AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panny DMR-EH80 that I'm about to bring to an (approved) dump. The machine has long been out of service (the video section no longer works, but the audio sounds okay) and I understand from many postings here that Panny will no longer repair for that $130 but may replace with one of the current non-HD DVDRs.

My working machines are an EH55 that I purchased in Canada abouyt three years ago and an EH75V which I purchased used on CL about a year ago, both work well today, except for the graying out of the EH75V's option to manually set the clock (I called Panny tech support and walked through the problem on the phone. The Panny guy said that whoever originally set the machine up for the TVGuide option irrevocably took away the option of setting the clock manually and that minor problem (I just have to remember the "right" time during Summer's daylight time period) could not be resolved.

I'm thinking now of when both these machines fail. They'll likely be unrepairable by Panny (parts will no longer be made or stored in their facilites), and only replaceable by a (to me) useless DVDR without a hard drive.

I'm tempted to purchase one of the EH59s or EH69s available through, say, B&H, and just store it away as the (perhaps) final backup.

I seem to remember that at some future point (perhaps soon) the cable companies (perhaps mandated by the Federal Government, directly or indirectly) will no provide boxes that convert the incoming digital signal to analog for the purpose of driving outputs like the Panny DVDR or VHS machines (if there any being made). If that conversion process went away it seems an EH59 or EH69 would no longer function for recording off the air (through the STB). I use the fairly crude, basic method for recording (mostly) movies broadcast in SD and an occasional news program for time-shifting by setting the channel on the STB to the desired number and setting my 55 or 75 to record at the correct time, or, if there's a conflict between what I want to watch currently and a program I want to record, I set the STB's own DVR to record the program I want to keep while I'm viewing the current program on my display, then I later simpy dub from the STB/DVR to my Panny.

So, finally, my questions: 1) Is the change scheduled for STBs to fully digital, i.e., they'll no longer have digital/analog conversdion capabilites, hence the EH59/69 will become non-functional, maybe even before I have a need for it?, and 2) are the future equivalents of the 59 and 69, if there are any, likely to be designed to record unconverted digital broadcasts from a STB (I realize this is a wholly conjectural question, but I'd appreciate some plausible guesses here)?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much over lack of analog in the future since, even now, there are affordable devices for converting HDMI and Component to Composite or S-Video. I guess now would be the best time to store one with the new unit before *someone* notices?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I too have a "spare" EH-59 in storage as a "futureproof" backup. I also have a bunch of CECBs (remember when those were plentiful and relatively cheap?) in storage so I can feed the '59 and my other DVDRs with OTA signals. Except it's so easy to record OTA with the Philips 3575 and one fo the Magnavoxes, I almost never use my current Panny HDD model for that....

But why dump you E80? You may actually be able to get a little money somebody for a it on eBay.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
I agree with Wajo and I really find it hard that at least some STBs won't have a analog output. After all what about all the people with old CRT TVs that lack HDMI or even composite inputs? Most of us around here have converted to HDTVs but I'd guess the majority of cable users have at least one analog only TV and I can't believe cable companies will totally turn them away.

I've also got a HDMI to S-video converter stashed away and I'm always looking out for a good quality Component to S-video converter for a good price(

·
Registered
891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/20834860

I've also got a HDMI to S-video converter stashed away and I'm always looking out for a good quality Component to S-video converter for a good price(s-video converters is going up! The Atlona converter which i bought for $207.00 'new'(AT Comp-500) is now selling for $299.00 from all sellers,none are cheaper.I went to Atlona's website and they have also raised their price from 279.00 to $299.00.The Audio Authority 1360 converter,the same model as kjbawc has is now selling for $314.00 wherever i looked.I don't know what's behind the price rise,but it sure seems to be happening.Maybe people grabbing them while they can????

PS:I apologize to the OP.I don't mean to hijack this thread. G.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 /forum/post/20834798

But why dump you E80? You may actually be able to get a little money somebody for a it on eBay.

Yea, don't dump it. I have recently seen non-working E80's go for over $100 on eBay. People are always looking for part units now, to keep their recorders operative.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All,

Thanks for the sound advice, above. I have a related question: there are often many posts on the forum re component to s-video converters. Do the posters not have s-video outputs on their STB? I use my STB's component out to drive my Panny plasma. My STB then provides an s-video output to drive my Panny EH55. Since the component conversion to s-video is somewhat of a quality downgrade is that choice made because the other Panny DVDRs (like my EH55) have no component inputs? My EH55 has component video outputs but the best quality recordings are made with the s-video inputs, so the EH55 s-video connection to the plasma display is, of course, a much better compromise than using the composite connections. I do not believe that a recording made on my EH55 at s-video quality can be upscaled to the plasma by outputting over the component connects.

BTW, Instead of using the STB's HDMI out to connect to the plasma (where some timing issues can occur), I use its component output to the display. My BD player I output by HDMI to the display.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Many STBs probably don't have S-video output but I think the biggest reason for a component-to-S-video converter is because the STB(or DVR) won't output anamorphic wide screen over SD(S-video/composite) outputs. In this case to get anamorphic DVDs you need such a converter.

Yes if only our DVDRs had a component INPUT such converters wouldn't be needed.

·
Registered
13,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mohundro /forum/post/20838795

there are often many posts on the forum re component to s-video converters. Do the posters not have s-video outputs on their STB?

The primary reason for the interest in converters is not a lack of STB outputs. The problem is that most cable STB's do not output a widescreen image from the composite or S-Video outputs. They assume you will be connecting a composite or S-video STB output to an older 4:3 format analog display (i.e. CRT) so the cable STB outputs a letterboxed frame that renders the widescreen image in a 4:3 frame with black bars above and below. This is meant to give you the full widescreen image on an older 4:3 display. A DVDR records exactly what it is sent, so it records the letterbox frame with the black bars above and below -- the black bars are hard-coded into the recorded frame. This is fine if you are playing it back on a 4:3 display, but if you play it on a 16:9 widescreen display the frame will display as a "postage stamp" with black bars to the left and right as well as above and below. Proportional zoom can fill the screen but the PQ will look pretty poor since you have wasted many valuable pixels of the frame to record the black bars.

A STB will output a true widescreen frame from component (and HDMI) outputs and give you a proper widescreen recording that will render properly on a 16:9 display. All the 720x480 pixels of the frame are used to record video information and not black bars. But, DVDR's do not have component (or HDMI) inputs and so that is the reason for the interest in component or HDMI --> S-Video converters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.