AVS Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Use the fill stick, sounds like the gap is small enough you'll be the only one who notices. I wouldn't take a chance or all the effort you put in to this point for that. I think the stick will cover better than sawdust and glue. If your not sure on the color easy enough to buy multi color kits. They look awesome, great job

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks For the input. A WAF attack has occurred, and the standard rear surround Volt 8 might need to be replaced with Volt 6s due to the size and placement. Thankfully I have enough veneer left to complete them. This time I opted for a flatpack to cut the assembly time.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
After a little break I am back at it

Cleaning the veneer with mineral spirits:

And removing the small edge and glue residue with mineral spirits and a razor blade:

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Nice work & I love the idea of 10XL towers you got me thinking now..Subbed.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
And first coat of oil is on:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
After hearing my Volt10-LXs in the small, sealed angled box that DIYSG sells (and been satisfied, but not blown away by sub-100Hz response), I've always wondered what they could do in a larger, ported box. Not that I could use larger, ported boxes for my surrounds, but the curiosity is still there.

When I was bench-testing them, I was using the built-in crossover on a Crown 1500XLS amp. Had it set at around 85Hz or whatever the closest setting was and noticed the driver cone not moving much at all, even with considerable db output. So I thought "there's a lot more low-end left in this thing" so I lowered the crossover point to 63Hz, but there was really no noticeable increase in low-end output.

The driver simply can't do more low-end in a .5cf sealed box. Looking forward to your results and you do great veneer work, BTW!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
After hearing my Volt10-LXs in the small, sealed angled box that DIYSG sells (and been satisfied, but not blown away by sub-100Hz response), I've always wondered what they could do in a larger, ported box. Not that I could use larger, ported boxes for my surrounds, but the curiosity is still there.

When I was bench-testing them, I was using the built-in crossover on a Crown 1500XLS amp. Had it set at around 85Hz or whatever the closest setting was and noticed the driver cone not moving much at all, even with considerable db output. So I thought "there's a lot more low-end left in this thing" so I lowered the crossover point to 63Hz, but there was really no noticeable increase in low-end output.

The driver simply can't do more low-end in a .5cf sealed box. Looking forward to your results and you do great veneer work, BTW!
So what frequency would you cross them over at in the 0.5cf box?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I am planning on going with 80Hz @ 12/db. I'm pretty sure my Denon X4000 AVR has a 12db/oct crossover slope (not sure if it's selectable or fixed). Not sure how much output I'll actually get @80Hz, but it sure didn't hurt/strain the 10" drivers at all with them crossed over lower than that, playing at volumes I would call "loud."

BTW, my HT is about 80% complete, currently. I've not actually used the Volt10 LXs as surrounds yet, only bench-tested them. Full disclosure there.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I heard this same 10" woofer paired with two 10" passive radiators, without sub, from a cheap low power CD-receiver. Plenty of bass for music!!

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I heard this same 10" woofer paired with two 10" passive radiators, without sub, from a cheap low power CD-receiver. Plenty of bass for music!!
What kinda cab they was in ?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Second coat of paint on the 8s and 10s - the 6s I bought later are glued and ready to veneer. The four overheads are still sitting in storage. I need to run new wires, which will be a project by itself. The 10s still need bases which I will at some point, but hopefully I will get these turned on later today.

Reactions: eng-399

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
And the side 10s are ready to test - The bases are still missing

·
Registered
181 Posts
What kinda cab they was in ?
Sorry for the late reply.

It is about 90 x 35 x 28 cm (PR-coaxial-PR) external using 30 mm MDF. About 53 liters internal (1.9 cuft). I believe the 10" PR are Dayton.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts