AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I downloaded the 2.4.2 update and after re-running the setup from the help menu was immediately able to find the house HDHomerun and scan for channels. I can watch two live streams at once, with the frontmost window playing audio. Two 1080i streams takes up 175% of a MacBook core, so it's lucky they come with two cores. This is over wired Ethernet.

I've never gotten EyeTV to actually download a schedule from TitanTV, but this time I might have motivation to figure out why.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 /forum/post/0

True, but with more and more channels moving to digital tiers, NTSC is becoming less valuable with cable as well. I imagine things will move forward with cable as OTA channels phase out their analog broadcasts over the next year.

Well, even if the cableco's phase out analog, that still doesn't help me now. Between CableCard and NTSC support, I'd choose CableCard, however, I do fully realize that it will probably never happen.

ft

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1971 /forum/post/0

If only they would release this for the Australian (PAL) market. I'd buy one tomorrow.

PAL is SD. This device is digital/HD only.

Doesn't Australia use DVB? There are plenty of DVB devices out there, admittedly, none of them are network tuners like this one.

I would not begrudge the international members (spoken from an American point of view) great devices, but as an American, I've been envying you guys since you have had (up 'til now) all of the great DVR/PVR devices.

ft

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhowes /forum/post/0

I've never gotten EyeTV to actually download a schedule from TitanTV, but this time I might have motivation to figure out why.

I've never been able to download it either, so please post tips if you succeed.

So any idea if you can mix/match HD Homerun with EyeTV 500 -- can you record three channels at once??

I am not as excited as many seem to be here, as I find HD Homerun to be an ugly solution compared to the EyeTV 500. Ugly both esthetically (big and with its PC origins written all over it) and in terms of needing a power brick and using Ethernet over Firewire. And with this development, I doubt a native Elgato for clear QAM is coming soon if ever.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov /forum/post/0

So any idea if you can mix/match HD Homerun with EyeTV 500 -- can you record three channels at once??

snip...Ugly both esthetically (big and with its PC origins written all over it) and in terms of needing a power brick and using Ethernet over Firewire.

Yes, you can mix local EyeTV tuners (like the 500) with the network tuner, and use any or all of them together. You can also have multiple HDHomeRuns on your network, giving you access to as many tuners as you need.

Regarding size, it is about the same size as the 500, and has the advantage that it doesn't need to be near your computer (just near the antenna/cable and ethernet).

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

Quote:

I've never been able to download it either, so please post tips if you succeed.

I am not as excited as many seem to be here, as I find HD Homerun to be an ugly solution compared to the EyeTV 500. Ugly both esthetically (big and with its PC origins written all over it) and in terms of needing a power brick and using Ethernet over Firewire. And with this development, I doubt a native Elgato for clear QAM is coming soon if ever.

Ted,

I do agree that the HDHomeRun is UGLY. However, the biggest advantage that I see with the HDHomeRun is that it's dual tuner and networkable. The networkable part will allow you to put it next to your router, which may be in a room where aesthetics doens't matter.

Assuming a robust enough network, the HDHR will allow you to record shows on multiple Macs, without needing to connect the coax to the Mac/tuner.

I've read conflicting info about whehter 11g is robust enough to handle the streams. (It should be since HDTV maxes out at 19.2 Mbps and 11g is rated for 54...) If it is, the HDHR would replace the FW cable with 11g.

Overall, I see this as a positive development for the HTMac community.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
I am not as excited as many seem to be here, as I find HD Homerun to be an ugly solution compared to the EyeTV 500. Ugly both aesthetically (big and with its PC origins written all over it) and in terms of needing a power brick and using Ethernet over Firewire.

There should be nothing but excitement for this device; frankly, we've had very little to cheer about lately.

Sure, bus-powered and daisychained over firewire is clean and very Mac-like, but you'd have to purchase two 500 devices to equal the dual tuning capability of this device--and remember what the EyeTV500 refurbs were selling for? Most here paid between $199-250 for their first one. This device is a veritable bargain.

It certainly does seem ugly, Ted, but as long as it's on ethernet that means you can stick it anywhere, including out of sight--that's less easy to do with the 500s since you typically can't or don't run firewire that distance. That means (for most of us) our 500s sit out in plain view. Sure, I like their form factor neatly stacked one on top of the other, but I'd just assume not see them and/or not have them dangling off a different Mac.

EyeTV2 and a 500 is nice if you primarily watch your recordings on one display or in one location--and for me dual 500s work perfectly (well, except for that occasional digital audio kernel panic) so I'd never consider going backward to the Series 3 Tivo--but...

the evolution of the software for this device making it easier to network, the multiple user and multiple Mac support, the ability to still use a local 500 with the networked tuners, is also a significant development because it addresses the whole house, with multiple Macs and HDTVs and viewing locations. Nothing but win-win.

Quote:
And with this development, I doubt a native Elgato for clear QAM is coming soon if ever.

They already tried that and for a whole series of reasons, discontinued the product. No one understands QAM, too many returns, Apple support for firewire lagged, the devices were too expensive and but a single tuner anyway, El Gato's strength was always software not hardware, etc. Pick any that might apply. Fortunately we were smart enough buy one or more.

But this device coupled with actual EyeTV support is the best bit of news we've gotten around here in...maybe a year? I won't count the mythical Apple dvdplayer.app improvement, either, until the OS actually ships.

Reconsider the bandwagon before it pulls out.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Before purchasing, try to check what exactly you have for clear QAM channels from your digital cable provider. I used to have all the hi-def network channels and PBS....then my cable company started to scramble them (I don't believe they are supposed to, but cable companies play a lot of games with their customers).

Of course, if you have a lot of over-the-air hi def channels (which the HDHomeRun also tunes) then you have it made.

This is a very good device, and a great concept. Once you have your digital channels on a network, there are all kinds of possibilities for distribution, recording and archiving anywhere in your home.

I see this as a great positive step forward for the mac as a HTPC at least until the far off future when we start seeing Cable Cards enter the main stream.

If you don't like the looks, it's a simple matter of sticking it behind a book or something. The unit is quite small actually.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I am having trouble with the EyeTV software not decoding all the available QAM channels that I have. Until last night I wasn't sure if the problem was hardware or software, but now I am 100% certain the problem is with they EyeTV software. I am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and knows of a solution.

I have had two EyeTV 500s for some time. They worked fine until a few months ago when half my channels stopped working. I was at first fearful that the problem was with my cable company.

Then I bought an HDHomeRun (prior to the Elgato announcement) and it WAS ABLE to tune in the missing channels.

Then I bought an HDTV with a QAM tuner and it too was able to tune in the missing channels.

After Elgato's announcement last night I emailed Elgato and was promptly given a link to download the new EyeTV software. I was able to get it to work just fine, but it still can't find the same missing channels.

So, I think that pretty much confirms this is a problem with the Elgato software.

Does anyone have any advice?

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
So, I think that pretty much confirms this is a problem with the Elgato software.

Actually, Sean, I'd interpret your observations differently, it's almost certainly hardware--the 500 is the oldest of your devices, so it might be that it's a chip or firmware issue in the 500 that can't be updated via software, i.e. El Gato can't do anything about it. Were the missing channels in the same place, on the same frequency as before? I haven't yet experienced what you've described--when I've lost a previously free and clear QAM channel, when Comcast all of sudden decides to move or encrypt a channel, ALL of my QAM tuners are equally affected: dual 500s (old), LG 3410A (old) and HDTVs (old and new.)

I hope you uncover something.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank /forum/post/0

After Elgato's announcement last night I emailed Elgato and was promptly given a link to download the new EyeTV software. I was able to get it to work just fine, but it still can't find the same missing channels.

So, I think that pretty much confirms this is a problem with the Elgato software?

Interesting. I've certainly experienced QAM channels randomly disappearing, although I have no evidence it is Elgato's fault as the networks/PBS have always been available.

To those who answered me -- yes, you have a good point vis-a-vis the advantages of a networked device. Still, I'm not going to rush out and buy one as first I would need to add a wired router (the best solution would be simply to upgrade to the pre-N AirPort, as I need to do that at some point anyway) and get more disk space.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
Still, I'm not going to rush out and buy one as first I would need to add a wired router (the best solution would be simply to upgrade to the pre-N AirPort, as I need to do that at some point anyway)

Not necessarily. If Apple had seen fit to include gigabit on their "n" Airport basestation, I'd have agreed with you. But Apple didn't.

No need for new router, you probably have the "g" Airport extreme for your Powerbook? If so, another approach is to plug a

·
Registered
2,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/0

Thanks...if we're to accept El Gato at their word, it's Apple's problem, so you HD Homerun users should be getting them just like us 500 owners.

I've never had a kernel panic with my 500 and my PowerMac G5 or my Core Duo mini.

·
Registered
617 Posts

Quote:

Actually, Sean, I'd interpret your observations differently, it's almost certainly hardware--the 500 is the oldest of your devices, so it might be that it's a chip or firmware issue in the 500 that can't be updated via software, i.e. El Gato can't do anything about it. Were the missing channels in the same place, on the same frequency as before? I haven't yet experienced what you've described--when I've lost a previously free and clear QAM channel, when Comcast all of sudden decides to move or encrypt a channel, ALL of my QAM tuners are equally affected: dual 500s (old), LG 3410A (old) and HDTVs (old and new.)

I hope you uncover something.

Its not the hardware. I at first thought it was my old EyeTV 500s too. But I bought an HDHomeRun in May and the "missing" channels were tuned fine with it using the Windows software. Now that I can use the HDHomeRun with the EyeTV software those same two channels can't be tuned, while everything else comes in fine.

So, the same two channels can't be tuned while using EyeTV software with either an EyeTV 500 or an HDHomeRun. But the HDHomeRun tunes them fine when using the Windows software.

So, it must be the software!

I have sent in a support request to Elgato. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

Quote:

Not necessarily. If Apple had seen fit to include gigabit on their "n" Airport basestation, I'd have agreed with you. But Apple didn't.

No need for new router, you probably have the "g" Airport extreme for your Powerbook? If so, another approach is to plug a

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon B /forum/post/0

Do you mean this one ? And are you saying I can put this in between my router and other devices, and they will still get their own address from DHCP assignment even though they would effectively be sharing a single ethernet port on the router?

That would solve several problems I am having at the moment.

BB

Yes, this one works great. I have this one connected between my airport extreme router and everything else. They also offer mail-in rebates regularly, making it even cheaper. You'll get gigabit for approx $30!

And yes, the DHCP server in your router will still assign addresses to all other devices. It's just a switch in between.

Best,

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:

Kernel panics: I thought they were strictly related to playback, and therefore a software issue -- wouldn't they happen without an EyeTV 500 plugged in, if you were just watching stuff, with sound output set to DD (or whatever the option that was NOT system sound is called)? So in theory they could still be happening with HDHomeRun without it being Apple's fault.

The kernel panics are not hardware related. We keep getting them only when watching a recording, while at the same time eyetv records something. And it only happens when using the optical digital out. It happens on my G5, others do get it on different hardware (chef's getting them on his macbook if I'm not mistaken).

I've submitted the kernel panic logs several times to apple already, even included email and offered to help - but no response of course.

I'm about an inch away of switching back to analog audio out. It's just unacceptable and quite often my wife and I have to abstain from watching something because I'm afraid the machine will panic and thus ruin the ongoing recording.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts