native player and play everything through the Media explorer, and it plays everything very well.

@blenky, i've had a Popcorn VTEN, and i find the Zidoo much better:

- Much faster
- Better UI
- Subtitle download works much better
- It plays Jellyfish 250MB/HEVC/10 Bits/6.1 without a glitch, so as UHD specs a maximum bitrate of 128 Mbps, its future-proof :)

Picture quality i think VTEN has a slight edge on low res files (HDTV rips, etc), but on BR full rips i cannot see any difference in PQ.

·
Registered
127 Posts
hello neo_2009,

I have just updated my review with the new fw 1.4.6 on the forum zidoo

You can read it if you want

see you

Reactions: neo_2009

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I currently have a Dune HD SOlo 4K and a nVidia Shield 2017. The Dune as I really like full menu support and the Shield for 4K HDR.

Looking at this player it seems it would do both. Would you recommend the Egreat A5 (or A10) as a one stop box to replace what I use now?

What is the difference between the A5 and A10? Just ability to add a HDD?

Thanks
I have both the Zidoo and Egreat and they both have minor issue, but looking your already have the Dune HD Solo I will suggest to get Egreat A5/A10 which is a little much better than the Zidoo.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I have both the Zidoo and Egreat and they both have minor issue, but looking your already have the Dune HD Solo I will suggest to get Egreat A5/A10 which is a little much better than the Zidoo.
As the Egreat has full blu-ray menu support and 4K HDR I was wondering if its good enough to replace both my Dune HD Solo AND my Nvidia Shield TV?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
As the Egreat has full blu-ray menu support and 4K HDR I was wondering if its good enough to replace both my Dune HD Solo AND my Nvidia Shield TV?
There is only one issue i see with the Egreat that will be fixed in their next update , is the aspect ratio for HDR files beside that the Egreat is a great device.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I posted these initial thoughts on my A10 on the Egreat forum and I'll copy themn here :)
---------------

Well I've had the time to set up the new A10 and to try it out some. I had to buy a new gigabit switch as I was down to one port and it was an older 5 port model. Also bought a nice 10' hdmi cable from Amazon. The A10 comes with a cable but too short to reach for my set up.

So, I'm just now getting going and have not yet had the chance to try an ISO but I will say I'm very pleased with the A10. I don't think the A10 comes with batteries for the remote. That's fine with me cause I have lots but if you don't, it will require 2 AAAs. I was able to easily set up the A10 as an activity on my Harmony One remote. It has the egreat in their database.

I had a little trouble setting up the networking but when I went to Vidon, it immediately saw all my shared folders. I then went back and realized I had the incorrect IP address for my computer, fixed that and entered one of my shares and it worked and automatically set up the posters for the movies. Wow, I had lots of trouble getting a jukebox, Zappiti, to work with my Dune B1, and some difficulty setting up YAMJ on my Mede8er. This A10 is much more user friendly :) Oh, I actually did better using my Harmony remote in part because I couldn't figure out how to spell out the names of my folders using the egreat, I just got numbers rather than letters. I'm sure I'll figure that out.

The UHD I've sampled so far plays well and looks great on my TCL 55p460. So far I've just sampled an MKV of The Inferno and it looks very nice and plays great. I'll watch the movie later today. I also watched some Sony trailers I downloaded also MKV buit they stutter. I read someone mentioned that so I suspect bad files. I'll have an ISO of La La Land UHD and HDR to try hopefully later today.

So, yes, I really like this A10!
Dave

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I posted these initial thoughts on my A10 on the Egreat forum and I'll copy themn here :)
---------------

The UHD I've sampled so far plays well and looks great on my TCL 55p460. So far I've just sampled an MKV of The Inferno and it looks very nice anplays great. I'll watch rthe movie later today. I also watched some Sony trailers I downloaded also MKV buit they stutter. I read someone mentioned that so I suspect bad files. I'll have an ISO of La La Land UHD and HDR to try hopefully later today.

So, yes, I really like this A10!
Dave
Do does the Egreat play UHD structure? Interested to see how it performed with the La La Land UHD ISO.

Does it play ISO\BDMV bluray menus as well as Dune?

Ta

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a test file that's 4K+HDR and played it on the A5 today. There's a part where the sun's shown and there was a lot of grain/distortion in the sun. I went and tested the same part on the Shield, and it looked perfectly fine. I then set the Shield to 1080p and played the same file (to see what it would look like with my TV up scaling) and the grain/distortion in the sun was back again. Makes me wonder if the A5 is actually playing the 4K files and not playing them at 1080p. And yes, I did make sure all my settings on the A5 were set to 4K and it said it was displaying at 4K. Also I'm on the most recent firmware.

This box is extremely disappointing with a lot of different issues.

121 - 140 of 461 Posts