AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thanks to all that offered input and suggestions about my Atmos build questions in other threads. Two Volt 8LX and six Volt 10LX shipped today for delivery next week.

New side surrounds will be ported 10LX towers and rears will be ported bookshelf size Volt 8LX, veneered to match my 1099s. Four Volt 10LX will be mounted in ceiling at TF and TR placement, and I'm still undecided about going sealed or IB so any input about the trade offs for this type of driver is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Reserved for final photos

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As my first photo contribution, a 4x8' sheet of 10mil Bubinga pommele paper backed veneer showed up today.

·
Registered
506 Posts
That's a nice looking veneer... do you mind sharing the cost and where you got it from?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's from GL Veneer and was $360. This sheet is comprised of four 12" wide pieces, which should work well because there shouldn't be any visible seams. For comparison, I used their 4'x9' sheet for my 1099s, and it was three 16" wide pieces per sheet which also allowed no visible seams. If you buy veneer online and don't want seams, you should call the vendor and inquire about this.

·
Banned
233 Posts
In the meantime love to see your 1099s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Banned
233 Posts

No build thread was ever done, but here are a couple photos

Whoa!!! Well done! Beautiful!!

·
Banned
233 Posts
How did you build the towers? Did you use the stock baffle and add a sealed portion to the bottom or is it part of the ported volume and it's a custom baffle?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used the stock baffles and glued an additional piece of MDF at the bottom. The additional chamber at the bottom is not part of the speaker volume. The rest of the cabinet was done custom. If you want I should have an excel file with the dimensions of all panels and a Visio layout showing how the pieces were cut from the sheets of MDF.

Reactions: Modicen

·
Banned
233 Posts
I used the stock baffles and glued an additional piece of MDF at the bottom. The additional chamber at the bottom is not part of the speaker volume. The rest of the cabinet was done custom. If you want I should have an excel file with the dimensions of all panels and a Visio layout showing how the pieces were cut from the sheets of MDF.

That would be most appreciated!!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
FriscoD--please post Excel file and the layout here so others, like me :) can see how you did it too.

Why did you not include the base as part of the bottom woofer volume?

I'm considering the 1299 and want to raise the center of the CD to listening height, so I'm thinking of doing something similar.

VERY nice looking LCR's--well done!

Nice "stand" for the C also--it looks like you have it tilted just wee bit?
Ron

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks I will try to post some more details about the 1099 build in the next week. The center has a 5 degree rake so the waveguide points at the MLP, and the height was chosen to raise it slightly off the console while still clearing the tv. I didn't mess with the ports or volume on the left or right speakers just to keep things relatively simple.

·
Registered
16 Posts
thanks I will try to post some more details about the 1099 build in the next week. The center has a 5 degree rake so the waveguide points at the MLP, and the height was chosen to raise it slightly off the console while still clearing the tv. I didn't mess with the ports or volume on the left or right speakers just to keep things relatively simple.
Count me as one more that would appreciate additional detail on your 1099 L&R tower builds. They look fantastic.

I will also be using a horizontal 1099 center on top of a media cabinet. I understand the purpose of the 5 degree angle to aim the waveguide at the MLP. Is there an acoustical reason for raising the speaker off the console? Does that allow you to position it further back from the front edge of the console and still avoid reflections off the top of the console?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Liftoff!

Reactions: ORIF and luisev

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Crossovers are assembled. it was very, very easy with the boards.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts