AVS Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin /forum/post/11351761

Can the functions of EyeTV be split onto two computers, one to record and the other to play back?

You install EyeTV on both computers, the package that you can order from Elgato comes with 2 serial numbers too, and you can play and record from either. If one computer is using one tuner it will tell you that one is occupied but you can use two tuners on one computer and watch two channels. There is no real reason to split any functions up as any computer on the network running EyeTV can use any available tuner and change channels and record etc.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryNY /forum/post/11351807

There is no real reason to split any functions up as any computer on the network running EyeTV can use any available tuner and change channels and record etc.

The reason I asked is because someone was mentioning their computer was perhaps inadequate to the task at hand. So being able to split the record and playback across two computers might have some value. Or is it that playback takes 90% of the cycles and there isn't much to gain by using a different computer to record?

·
Registered
640 Posts
I don't think recording is any more taxing on the CPU than just transferring the stream to the disk in use. All the real CPU usage is in the playback. Recording 1080i streams is fine on any Mac that has a hard drive capable of writing 3-4MB/s, which should be just about anything. If a computer is not powerful enough to playback the HD data streams then it won't really matter about recording it elsewhere. In any event you can record easily on just about any system, even with very sub-par specs for HD playback, and watch it over the network on one that has sufficient muscle. If you have a good wired network you don't even need to have the EyeTV recording folder local, you can leave everything on a network drive or on a shared volume on another computer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think El Gato could make some changes to EyeTV that would really help multi-computer situations, especially now that they can use the HDHomeRun.

Consider this situation. You have two (or more) computers, and you'd like both computers to be able to record to a NAS drive and you'd like both computers to be able to play any of the recordings from any system (should be easy, since you're storing them all on the network, right?)

I have a setup like that right now. I have a G4 Mac mini running as a web/email server, and since it's always on, I'd like to do all of my recording with it. I also have a MacBook that is actually fast enough to play the 720p and 1080i recordings.

I know that I can drag and drop any recordings onto the application to play them, but I want the list of available recordings to show up in EyeTV! I've tried setting both computer's EyeTV library/recording folder to the same folder, but since scheduled recordings are stored in the same location, both computers import that scheduled recording and end up trying to record.

So my present setup involves setting the MacBook EyeTV library folder to an empty folder, and then using an AppleScript to delete everything in the folder, make new aliases of all recordings (but not schedules) in the actual recordings folder, and store them in the MacBook folder, and then launch the EyeTV program. The disadvantage for this setup is that new recordings made with the mini while the MacBook EyeTV is open won't show up in the library until the next time it is launched (and the AppleScript re-aliases everything). I tried to come up with a script that would watch the original recording folder and automatically create new aliases, but wasn't successful.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have good news on my issue of some of my QAM channels not working. I had sent Elgato some transponder dumps and a week later they gave me a link to download some beta software. Unfortunately I was away for a week.

I am back now and I have good news! Elgato fixed the isssue! I am now able to get all the HD Network channels with both my EyeTV 500s and the HDHomeRun.

So, if anyone else is still having issues where certain QAM channels are not working, I suggest you contact Elgato.

I am not sure when the fixes in the beta version they gave me will be incorporated into a release

-Sean

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the HDHomeRun and it only tunes in the OTA broadcast channels like (CBS,ABC...) Not the cable channels like ESPN, CNN, MTV... I'm in the Milwaukee area and use Time Warner Digital cable.

Should Elgato EyeTV 2.4.2 (2906) tune in all the unscramble channels?

·
Registered
640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Kramer /forum/post/11430462

I have the HDHomeRun and it only tunes in the OTA broadcast channels like (CBS,ABC...) Not the cable channels like ESPN, CNN, MTV... I'm in the Milwaukee area and use Time Warner Digital cable.

Should Elgato EyeTV 2.4.2 (2906) tune in all the unscramble channels?

That entirely depends on your cable provider. I have Time Warner in NY and it has all the OTA channels plus TNT-HD and some of the basic cable channels like E! and the Travel channel. I used to be able to get Discovery HD and YES-HD. During the Olympics they opened up Universal HD for a while. When they add new channels, especially new HD ones, they tend to put them on unencrypted QAM and at a later date they may move it off and encrypt it.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Kramer /forum/post/11430462

The HDHR should tune into the OTA-HD channels as you have observed.

The analog SD channels will not be picked up with the HDHR, as it does not have an NTSC tuner.

If your cable system is completely digital, then the HDHR will be able to tune into the digital-SD channels, provided they are unencrypted.

ft

61 - 69 of 69 Posts