Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

New owner of the Panasonic EH50 after being a happy E80 user for about 2 years. I currenty have Dish Network with a lifeline cable subscription for local news. I have NBC/ABC/CBS/FOX out of New york and LA on Satellite so I decided to disable the TV Guide by doing an autoscan for the channels on cable and using manual timer recording, just as I was used to with my E80.

Well all was well until today. I set a timer to record from L1 where my satellite box is connected at 9:00PM to record WWE Raw so I could watch it on a "chasing" playback when I got home from work at 10. Well I got home and discovered I was in fact recording my local PBS channel instead! Was was really strange is that the recorder showed it was recording L1 and even displayed L1 in the direct navigator. The dish receiver was on the right channel...(even if it wasn't, locals arent availible on Satellite in my area so it couldn't have come from there). Anyone have any idea what happened? I wonder if I would be better off activating TV Guide and just ignoring it??

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What, am I not popular enough around here to get any help??

Im guessing the recorder was tuned to the local PBS station looking for TV guide info (even though I disabled it) when the timer kicked in. I since activated TV guide and the problem hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I don't think its a matter of popularity. The problem you describe is just bizzare. I have no idea how the recorder could say it was recording from L1 yet was recording a tuner channel. It just doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I think your DVD recorder was just revolted by the fact that you wanted to record WWE Raw :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I have no idea why it did this bizarre thing.

SMK

·
Registered
948 Posts
While I don't have cable/sat or a recorder with EPG I've read a lot of threads on problems with EPG. Could it be a mapping issue? What was the TV displaying? Trying setting up some more programs that way and see what happens.

Roy- Good one.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I agree with vferrari, it isn't a matter of popularity, so don't feel shunned. I read your OP and I was just, well, speechless, so I didn't reply. I assume everyone else was too. I also Agree with Jay, it SOUNDS like a mapping issue, but how the recorder could map an RF signal to L1 is beyond me.

I worry that this might be one of those unrepeatable glitches that no one will ever figure out, because it was the result of split-second timing where the recording started using L1, but before it was locked in, the guide decided to change the channel looking for updates. Put it this way, the timer stated its intent to record using L1, initiated the process, changed the input to L1, put L1 in the display, started to spin up the system, THEN the guide decided to look for updates (which it shouldn't do if the machine is ON, but sometimes the thing can be recording without it seeming to be on) and changed the channel, and then the machine started recording and locked the current configuration down until the timer completed.

Just a wild guess. If it EVER happens again, let us know.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok that sounds about right, what Church AV Guy said, thank you. The only thing that doesn't make sense about that is that I programmed the channels using the instructions on page 57 of the manual, which is suppose to disable TV guide entirely. I have since set up TV guide, but will program the timer manualy since I have satellite. Since then the problem has not repeated.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Um, that was just a wild guess, so don't take it as anything more substantial than that. Exactly what your machine did is very strange, and I hope it never does it again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Like Nova828 I'm also having problems with my EH50 recording the wrong channel. But I'm going through cable not the dish. I use the manual recording function but instead of channel 2 (I also had trouble with channel 5) I get channe 3 which is a PBS channel. I wonder why they always seem to point to a PBS channel. Any one have any thoughts on how I should approach Panasonic about this?

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your original guess was correct Nova, the recorder picked up your local PBS channel when it was turned off and searching for the TV Guide info.

I recommend resetting the unit with ch up/down on the front of the unit, and saying no to cable service in the TV Guide setup screen. Then go and switch the ant system to cable tv and scan the channels again. That procedure should completely disable the TV Guide functionality.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBB
...EH50 recording the wrong channel. But I'm going through cable not the dish. I use the manual recording function but instead of channel 2 (I also had trouble with channel 5) I get channe 3 which is a PBS channel. I wonder why they always seem to point to a PBS channel. Any one have any thoughts on how I should approach Panasonic about this?...
I had a similar problem with an EH60. See post 8 here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post6726841

and post 10 in that thread for info on what seemed to resolve the problem.

I contacted Panasonic at the time, but they said they have not run into this problem before. Meanwhile, a number of EH50 and EH60 owners have reported this problem in this forum.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I read on another board that if you input the channel as 002 instead of 2 that would work. I adjusted last nights programs to 002 and both worked fine, no pbs.

Hopefully this solves it for good.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBB
I read on another board that if you input the channel as 002 instead of 2 that would work. I adjusted last nights programs to 002 and both worked fine, no pbs.

Hopefully this solves it for good.

Yep, EH50 manual, page 20, step 3 ;)

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
How about this for a possibly related problem: On my EH50, I have a timer-recording set to record from IN3 -- but when it goes into record, it records CHANNEL 3 instead.

The only solution I have found for this is to leave the recorder on, with the input already set to IN3 -- then it works fine. But if the recorder is off, I get Channel 3 instead, 100% of the time.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I am constantly amazed by what these things are supposed to not be able to do, but still somehow manage to do. I envision some haggard programmers at Panasonic wondering how some of these things are possible, and telling their bosses that the machine simply cannot be doing what is being reported.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor
How about this for a possibly related problem: On my EH50, I have a timer-recording set to record from IN3 -- but when it goes into record, it records CHANNEL 3 instead.

The only solution I have found for this is to leave the recorder on, with the input already set to IN3 -- then it works fine. But if the recorder is off, I get Channel 3 instead, 100% of the time.

Something else to test for one of these days.

Have you tried the website firmware update for that one ?

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless33
Have you tried the website firmware update for that one ?
No I haven't -- I wasn't even aware there was a firmware update available. If you have a link for that, can you pass it my way? Otherwise, I'll go hunting for it ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.