AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....

So, I need something to work up to.

What is the most expensive current home theater technology to invest in. If I had no limits, whatsoever, on my quest for the ultimate paramount of sublime sound and celestial picture. On my journey to conquer all other enthusiasts with the best of the best.*

*Of course there is a level of subjectivity when it comes to the perception of "best".

And when I mean most expensive, I mean most expensive excluding those stupid diamond and gold gilded TV's and sound systems in which you pay more for the casing rather than the actual picture and sound.

Thank You

·
Registered
22,360 Posts
If you want the most expensive and subjectively the best, you need to put your money where your mouth is. I'm sure Cineramax would luv to take your money to design a brand new kick ass home theater that is the best of the [email protected]@@

If you can't afford the bucks to hire him or somone like him for the design stage, then this thread is merely conjecture with no fruit!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Step one: call Theo Kalomirakis and tell him the sky is the limit, and you want to have the full-environment (multiple rooms).
www.tktheaters.com

Step two: call Keith Yates and tell HIM the sky is the limit, and that you want the rooms completely isolated, and as accurate as possible
www.keithyates.com

Step three: call Brian Barr at CAT and tell HIM the sky is the limit, and let him know that Theo and Keith are already on board.
www.calaudiotech.com

Step four: call Cineramax, and tell him that the sky is the limit and that you want the most spun-out projection system ever created.
www.cineramax.com

---If all the egos involved can manage to work together nicely, you'll have arguably the best looking, performing, and sounding theater/environment on the planet. However, you'll probably need a reputable commercial contractor for the structure, and electrical and HVAC contractors that can take "odd" requirements in stride.

BTW, guaranteed the room/environment will cost well into the several-millions. This isn't BS either, these guys regularly service people with net-worths into the 9-zeros category. some FYI.

good luck

Dan

·
Registered
27,562 Posts
+1 on Dan's post.

Yep, like anything else, the sky is the limit. Limits only by your wallet and imagination.

I think if I have to redo my theater, I think I could get into the top 0.01% in sonics and video with $250K starting a room from scratch... but esthetically, it would be nicely decorated sans gold leafing nor trompe l'oiel by a private artist.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Through work I have been to a number of very wealthy Clients Estates in USA and Europe that have had huge rooms created by Theo and Keith, simply stunning better than you could ever experience on a commercial level. Running into the Millions, One Theater I recall had no less than 27 Halcro Monoblocks Tri-amping a 9 channel Cal Audio Tech System! The same Owner then put $85 million down on a 265 foot Superyacht! A good day at the office!

The next big thing is Private Imax's there is one going into a Private residence in London as I type, cost of approx £2 million. Plus I have heard of one going into a new build near Monaco. I have also heard on the grapevine that there may by one being built onboard a new 500+ foot Private Yacht due out late next year. Considering Roman Abramovich's 535ft Eclipse cost £635 million, whats £2mill to folk like that.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Definitly get a LASER projector, either the already commercialized (small unit count, though) Evans & Sutherland ESLP, or get Peter to sweet talk the Flemish into getting that prototype ready. To answer your question: "What is the most expensive current home theater technology to invest in".

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
As a non super high end guy, I'd like to point out that many of the so-called 'sky's the limit' systems that have been bragged about here and on other forums have serious flaws. If you're going to put yourself out there as having the BEST, you also open yourself up for massive criticism, esp, if you don't know what you're doing, and are just throwing cash out there.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFrancis /forum/post/20876551

Step one: call Theo Kalomirakis and tell him the sky is the limit, and you want to have the full-environment (multiple rooms).
www.tktheaters.com

Step two: call Keith Yates and tell HIM the sky is the limit, and that you want the rooms completely isolated, and as accurate as possible
www.keithyates.com

Step three: call Brian Barr at CAT and tell HIM the sky is the limit, and let him know that Theo and Keith are already on board.
www.calaudiotech.com

Step four: call Cineramax, and tell him that the sky is the limit and that you want the most spun-out projection system ever created.
www.cineramax.com

---If all the egos involved can manage to work together nicely, you'll have arguably the best looking, performing, and sounding theater/environment on the planet. However, you'll probably need a reputable commercial contractor for the structure, and electrical and HVAC contractors that can take "odd" requirements in stride.

BTW, guaranteed the room/environment will cost well into the several-millions. This isn't BS either, these guys regularly service people with net-worths into the 9-zeros category. some FYI.

good luck

Dan

Step Five: Call Lürssen to make it mobile.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveFunCause /forum/post/20876246

Would projection be the best bet for best picture technology?

Btw, would this be considered the best of the best - http://www.i-kwart.eu/index.php/show...e-theater.html

That isn't a theater. That is a list of equipment. HUGE difference.

You need to start with the room and that must be designed from the ground up for the theater. There is no way anybody is going to retrofit a room and compete at the level of "shooting for best in the world" unless they are willing to demolish most of the existing room and were also lucky enough that the room was just the right size, shape and orientation to begin with.

There is no "best" system out there in the same way that there is no best woman or best wine. They each have their strengths and individual character that may not be everybody's choice. There are compromises to be made, even in money is no object installations because competing factors at play with regard to acoustics for theatrical sound vs musical sound, decor for improving the screen contrast and picture quality vs not looking like a stealth cave, etc.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk /forum/post/20877405

Definitly get a LASER projector, either the already commercialized (small unit count, though) Evans & Sutherland ESLP, or get Peter to sweet talk the Flemish into getting that prototype ready. To answer your question: "What is the most expensive current home theater technology to invest in".

Because you like speckle???

Laser direct projection for high end viewing has serious issues still.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.