AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On PBS tonight, Charlie Rose interviewed Disney CEO Michael Eisner. While I've always been skeptical of the man, ever since he dumped his stock options just because a Democrat was elected, there were a few glimmers of recognition that he may actually get it.

Some highlights from memory...
  • People are honest by nature (Yeah!)
  • As content providers, the first thing they must do is educate people that stealing intellectual property is wrong
  • Content providers can live with a 10 percent piracy rate; they can't survive with a 100 percent piracy rate
  • The content companies have to offer an alternative product that people will buy

All of that was good, but he seemed to be referring to Napster and the MP3 hardware devices as the same thing when clearly they are not. MP3 is not inherently bad, IMHO. He was down on virtually every hardware manufacturer -- Sony, Dell, etc. -- but oddly didn't mention Apple, whose iTunes and iDVD make content creation and copying easier and whose CEO just happens to also be CEO of a little company Disney does business with -- Pixar Animation Studios.

All in all, enlightening...

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Yes, that was a very interesting interview. I don't have any inside the industry views on Eisner's comments, but man can CR give a good interview to a broad range of people...

------------------

Dan

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I liked the part where just before he trashed all the companies that make CE and computer hardware, he asked if they could burn the tape and then at least recognized that he was going going to catch hell over his comments. Years ago, I read a book about the take over of Disney and how Eisner ascended to the thrown. It's a good read if you can find it in your local library.

One thing I think he totally missed is that they don't control the whole widget. They can make all the content they want, but it must be compatible with what the hardware makers come up. If the media companies were willing to give a bit more, the hardware makers might be more inclined to listen to their ideas on things like copy protection. The Sony and Mitsubishi statements on why they chose Firewire over DVI was most telling and I still don't think people like Eisner get it.

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
And in USA Today, an excellent piece by Michael Medved on the decline of Hollywood and more to come:

Theaters closing at the rate of 200+ a month; over 1000 closed last year.

Ten of the largest theater chains now in bankruptcy.

Ticket sales have dropped for two years in a row. First time in over a decade this has happened.

The weakest academy award contenders in memory.

Elected officials of every political persuasion attacking Hollywood's excesses.

The near certainty of devastating strikes by both writers and screen actors within a couple of weeks.

Sounds like a good time to negotiatate reasonable copy protection schemes.

·
Banned
215 Posts
Interesting that no one here commented about Eisner's aversion to HDTV programming and refusal to deliver 1080i.

With 3G cell transmissions coming to the US in late 2003, expect to receive an alternative network transmission source from your cellphone provider. Eisener (and all the other major TV network honchos) has all the bases covered while local TV/DTV broadcasters will wither on the vine by being forced to deliver both NTSC and ATSC operations and programming with no additional income stream.

[This message has been edited by Bob Utne (edited 03-21-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.