AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been awhile since the last time I've visited. Has anyone heard of or come up with a eithernet mod for the RCA UTV receiver or has anyone heard any word on the activation of the usb ports? Because I'm just about ready to switch to DirecTivo.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think the chances of ever seeing ethernet (or any other hardware upgrade) on the UTV are pretty much zero. The only way I could see it happen is if MS released the source code or it leaked out (neither of which are very likely), hackers managed to add the functionality (which I think would only happen if the code is already in there and just not enabled - actually adding this functionality probably requires way too much knowledge of the internal functioning to just patch it in easily) and there was a way to force a new update to the UTV.

You can never know but I think at this point (UTV being dead and all), that if they were to provide it, they would have provided it by now.

If nothing else, DTV probably wants consumers to switch to DirecTivo so it's very likely that they don't even want the UTV to offer it.

Just my 2 cents, Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for you 2 cents! That's just about where I'm at, a switch to direcTivo. Have you heard anything about communication between Tivo & PC through Turbonet (kinda like the Replay, except hopefully better compression)?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by micheldb

If nothing else, DTV probably wants consumers to switch to DirecTivo so it's very likely that they don't even want the UTV to offer it.

Just my 2 cents, Mike
It doesn't sound like DTV is very interested in offering home networking on their DTivo boxes either. Check out the DTivo section of the Tivo Community forums and you'll find a lot of irritated DTivo owners.

·
Registered
17,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mzbjam
Looks like Replay is the only way! That BLOWS!!!!!!!!!! Thanks
I wouldn't leap too quick. Sonic Blue just sold ReplayTV, so there is no guarantee (with all the legal issues) the new owners will keep the program sharing or commercial advance functions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First: to Kamikaze: What type of Keyboard? Because I tried hooking up a Logitech cordless and it didn't recognize it (but that was before the latest update, 3.7 isn't it?).

Second: to NetworkTV: When I said that, I was only referring to the network & data transfer capabilities! The "Record" compression is what I was referring to "That BLOWS"! I'm not saying my UTV can do any better, but we may never know? You see, My motive here is to go "Digital" from Dish to Disc. (DVD that is)! But right now I get better end results using my ATI All In Wonder! I can play with the compression ratio all I want. It just takes forever and a day to produce that end results! And that is a DVD on my shelf in place of all those diminishing VHS's I have! Hell, the copyrights haven't changed, just the media format. It all comes down to the all mighty $! Once the "Big Heads" have had there fill of the pie, I'm sure we'll all get to feed from it! I just want mine now!

·
Registered
17,597 Posts
I hate to say it, but no matter what device you go with, you're gonna have to go analog at some point to get it into your computer. ReplayTV's allow networking capabilities, but I'm pretty sure that programming can only be shared with other Replays, not with a PC. Since you gotta go analog anyway, you're better of sticking with UTV for a while. At least it only goes analog once, as opposed to RPTV which goes twice (once between the Sat receiver and RPTV and once between the unit and your computer).

My comments weren't intended to start a debate about copyrights and such. My intent was to point out that those that bought RPTVs for their sharing features may be very disapointed if the new ownership doesn't want to take on the MPAA and the other production mobs.

Until somebody makes a firewire equipped PVR, you're always going to go analog somewhere in the chain to archive your materials - and if the content producers and providers have their way, that material won't be able to leave your machine in the future the way it can now.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My understanding is that you can get Replay programs digitally into a PC (by fooling the Replay box into thinking the PC is another Replay box -- underground sort of thing).

The same is true in a different way* of TiVo (including combo boxes): ethernet via USB in Series 2 units, via aftermarket "Turbonet" card in Series 1 units. And underground software to get the info to the PC. The details of this can't really be discussed on this or the official TiVo forum, but the info is out there.

* By this I mean, don't expect to be able to easily fool an HMO-enabled TiVo into thinking your PC is another TiVo. They saw what happened to Replay, so the data is encrypted by the source TiVo and decrypted by the destination TiVo, ensuring that both boxes are in the same home and owned by the same subscriber. Emulating a destination TiVo will be very difficult (careful to avoid use of the term "impossible", but I'll be surprised if it happens).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A point well made Walters! RPTV's are capable of digital transfer to PC. Tivo 1's are via Turbonet; I haven't found anything on the series 2 via USB. But they aren't capable via turbonet at this time.

And I wasn't initiating a debate, I was just pointing out the facts as I have uncovered them through research. I don't care what brand of DVR I use as long as it accomplishes my needs! And if I should find a solution, I would be more than happy to pass it along. That is what these forums are about isn't it?

·
Registered
17,597 Posts
But wouldn't the quality you gain by running directly into a PC be lost by the fact you go analog into the unit in the first place (at least on the ReplayTVs and standalone TiVos)? It seems to me the loss of two tuners and the gaining of another box (you'll need a separate sat receiver for a standalone) is a high price to pay to burn a DVD of a show you may or may not get around to watching again. In the end, only you can decide what is right for you. I'm just stating my case from my side.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you have the choice of Transfer options, which would you choose?

1)Ethernet

2)USB

3)SVideo/Optical inputs

4)Composite/RCA inputs

These are all viable options at this time.

5)IEEE 1934 (is not an option at this time) but if it were, would be the choice of the masses, I suspect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
mzbjam,

I had a Microsoft Ergo keyboard plugged in for a while. I've since replaced it with the RCA WKB10WB1 wireless keyboard that was made for the UTV and WebTV.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When you had that MS ergo plugged in did the unit recognize it & request drivers or just assume it was an RCA?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Enjoy your new Direct Tivo.. ;)

Oh, UTV has supported MS usb keyboards since conception in version 3.1 but that about it. Any other attempts, printers, networking, etc. were dropped from development. Reason unknown, I suspect it was because of hardware limitations and development costs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.