Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

If you follow from my last thread I am considering doing a double stack of e-home 9500LCs. Is it true that the 8500 can be made a 9500LC by just adding the right 9inch LC tubes? Are the dementions of the case/insides all the same? If I went this route I would need to still buy a matching vidikron vision one case from Hi Rez or to matching laqure covers (I love the look!!).

thanks,

Jim

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
the 8500LC you can drop 9 inch tubes in easily, but not the 8500. The mounting hardware is all different. IF you had all the mounting hardware from an 8500LC or 9500LC you could put that in an 8500 and put in 9 inch tubes, but that hardware is harder to come by than just an 8500LC or 9500LC.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
OK, It is not that simple, But Yes it can be done.

You really need

3x Tubes with LC assemblies

3x Lenses, HD10 or GT17's (there are many types), the HD8's cannot be used.

3x Neck Boards, as I belive that the 8500 neck boards need to be adjusted and tested for the protection circuit (Please- correct me if I am wrong)

Mounts for the Tubes, which is the Top and Bottom plates, these are different from the 8500.

Everything else can be used, with no issues.

Case size is the same for the 8000 to the 9500 Marquee's, just small changes like tube mounts, Colors and some Cover changes.

I think that pretty much covers it.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK-Steve
OK, It is not that simple, But Yes it can be done.

You really need

3x Tubes with LC assemblies

3x Lenses, HD10 or GT17's (there are many types), the HD8's cannot be used.

3x Neck Boards, as I belive that the 8500 neck boards need to be adjusted and tested for the protection circuit (Please- correct me if I am wrong)

Mounts for the Tubes, which is the Top and Bottom plates, these are different from the 8500.

Everything else can be used, with no issues.

Case size is the same for the 8000 to the 9500 Marquee's, just small changes like tube mounts, Colors and some Cover changes.

I think that pretty much covers it.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Steve
You can get away even using the same neck boards. They are the same, they are just adjusted for a higher beam current. However, if you don't look to overdrive the tubes, you probably would never know the difference.

Fabricating the the plates is a little more of a problem......unless you have access to a machine shop. you can make them out of aircraft aluminum, so they won't become magnetized. Now, all you need are the LC assemblies, plastic enclosures, tubes and lenses. Now you're all set to go. ;)

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Been there, done that. The upper and lower mounting plates cost about 200 bucks from VDC.

Getting the 9" LC assemblies is the tough part. If you get them, the rest is not difficult.

I got very, very lucky and landed a set with worn and spot burned tubes in them. And then

I got even luckier later and landed a brand new set of tubes that I swapped into them.

As a result, I'm just waiting to get some help over to drop my 8000 and hang my 9500LC

with brand new tubes in its place.

CJ

CJ

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohnson
Been there, done that. The upper and lower mounting plates cost about 200 bucks from VDC.

Getting the 9" LC assemblies is the tough part. If you get them, the rest is not difficult.

I got very, very lucky and landed a set with worn and spot burned tubes in them. And then

I got even luckier later and landed a brand new set of tubes that I swapped into them.

As a result, I'm just waiting to get some help over to drop my 8000 and hang my 9500LC

with brand new tubes in its place.

CJ

CJ
Why did you BUY them? They're so easy to make, AND BETTER than the originals. ;) At least with the LC assemblies, it's something that would be more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Quote "Why did you BUY them? They're so easy to make, AND BETTER than the originals. "

Hey, mind telling me what you are talking about? My guess is you asking why he bought the upper and lower mounting plates. If you're saying it's easy to make the LC hardware then I would like to know more about that clearly. Actually, what are you saying? What's easy to make?

(If you don't mind.)

-Brian

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
The plates are easy enough, but not everybody has ANY metalworking skills or tools, Bruce.

The LC hardware would require the services of a well-equipped machine shop

and skilled machinists to do it.

CJ

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton
Quote "Why did you BUY them? They're so easy to make, AND BETTER than the originals. "

Hey, mind telling me what you are talking about? My guess is you asking why he bought the upper and lower mounting plates. If you're saying it's easy to make the LC hardware then I would like to know more about that clearly. Actually, what are you saying? What's easy to make?

(If you don't mind.)

-Brian
Sorry Brian, yes, it's the plates I'm referring to. I thought it was clear since that was what he said he had to buy from VDC.

Chris,

The plates require practically no skill. If you have a pattern, you can probably just buy a couple of Aluminum plates from a machine shop cut to the right size. Beyond that, it's just drilling and tapping some holes. ;)

Bruce

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
What's the center to center distance of the pivot pin locations on the 9" plates?

Where are those holes located and what size are they? Got the dowel pins?

What's the spacing requirement and relative location of the circular arc slots that allow

the LC assemblies to be aimed?

Got a way to make those arcs?

For many people, it won't be that easy, Bruce. You can do it, and I can, but the average

user might not want to tackle it when VDC sells the plates for a semi-reasonable price.

CJ

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohnson
What's the center to center distance of the pivot pin locations on the 9" plates?

Where are those holes located and what size are they? Got the dowel pins?

What's the spacing requirement and relative location of the circular arc slots that allow

the LC assemblies to be aimed?

Got a way to make those arcs?

For many people, it won't be that easy, Bruce. You can do it, and I can, but the average

user might not want to tackle it when VDC sells the plates for a semi-reasonable price.

CJ

If you use a pattern, you don't have to do ANY of those things. But hey, if you can't.....then you pay. :D

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
You don't need a skilled machinist - you just need a CNC mill :)

I program a 3 axis CNC mill at work, and my boss encourages "foreigners" so I don't lose my programming skills.

Now.....I just need an 8500LC and some tubes......

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W
You don't need a skilled machinist - you just need a CNC mill :)

I program a 3 axis CNC mill at work, and my boss encourages "foreigners" so I don't lose my programming skills.

Now.....I just need an 8500LC and some tubes......
Mark, there's nothing to mill, it's standard stock thinkness. :)

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
If I understand correctly you still have to put holes in and cut an arcing slot.

A CNC mill is a fantastic drill press :)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
What difference does it make to use the 8500LC if you have to obtain 9" LC assemblies anyway's? Very curious??

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Quote"What difference does it make to use the 8500LC if you have to obtain 9" LC assemblies anyway's? Very curious??"

I think the LC assemblies from the 8500LC can be swapped onto the 9" tubes. The 8500LC is identical to the 9500LC except for the tubes themselves. (A read of the service manual suggests this although they suggest the magnetics are also different.)

-Brian

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
"...then the plates are different."

so there is no need for new plates if you have a 8500LC? (the plates that you purchased)

"I think the LC assemblies from the 8500LC can be swapped onto the 9" tubes."

This would make much more sense if this were the case. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 316
"...then the plates are different."

so there is no need for new plates if you have a 8500LC? (the plates that you purchased)

"I think the LC assemblies from the 8500LC can be swapped onto the 9" tubes."

This would make much more sense if this were the case. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks!!
Right, there is NO NEED for new plates if you have an 8500LC. However, on the one 8500LC I did, the rear part of the LC assembly that holds the 9" tube was different, yet, I believe someone claimed they were the same.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys
Hi All,

If you follow from my last thread I am considering doing a double stack of e-home 9500LCs. Is it true that the 8500 can be made a 9500LC by just adding the right 9inch LC tubes? Are the dementions of the case/insides all the same? If I went this route I would need to still buy a matching vidikron vision one case from Hi Rez or to matching laqure covers (I love the look!!).

thanks,

Jim
It's worth noting that it's not THAT much easier to find a crappy 8500LC over the 9500LC.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.