AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
seank,

I noticed the same thing with EyeTV, it wasn't able to find all my QAM channels. There is even a mention in the readme.

I used the QAM scan feature from the built in HDHR utility to find them, then manually added them. I believe the problem was the inacturate channel list the had. I had to put in analog channels since the digital channels weren't there.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I've used my HDHR over 802.11g for some time, it works great. In certain rooms of my house it breaks up, but I get full signal in my living room where I use it.

I like the networked tuner because I use it with my MBP on the coffee table. I mostly use it for PIP, a feature that my beloved TiVo doesn't have. So on Sundays I put my main game on the big screen and on my MBP then when I flip around all the games, I always know when my main game is back on.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Ben,

I have tried to manually add the channel in question. It appears to recognize it, but then nothing gets added.

I have been in touch with Elgato tech support. They have asked me to provide them with a transponder dump for the frequency in question (they gave me instructions on how to activate that feature). I did two dumps last night for each my EyeTV 500 and my HDHomeRun. I uploaded them to the Elgato ftp server. It was over a gig total!

Anyway, hopefully they can find a way to fix the problem. I'll post if anything happens.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I use the powerline HD products to send stuff from my disk array on my Mac Pro to my mini hooked up to the TV. I stream 1080i TS's over it without even a hiccup. The HDhomerun might be ideal for me but I might stick with my trusty old ETV500 for now. Works great if your wiring cooperates but as with any powerline product YMMV.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Swapped my 2 EyeTV 500s out for a HomeRunHD a couple of days ago. It's doing exactly the same thing (plus some...) as the two larger devices in addition to sending live TV to any networked computer.

HUGE upgrade in my opinion.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank /forum/post/0

Ben,

I have tried to manually add the channel in question. It appears to recognize it, but then nothing gets added.

I have been in touch with Elgato tech support. They have asked me to provide them with a transponder dump for the frequency in question (they gave me instructions on how to activate that feature). I did two dumps last night for each my EyeTV 500 and my HDHomeRun. I uploaded them to the Elgato ftp server. It was over a gig total!

Anyway, hopefully they can find a way to fix the problem. I'll post if anything happens.

Did you get a fix for this ? I can't get EyeTV to find any QAM or any ASTC channels using auto-scan, and like you I try to add them and nothing gets added. No error, no warning. So I have EyeTV and HDHomeRun and I can't do anything. The HDHomeRun works fine using HDHRControl.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I caved and got a Homerun as the dual tuners seemed too good to pass up. So far so good. I did notice there was a firmware update available when I checked devices in the prefs and ran it. I didn't notice any changes but I can stream HD 1080i no problem to my mini core duo hooked up to my TV. Overall it looks to be pretty nice.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I did recently get a note back from Elgato tech support with a link to a beta version of the software to try to see if it fixes the problem. Unfortunately, I am traveling through the end of next week so I won't be able to try it for a while. I will try it as soon as I get back and post an update.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryNY /forum/post/0

I caved and got a Homerun as the dual tuners seemed too good to pass up. So far so good. I did notice there was a firmware update available when I checked devices in the prefs and ran it. I didn't notice any changes but I can stream HD 1080i no problem to my mini core duo hooked up to my TV. Overall it looks to be pretty nice.

Thanks for letting us know!

I've just ordered a mini and a homerun to replace the damn Miglia TVmini HD. Although this little devil has recorded well most of the time (maybe 80%?), it's a real pain in the neck and messes up the usb bus, so I can't wait to get these two new toys!

Best,

·
Registered
11 Posts
The HDHomerun, for the curious, has two hybrid tuners inside. They're ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuners. Unfortunately, they didn't put an MPEG2 encoder on the analogue side, so it can only tune and stream the ATSC/QAM (which are obviously already in MPEG2, being digital.)

So it could have been more than it is, but someone somewhere made a decision and this is the device that results. On the whole, Elgato did a nice job of fixing what had been a real problem with using the device previously -

In the past, you had to launch VLC to play the stream and when you changed channels, kill the stream and relaunch it in VLC - and that meant it took a long time to change channels and surfing became impossible.

Elgato solved that problem nicely.

My experience with the HDHomerun here is that it doesn't always work well with the Elgato software - Elgato loses the connection and respawns it and I end up with ten video windows open for the two tuner inputs. It gets really annoying in the middle of a show. I'm crediting that to Elgato, since it never happened just viewing the streams with VLC.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by migliavictor /forum/post/0

My experience with the HDHomerun here is that it doesn't always work well with the Elgato software - Elgato loses the connection and respawns it and I end up with ten video windows open for the two tuner inputs. It gets really annoying in the middle of a show. I'm crediting that to Elgato, since it never happened just viewing the streams with VLC.

Does this happen with recordings, or just live streams?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by migliavictor /forum/post/0

The HDHomerun, for the curious, has two hybrid tuners inside. They're ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuners. Unfortunately, they didn't put an MPEG2 encoder on the analogue side, so it can only tune and stream the ATSC/QAM (which are obviously already in MPEG2, being digital.)

So it could have been more than it is, but someone somewhere made a decision and this is the device that results.

Analog signals are EOL (end of life). The HDR is a next generation product and it would be silly to use mpeg encoders.

·
Immaculate Grand Phoobah
3,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 /forum/post/0

Analog signals are EOL (end of life). The HDR is a next generation product and it would be silly to use mpeg encoders.

and yet I would buy one if it did have the mpeg encoders since Comcast has deemed our little piece of heaven to be in the very last group of customers (and all that implies) to get digital & HD. Maybe mid-2008, but we're not holding our breath...

·
Registered
465 Posts
So I've had an HDHomeRun hooked up for a couple of days and upgraded to EyeTV 2.4.2. The HDHR is in addition to my EyeTV Hybrid. All three tuners are attached to an antenna for OTA ATSC reception.

Just wanted to report that that I had three concurrent recordings going last night. Two HD and one SD. All 2 hour programs. EyeTV was using about 22% of one CPU on my Core Duo mini (I wasn't trying to watch anything live at the time).

So far, so good.

Craig

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
My experience with the HDHomerun here is that it doesn't always work well with the Elgato software

But at least El Gato currently offers hope by selling and actively supporting a product for the Mac with dual tuners, dual inputs, ATSC and QAM. Sure it's ugly, but at least those who don't already have multiple EyeTV500s now have a very affordable option for HDTV with software that just might get the few remaining kinks ironed out in due course.

Victor, you work for Miglia. So when El Gato muscled into the cheap USB hardware game themselves, and for whatever reason(s) no longer licensed their EyeTV software to be sold with your hardware, you became direct competitors of El Gato on both the hardware and software front. And you were left without any software to ship with your products. Then Miglia was bought out by the HDMI Group with the stated intent to sell even more products to the Windows/PC crowd. My hope is you get your own house in order, and release something we can care about. If it ships with software that at least competes with, or perhaps even transcends EyeTV, we'll be the first to trumpet it.

But I pity the poor folks out there who, instead of picking up one or two used EyeTV500s, have been waiting for the TVMini HD+ since January. They're still waiting. And the Fall HDTV season is right around the corner...

(By the way, gotta give Victor and the Miglia folks a lot of credit--they've set up their own discussion forums and dealt with unhappy customers as best they can right out in the open. See here:

http://miglia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=164

This is something El Gato has not yet done, which, frankly bodes well for Miglia as they go forward.)

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/0

Sure it's ugly...

I think a case hack is in order, or at least a front panel.

Calling Ben Heckendorn...

·
Registered
640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye_cahn /forum/post/0

I think a case hack is in order, or at least a front panel.

Calling Ben Heckendorn...

I think I have a solution:

Before:

and

wait for it...

wait for it...

After:

I only have one bag on there but I think she might be a two bagger

Seriously I don't think it looks all that bad and you can stick it under your desk or just about anywhere you want. I wouldn't really recommend the bag hack though - it gets pretty warm sitting in the open air to begin with lol.

-Jerry C.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As I mentioned in another thread, I just got an HD Home Run and an Eye TV hybrid and have it working on a Core 2 Duo Mini. The whole thing works rather seamlessly and the only thing which will be visible to anyone in rhe room when I'm done is the mini itself. Um, right, and the TV. Right now I have the HDHR hooked up through a leftover hub but I got a gigabit Airport Extreme the other day and when I have some time I'll hook it up to that.

The looks on the HD Home Run are below average for most Mac users and completely normal for most PC users. But it's a network device, so there's absolutely no need to complain about the way it looks. Put it up in the attic if you want.

I control everything through my Harmony remote, where I've set up an activity which includes IR commands from both the Apple Remote as well as the Eye TV remote, and I also use Sofa Control for controlling pretty much everything else (iTunes, iPhoto, Front Row, etc.) Still waiting for the new BT keyboard to arrive, but frankly I suspect I won't be using it much (I did a majority of the setup through Remote Desktop).

It's clear that EyeTV is still testing the waters when it comes to their software controlling multiple devices. Every once in a while it gets "stuck"--doesn't freeze--but prevents you from switching tuners. Easy enough to quit and restart EyeTV, and I'm sure they're working on it and other deficiencies in the user experience of EyeTV.

Anyway, feel free to ask away if any of you have questions. I'm surprised I got this all up and running so quickly; I was giving myself 5 days to get everything working (I'm a 22 year mac user and an electronic musician, but I know squat about HD) and it took less than two hours. Unpacking the stuff took longer than getting it working.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had an HD Homerun and bought the EyeTV software for it. The EyeTV requires more overhead than VLC, making even STV signals that played fine in VLC stutter on my G5 iMac. That's ok, it ultimately hastened my decision to get a new iMac, but it means I can't put the software through its paces for another couple of weeks.

I have a feeling that getting the QAM channels mapped will be a pain, but we'll see...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by procon /forum/post/11351224

I had an HD Homerun and bought the EyeTV software for it. The EyeTV requires more overhead than VLC, making even STV signals that played fine in VLC stutter on my G5 iMac. That's ok, it ultimately hastened my decision to get a new iMac, but it means I can't put the software through its paces for another couple of weeks.

Can the functions of EyeTV be split onto two computers, one to record and the other to play back?

41 - 60 of 69 Posts