AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago, at least 10, there was a presentation in one of the magazines of a dedicated home theater in an Egyptian theme. The room had columns and statues that were Egyptian style. Does anyone remember it and, if so can you direct me to which magazine and issue it was or where to see the article online?

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Several years ago, at least 10, there was a presentation in one of the magazines of a dedicated home theater in an Egyptian theme. The room had columns and statues that were Egyptian style. Does anyone remember it and, if so can you direct me to which magazine and issue it was or where to see the article online?
Room Service Home Technologies of Beaverton, Oregon did a room similar to what you are speaking about...............is it this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I recall, the one I am thinking of was decorated with items found online, eBay possibly.

These are beautiful but not the one I was thinking of. They give me good ideas, though.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I agree, these kinds of setups look ok for a theme park or something, but I really wouldn't care for them at home.

Some ethnically thematic architecture is one thing...

You would lose a lot of money on something like this if you had to sell a house as well. Some potential buyers may simply be turned off by the design as well.

If I were to do anything like this, I would make it a lot more subtle than these examples. Perhaps a little design work on the ceilings or borders along with some columns. Do a sand/eggshell colored theme similar to my own theater perhaps. In other words, pay homage to what you love but don't go crazy... unless you are designing for Disney World.

in that last set of pictures, the screen is pretty damn small after all that effort ... prioritize object oriented 3d audio first... and then all this other stuff.

Reactions: doublewing11

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
That's the one I was thinking of...

I hear you about the screen size, but that room is going back more then a few years.
And you need to consider that's what a paying customer wanted. And I expect most
of Theo's customers have money to burn, so that isn't likely of much importance either.

Theo K's personal home theater is about as far removed from a themed room as you can get.
I personally like the "black hole" fabric walled type room. Zoned controllable lighting, and the
"Wow factor" outside the room, save for a big AT screen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts