AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
I have been working on this for about a 1 1/2 years on and off. I tried to be cost effective as well as wanted things to look good. It is a general purpose Home theater for my family. Seating is a giant "U" shaped couch so my kids can be close during family time and for playing games on XBOX 360. The Audio Rack has a pocket door on the rear that is accessed from the room behind the theater. The Drapes that are in front of the Patio door have magnetic Black Out Drapes behind them.
As of right now the equipment is a Panasonic AE-2000 Projector, Sony STR-DG920 Receiver, Helios HVD-2085, XBOX 360, Definitive Mythos 1 Front, Mythos 2 Rear Surround, Mythos 2 Rear Surround Back and Mythos 3 Center Channel, Elemental Designs A2-300 Sub. I am building my new HTPC this Friday. I am posting about this in the Official Asus PQ5-EM thread. The other purchase will be a Sony BDP-S550 as soon as it is released.

Hope you guys enjoy the Photos some are better than others it was hard with the lighting and some are blurry
( Sorry).....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djn312 /forum/post/14494977

Looks great. Love the couch.

Doug's Home Theater

Thanks, I looked at your photos. Very nice job. I love the bar!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
thats really nice. seems like the walls would be super reflective during the movie. does it seem to cause any problems washing out the screen image?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwon412 /forum/post/14495425

thats really nice. seems like the walls would be super reflective during the movie. does it seem to cause any problems washing out the screen image?

The panels actually have an almost flat finish to them, almost like stone. I have zero reflection.

I think the halogen lights are making it look shiny. I had a hard time getting the photos. If I dimmed the lights the pictures showed no detail and the walls looked flat. With the lights up the colors are a little off , but the detail is there.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamprey /forum/post/14495441

Very cool!

How did you make the hieroglyph "panels?" They have a kind of stone look to them.

I met an Artist at a trade show in January. He makes vacuum formed ABS plastic panels. That was his first time showing them. The panels were very reasonably priced. The whole room cost about $1100.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Wow...and you have been keeping this secret for a year and a half? Nice work!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Wow...very nice job!

I've been surfing theatres for years and has never seen anything like this. Well done!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I love the theme! Great work and thanks for sharing all the pics.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Simply beautiful! I love the wall treatments and that fact that all the wall panels cost you so little. The integrated projector/equipment wall is great also. Nice dual mummy statue entrance as well.

Bravo!

Curious, but does a 16:9 image completely fill the screen from top to bottom?

Victor

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Looks really nice, but considering the uniqueness of the theme, what made you go with that. Nothing wrong with it, I am just curious how you came up with an egyptian theme...I think it looks cool as hell

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor-eyd /forum/post/14497079

Simply beautiful! I love the wall treatments and that fact that all the wall panels cost you so little. The integrated projector/equipment wall is great also. Nice dual mummy statue entrance as well.

Bravo!

Curious, but does a 16:9 image completely fill the screen from top to bottom?

Victor

16:9 fits perfectly. I have some photos I will post.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits /forum/post/14497311

Looks really nice, but considering the uniqueness of the theme, what made you go with that. Nothing wrong with it, I am just curious how you came up with an egyptian theme...I think it looks cool as hell

I was in a furniture store and saw the Chests and other large Egyptian decor. Then I thought it would be different to do the Egyptian Tomb Theme. I went through many design ideas for the walls, Styrofoam, painted murals, etc.. and then happened to come across these panels as they were debuting at a trade show.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomnusss /forum/post/14497505

16:9 fits perfectly. I have some photos I will post.

This was an early test of distance and screen size. This was days before I started the theater.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Looks very nice and original

The couch looks a bit out of place though, it doesn't really fit the Egyptian theme (but I guess it's hard to find an Egyptian themed U-shaped couch :p )

·
Registered
42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomnusss /forum/post/14495612

I met an Artist at a trade show in January. He makes vacuum formed ABS plastic panels. That was his first time showing them. The panels were very reasonably priced. The whole room cost about $1100.

Holy Sh...t! That looks like a set from the "Mummy" movies.

$64M question - do the heiroglyphs actually translate to something?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts