AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I returned the open box EH75 to CC when I was able to get a EH55 from J&R. The EH55 is much quieter - fan noise is inaudible, unlike the EH75. However, the HDD is noisier during fast forward when in the higher speed modes, and also when doing edits, etc. It makes that ticking/scratching nosie that hard drives do when working hard. I don't recall hearing it with my old E80H, which I know has the HDD encased in a metal box inside the unit. Maybe the EH55 does not have it boxed that way, or maybe it is just a noisier drive. My main concern is that the HDD is not defective. So my question to EH55 owners is - does your HDD make that much fuss during fast forwards also? Thanks.

Overall I am loving the EH55 with a few nits that were not a problem on the E80H. First is the non-defeatible audio during 2x FF - what were they thinking? Second is the lack of frame advance during pause - I liked that feature a lot on the E80H.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have two EH55s and neither makes the noises you describe. The only things I hear are when the unit turns off - it makes sort of a ping or clunk noise which my older Pannys didn't make.

But during recording the unit is quiet, except when the fan comes on periodically.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Was yours one of the open box units? Maybe the HD was for some reason fragmented (maybe someone had it, recorded a ton, deleted it all, but left the HD kinda weird with all the old data) before you got it... maybe try formatting it just to see what happens?

I do notice my Toshiba HDs get noisier when I'm doing Timeslip/Chase Play off the HDD and fast forwarding through commercials and the like, but it sounds like you're just watching stuff normally...

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was an open box and I did format the HDD. It only makes that noise when it is in extra FF, about 10X or higher, and the faster you go the louder it gets; the rest of the time it is very quiet. Oh well, it has full warranty plus a second year on my Visa card. I may check with Panasonic CS and see if they recommend anything.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The main feature I miss from the E80H is the "dub" feature whereby you could automatically dub any copied title you were watching by hitting a single button. Strange that they did away with that. Granted I have not read the manual, so there may be something I am missing. Any of you know if the E55H will "dub" during play?

·
Registered
929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/0

Any of you know if the E55H will "dub" during play?

Not sure I fully understand the question. If doing a realtime recording, you can watch what is being recorded, or you can watch this program starting at the beginning, or can play a title previously recorded. You can also change the drive and play while recording. (page 27)

You can record and play while high-speed copying (without finalizing), page 51.

Sorry, just reread the question, my answer above applies to the EH55. Your earlier post referred to the EH55, but I'm not familiar with the E55H.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Dub" on the E80H works like this: A previously recorded title can be played and during play you can decide you want to copy it to a DVD-R or DVD-RAM (assuming you have a blank disc in the tray). By hitting the "dub" button play is interrupted and the copy process begins in fast copy mode. Once the copy is finished the player stops but you hit the "play" button and the title in play picks up right where you left off. Avoids having to stop and go in to the main function menu to setup a playlist, etc. Very convenient, and since I copy a lot of music videos that are just a few minutes long I miss it.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, am I the only one that hears the noise of the HDD working (clicking the armature) with the EH55 during very fast search?

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:

I returned the open box EH75 to CC when I was able to get a EH55 from J&R. The EH55 is much quieter - fan noise is inaudible, unlike the EH75. However, the HDD is noisier during fast forward when in the higher speed modes, and also when doing edits, etc. It makes that ticking/scratching nosie that hard drives do when working hard. I don't recall hearing it with my old E80H, which I know has the HDD encased in a metal box inside the unit. Maybe the EH55 does not have it boxed that way, or maybe it is just a noisier drive. My main concern is that the HDD is not defective. So my question to EH55 owners is - does your HDD make that much fuss during fast forwards also? Thanks.

Overall I am loving the EH55 with a few nits that were not a problem on the E80H. First is the non-defeatible audio during 2x FF - what were they thinking? Second is the lack of frame advance during pause - I liked that feature a lot on the E80H.

I have two -EH75V units and have never had any issues with fan noise.

You probably had a defective unit.

The trials and tribulations of "open box" units and demo units......it's pot luck!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 /forum/post/0

The trials and tribulations of "open box" units and demo units......it's pot luck!

Please provide the facts to support this opinion. Just the facts please.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
The little man behind the curtain speaks again. For the movie buffs this is from "The Wizard of Oz"

Where are those hot air balloons when you need them.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 /forum/post/0

I ALSO HAVE THIS UNIT the eh75s has a variable speed fan it speeds up and down when needed.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I called Panasonic tech support and they said the noise is normal (as I figured) and I know hard drives do make that noise, I just had not heard it so loudly before with my E80H and the EH75 (which has a noisy fan). The E80H has the HDD in a metal case that probably reduces noise, and perhaps the EH55 does not use that case (anyone know?). OTOH a 200 GB HDD probably can expected to be noisier than a 80 GB(?).

Anyway, overall the EH55 is otherwise much quieter than either of the previous models and functions flawlessly so I can live with that very minor irritant. BTW, Panasonic has a 2 year EW (3 years total warranty) for $69, which is not bad and I might consider that - it can be purchased anytime during the original 1 year warranty. However I bought it with my Visa card so that gives me one extra year, and I can probably replace the HDD myself as I did with the E80H so it is kind of a wash. Anybody know what HDD model the EH55 uses?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

Quote:

I called Panasonic tech support and they said the noise is normal (as I figured) and I know hard drives do make that noise, I just had not heard it so loudly before with my E80H and the EH75 (which has a noisy fan). The E80H has the HDD in a metal case that probably reduces noise, and perhaps the EH55 does not use that case (anyone know?). OTOH a 200 GB HDD probably can expected to be noisier than a 80 GB(?).

Anyway, overall the EH55 is otherwise much quieter than either of the previous models and functions flawlessly so I can live with that very minor irritant. BTW, Panasonic has a 2 year EW (3 years total warranty) for $69, which is not bad and I might consider that - it can be purchased anytime during the original 1 year warranty. However I bought it with my Visa card so that gives me one extra year, and I can probably replace the HDD myself as I did with the E80H so it is kind of a wash. Anybody know what HDD model the EH55 uses?

THE DMR-EH55 USES WD 200GB HDD DRIVES BUT YOU CANNOT JUST CHANGE HDD WITH NEW ONE WITHOUT FIRST REFORMATTING WITH SPECIAL SOFTWARE , WHICH I HAVE PERSONNALY DONE WITH MY EH55S MACHINE........

·
Registered
929 Posts
When one doesn't have the facts (posts #11 and 12), one resorts to shouting and name-calling. Such tactics tend to lessen one's credibility.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct /forum/post/0

THE DMR-EH55 USES WD 200GB HDD DRIVES BUT YOU CANNOT JUST CHANGE HDD WITH NEW ONE WITHOUT FIRST REFORMATTING WITH SPECIAL SOFTWARE , WHICH I HAVE PERSONNALY DONE WITH MY EH55S MACHINE........

Hmmm.... I have had less than great experiences with WD hard drives in the past, so that does not bode well. Thanks for the info on formatting the replacement HDD, so how do you do that - with your PC before you install it in the EH55? Would you elaborate please? Also, any reason why a replacement could not be another brand, such as Seagate? BTW, the E80H reformatted the replacement HDD upon installation, so why would the EH55 not do the same?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts