AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
When run Audyssey the crossover was set to 60Hz,sometimes at 80,don’t know why it varies.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
By increasing the length I mean increasing the length to fill the room width.

By placement I mean moving the SBA further into the room and use the newly developed front wall relections for smoothing out those nulls if needed.
sorry,don’t understand what “newly developed front wall relections” means,can you please explain!
Thank you

·
Registered
146 Posts
Calculated the sealed box volume for the LaVoce and the result is about 2,3cft net volume at Qtc=0.7,on the volume of my boxes the Qtc is around 0.5.Is this so bad,are the enclosures too large for this driver?
The enclosures you have giving you Qtc=0.5 will work fine. Those are selaed EQd subs.
The only difference would be less power needed below 40Hz and 1-2 dB less at 80Hz.

Just a suggestion - the box is more than enough for x2 LaVoce drivers at Qtc=0.7. You can also mount them opposed for vibration cancellation if the box allows.
You can add them now or later if you wish.
That will give you extra +6dB on top of everything else.

·
Registered
146 Posts
sorry,don’t understand what “newly developed front wall relections” means,can you please explain!
Thank you
At that point I was assuming that you had 1-dimentional SBA - a horizontal row of 8 subs placed at the front on the floor.
Their ceiling first reflection would cause cancellations (null) at the listening position.
If you have the subs moved into the room 1/4 distance of the extra path the ceiling reflection travels then the newly developed front wall reflections would fit timewise right between the direct sound and the ceiling relection sound and smoothen out the null.

·
Registered
Yamaha RXa2060 - HTM12 / Pa460 3way LCR - Volt10s atmos - HT8s rears - (4) Dual JBL Devs - (2) F20s
546 Posts
With all that room in your back wall and two extra drivers coming have you not considered a DBA just by putting the two new ones on the back wall? I would guess that would solve most of your issues (just a guess) and be a lot less work.
It also look like MKs graph puts the UMs 6db higher at 20hz?? That’s a big difference from what Will typed up.?.

·
Registered
11,622 Posts
Most clubs have a bunch of JBL or QSC or Peavey or other such 18's, in ported or horned configuration to blast the room with excessive mid-bass (40-300hz).
The OP needs crunk in his system! 😛

"Yes" it is possible to completely cripple the UM-18's and the LaVoce woofers with EQ, eliminating all of their natural benefits. i.e. making them equal/same. But that's not what the OP will do / is after. He will be letting the LaVoce's crunk juice at maximum normal efficiency / natural response shape; and we have warned him of the SPL and ULF he will lose if he removes the UM-18's from the room (I'm sure he has box modeled both at this point and knows what is gained vs lost, if anything.)

Since he has all of that time and money tied up in the UM-18's, he might as well keep them in the room if he has the space and just add another 8 Pro woofers and a single FP20k to power them at quad 4-ohm (with supporting external miniDSP for that.)
His system would likely sound better if he does (and even if it doesn't, then at that point the UM-18's can be sold off.)
Sounds like a 1st world problem!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I’m looking more for the midbass chest punch, (kick,slam) I guess;don’t know exactly what frequency that is,60-200,I guess, looking to hear a kick drum like the drum solo on Toad,Cream- Live at the Albert Hall bluray,so lively as possible...
The Pro drivers setup will give you +12dB more in the 60Hz and up than the UM-18 setup.
The UM-18 setup will give you +2dB more in the 30Hz and below than the Pro drivers setup.

+12dB at 60Hz and up is a lot of extra midbass. "Snappy kick"

·
Registered
19,529 Posts
I believe your EQ is making them sound Meh. The placement you currently have is not ideal in your room. It does matter the theories and such, your response is your response. I would move around the top subs and fill the two bottom spaces. Take a sweep of your response. Now add the 6th sub in different places and use the one spot that creates the smoothest response without EQ. You are EQing to death to make flat and you should not have too with 6 subs and proper placement. My subs were +/- 2.5 dB from 20-120hz without EQ. Careful placement is everything. Why would compare 6 UMs with 8 lavoce when you could add two more UM as well. I showed you 8 vs 8 and the UM is cheaper. You get 2 dB more from 60-80hz but lose much more below. Your call.

·
Registered
19,529 Posts
Oh yeah, if your goal was midbass and gobs of it, you should have built two devastators with the 21 inch lavoce drivers. That should get you 150 dB of midbass.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
UM18 does just fine for midbass when setup properly. I love the pro-drivers and think the huge motor strength has a (deserved) place but you aren't using a pro-driver without a ton of EQ.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
It does matter the theories and such, your response is your response.
Give me some time for finishing the SBA, if that didn’t work then I take your advice to move the subs to find the best response;I understand that a good FR from the subs and the integration with the mains are the most important thing, but I took this path and must finish this to see if it’s a success or not.
Thank you.

81 - 100 of 150 Posts