AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I've been shearching for good bookshelves to listen electronic musics ( mostly house music).

I got the opportunity to buy one of these 2 models for a good bargain. Let me know if you guys know both and what you could say about their musicality.. bass.. sound details....etc...

I think both are good options, once BS 243 won the award of the best bookshelf on its range and the new GX series from MA got a lot of 5 star reviews... they are made from almost the same material of the platinum series..etc..

Let me know your opnion about them and also if you have another option to match these 2 bookshelves.

Regards

Ricardo

·
Registered
52 Posts
Me, me ... I've heard the ELAC BS43, I thought they were a lovely sounding pair of speakers, I liked them so much I ended up buying a pair of the BS244 - from the same series but with a 30mm bigger woofer, wider frequency range. I've had these in a stereo setup for 18 months and just love them, the tweeter and the woofer in these models is amazing.

I have Monitor Audio RS8 in my surround setup and whilst I enjoy the music that comes from these, the quality of the sound of the ELAC is superior to my ears. I haven't heard the GX Series yet, I am sure they are nice sounding

If you are interested check out these two videos

The first video shows the process of building the woofer:

The second video showing how they build the tweeter:

Hope my little bit biased opinion helps somehow!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Observer /forum/post/20933356

Me, me ... I've heard the ELAC BS43, I thought they were a lovely sounding pair of speakers, I liked them so much I ended up buying a pair of the BS244 - from the same series but with a 30mm bigger woofer, wider frequency range. I've had these in a stereo setup for 18 months and just love them, the tweeter and the woofer in these models is amazing.

I have Monitor Audio RS8 in my surround setup and whilst I enjoy the music that comes from these, the quality of the sound of the ELAC is superior to my ears. I haven't heard the GX Series yet, I am sure they are nice sounding

If you are interested check out these two videos

The first video shows the process of building the woofer:

The second video showing how they build the tweeter:

Hope my little bit biased opinion helps somehow!

Thanks Casual_Observer! You helped me a lot!

What is your fav type of music? Do you think Elac BS244 would play house music so good? Are they more neutral, bright or a little muffled ? What about the bass. Does it go down enought and so fast? Any fatigue?

I've heard good thinks about the BS243 but once I like House Music I think I do need the 244 for the bass. The new GX line is another good option. They are made almost from the same material used in the Platinum line. I think the GX100 is a good deal as well.

Anyone more to compare them both?

Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I listen to a wide variety of music via an iMac or Arcam DVD player, Cambridge Audio 650A amp, very nice indeed! I listen to artists such as Cornelius, Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, Lemon Jelly, Dave's True Story, lots of very different types - 35 years of music available! Tough decision for you to make, I'm sure you'll be very happy with either.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all. I haven't bought the pair of speakers I wanted to my stereo setup. As said I do like House music which needs some good bass to play well.

I've heard a lot of good things about Elac ( BS 243 and 244) and also Monitor Audio GX100. I asked about them few months ago but at that time no one had these speakers or had listened to them. Let me know if some of you already have them or have listened to them.

Here in Brazil I can buy the GX100 for 2000 usd, BS 243 for 2000 usd and 244 for 3000 usd. Not sure if worths paying 1000 usd more for BS 244 if I can pay only 2000 usd for GX100.

Thank you guys so much

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello, not sure if you still need the advice, but I'm using the BS 244 Black Edition in my Audyssey DSX surround system (I have 5 of them in the front for center, left, right and the wides coupled with some non-Elac dipoles in the back for surround channels), subwoofer crossover at 50Hz.

If you have the choice between the 243 and the 244 I'd definately take the 244.

What can I say about the 244 BE? They're superb. The transparency is totally great and the bass response is huge for bookshelf speakers (I use them on speaker stands). I sometimes even switch to the pure audio mode on my Onkyo receiver that shuts down everything but the two stereo fronts and delivers the whole frequency spectrum over them and the bass is more than adequate for me.

However, there are a few things you should be aware of:

*These speakers need room. You can't simply put them against a wall as their bass reflex tube points backwards.

*They aren't floorstanders. Therefore, if you're into really bass heavy music, they might - just as any other bookshelf speaker - not be your first choice if you don't have an extra sub. This is especially true if you have a large room. In a small room, they might even be a better choice than floorstanders who tend to sound muddy at too close a range.

*They're not quite the most efficient design power wise. Plan a powerful amp into your budget.

Also, tbh, 3000 bucks for the pair is a bit much in my opinion.

The Black Edition cost me EUR 850 per speaker and the "normal" 244 would have been EUR 650, that's about USD 1105 and 845 respectively. I think you might be better off ordering them somewhere in Europe or probably the US...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.