Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure there must be others confused about this:

I have a new Pana EH50. Trying to get the EPG to work. I have followed all the directions. My STB is feeding input 3 and I have left the unit off for 24 hours. Clock still says 12:00 and no EPG has downloaded. I live in the denver area and have Comcast digital cable.

When I first set the eh50 up and turn it off to start it's download, it seems to scan through the channels very slowly on my STB. But 24 hours later, the eh50 just acts as if I did nothing to set it up. Is it looking for the guide stream or is it trying to download each individual channel's information? How do I know if it is finding anything? How do I know if Comcast is SENDING anything? This shouldn't be rocket science. I would ASSume that this data stram is being sent in the vertical interval of one or more channels but how do I know which one? Can I set the eh50 to just listen to one particular channel?

I would really like to see this work, although there are ways around it. If anyone in the Denver area has had good luch with this, please reply. Could this be a matter of trying a different zip code? What does the eh50 do with the zip code information since this is a one-way download anyway? If this was like a Tivo, it would make sense that the zip code would allow the Tivo box to get the listings for your specific area. But in this case, the eh50 just downloads what is being fed to it.

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Thanks VERY MUCH!!

Bill

·
Registered
529 Posts
Unclear if you have connected the coax cable or not from your post. I believe you need to split the coax prior to entering your cable box and connect the coax to the RF input of the EH50. I don't think it can download guide data over the line input connections.

With this setup you would also be able to record a non scrambled station while watching a scrambled or non-scrambled station via your cable box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to the manual, if you have a STB, you can run the a/v lines to INPUT 3 on the back of the eh50 and this will download all channels...digital included. Splitting the RF is always an option, but I was hoping to make it work with ALL of my channels. Has anyone been able to make it work through the A/V lines?

Thanks!!

Bill

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
It has been reported here that many cable boxes do not pass the guide data, but filter it out in some way, so the recorder cannot process the data properly. The manual is not always accurate, nor can it anticipate the behavior of all intermediate equipment. I recommend you try the RF splitter. That will at least tell you if the guide data is available on your cable system (it most likely is).

To answer your second question: YES, some people have gotten the recorder to work through the AV lines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.