AVS Forum banner

2101 - 2120 of 2826 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Building my second HT (bigger this time. the older one is a pioneer HTP-074 Kit). I picked the Denon AVR-S730H 7.2 Channel 4K Ultra HD Atmos Network AV Receiver, Polk Audio RC60i 6.5" In-Ceiling Speakers for the atmos channels, Elac Debut F6 Floor Standing Speakers, 1 Pair of Book shelf speakers(B5) and 1 Center Speaker C5.
Is this a good mix for the AVR or I should get a separate AMP to power the speakers?
The Sub is not yet decided. I am planning for the Elac SUB3010-BK 3000 Series 10" 400 Watt Subwoofer.
There are not much reviews online for this mix. Any suggestions / tips on this build?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Building my second HT (bigger this time. the older one is a pioneer HTP-074 Kit). I picked the Denon AVR-S730H 7.2 Channel 4K Ultra HD Atmos Network AV Receiver, Polk Audio RC60i 6.5" In-Ceiling Speakers for the atmos channels, Elac Debut F6 Floor Standing Speakers, 1 Pair of Book shelf speakers(B5) and 1 Center Speaker C5.
Is this a good mix for the AVR or I should get a separate AMP to power the speakers?
The Sub is not yet decided. I am planning for the Elac SUB3010-BK 3000 Series 10" 400 Watt Subwoofer.
There are not much reviews online for this mix. Any suggestions / tips on this build?
You will be fine, these are easy speakers to drive. If you look back in the thread, you will see this question answered dozens of times. I have b5 and ub/c5.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just picked up a pair of "like new" Elac B4 off Amazon for $99 to use as rear speakers to finally move my 3.0.2 setup to 5.0.2. First off pretty sure these are totally new speakers just the original box had slight damage on it so totally ecstatic there. AcousticSoundDesign Factory still has a few left so worth picking up if you are looking for a deal on the B4's.

Only used them for a few hours so far as my mains (sitting on top of my F5's) and I have to say these are really impressive speakers, I almost feel bad relegating them to a life of being rear speakers. They are still quite big but nice to save some space over the B5s even if it's not much, downside there however is the A4s won't sit nicely on them but by the time I have a 9 channel receiver (years from now) I won't be able to find the A4s and will want new speakers so it doesn't much matter.

Anyway just glad I was able to complete my "Debut Debut" series before they most likely get discontinued for the Debut 2.0 (which I'm sure are great speakers I just wanted a whole matching set for both looks and sound consistency)
Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered a pair of those B4s to use as surrounds. That's an excellent price. I'd love to find some A4s for anywhere close to that lol

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Ugh, I missed the Uni-Fi B5 Sale on Amazon. They are now regular price! Why did I hesitate!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Ugh, I missed the Uni-Fi B5 Sale on Amazon. They are now regular price! Why did I hesitate!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do what I do and set a camelcamelcamel.com price alert and if you want to go even further than Amazon set up an alert for Slickdeals too. It's a great way to passively watch for a deal without constantly having to check the webpage.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Managed to grab a pair of the Uni-Fi UB5s for $400 during the recent amazon sale. Missed the $350 price by just that much. Other than wishing for a touch more low-end (which I could always get a sub to fix) I flipping LOVE these speakers. Fantastic imaging, treble/mid/bass integration. Detailed and yet non-fatiguing.

Plus, they can be driven easily by the Emotiva A-100 amp. I was looking for something that sounded on par with a pair of excellent headphones and I pretty much got what I wanted. I've heard the B6s (which I love) and I own the Pioneer FS52s. Eventually I'll want to replace the FS52s with Elacs. Which ones I eventually get are still TBD, but it's looking like the Debut 2.0s.

Reactions: DaverJ

·
Registered
110 Posts
If anyone knows of any Adante reviews other than the little bit posted by cnet, I’d love a link. I wish so much these were at a magnolia design center so that we could check them out.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I had a set of Uni-fi F5's and ended up returning them. They were somewhat difficult to power and honestly, I didn't like the "brightness" all that much. I found them a bit fatiguing to listen to. I really preferred my B6's to them, at least in terms of the music that I listen to. Not sure how the Uni-fi B5's would be, though.

I was hoping the Uni-fi line would be a "better" Debut, but to me it was not so much better but perhaps "different".

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I had a set of Uni-fi F5's and ended up returning them. They were somewhat difficult to power and honestly, I didn't like the "brightness" all that much. I found them a bit fatiguing to listen to. I really preferred my B6's to them, at least in terms of the music that I listen to. Not sure how the Uni-fi B5's would be, though.

I was hoping the Uni-fi line would be a "better" Debut, but to me it was not so much better but perhaps "different".
I went from the b5 to ub5 and it's a much better speaker in my opinion. It could be your room too. My Elacs are in the bedroom which is carpeted and has a king size bed to absorb reflections.

I compared the b5, ub5, Pioneer AJ bs and some old Hafler towers and settled on the Haflers for that room. It's a highly reflective room. Originally I bought a pair of RBH/EMP towers for that room and they didn't sound right. I swapped them with another set of speakers in the main theater and both rooms sounded better.

What were you using to drive the speakers? I've never had problems with the Elacs and my Denon x2100 and Yamaha 867.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I went from the b5 to ub5 and it's a much better speaker in my opinion. It could be your room too. My Elacs are in the bedroom which is carpeted and has a king size bed to absorb reflections.

I compared the b5, ub5, Pioneer AJ bs and some old Hafler towers and settled on the Haflers for that room. It's a highly reflective room. Originally I bought a pair of RBH/EMP towers for that room and they didn't sound right. I swapped them with another set of speakers in the main theater and both rooms sounded better.

What were you using to drive the speakers? I've never had problems with the Elacs and my Denon x2100 and Yamaha 867.
My main listening room is hardwood and no fabrics anywhere so to speak, except for two chairs. So yeah, bright speakers end up being really bright. And the bass response of the UF5 was decent, but it needed higher volume levels to achieve it. The B6's just play effortlessly and have a satisfying tone and depth at lower/medium volume levels. I could not say the same for the UF5. The UB5's may be different though. I just did not like the floor-standers.

I was driving it with a Yamaha A-S701, which has some power. But it was a good 1/5 turn on the volume knob more.

I would like to see a UB6 made, which could be the best of both worlds. I heard the new B6.2 at a Best Buy and I didn't come away really impressed. I get why the changes were made, but I think a lot of people will miss the original B6 when it is gone...

·
Registered
414 Posts
My main listening room is hardwood and no fabrics anywhere so to speak, except for two chairs. So yeah, bright speakers end up being really bright. And the bass response of the UF5 was decent, but it needed higher volume levels to achieve it. The B6's just play effortlessly and have a satisfying tone and depth at lower/medium volume levels. I could not say the same for the UF5. The UB5's may be different though. I just did not like the floor-standers.

I was driving it with a Yamaha A-S701, which has some power. But it was a good 1/5 turn on the volume knob more.

I would like to see a UB6 made, which could be the best of both worlds. I heard the new B6.2 at a Best Buy and I didn't come away really impressed. I get why the changes were made, but I think a lot of people will miss the original B6 when it is gone...
You should consider some accoustic treatments. Speakers generally don't sound very good in reflective rooms.

Sent from my noble decide. Please exucse any typos.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
You should consider some accoustic treatments. Speakers generally don't sound very good in reflective rooms.
I don't necessarily disagree, but both my B6's and my Wharfedales sound great in there. I'm not knocking the UF5...just said that they didn't work for me and/or were not what I expected.

Heck, my BS22's sound fantastic in the same room/location. Either I got a set of ringers or they just really agree with that spot.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Zorba has Wharfedale and says the top end is mellow. Debut 1.0 aren't sharp either from what I've read about them. I've had UB5 and found their tweeter to be just right, not at all bright but can get there when the recording asks for it. Granted my space has soft furniture and a hardwood floor. This happy accident (not of my doing) helps speakers sound their best.

Sent from my noble decide. Please exucse any typos.

·
Registered
14 Posts
New A4.2 Atmos modules give crossover advantage?

I am waffling between the Debut (1.0) A4 module to complement my UF5/UC5/B6 array and spending a little more on the A4.2 (Debut 2.0). I noticed elac.com lists the A4.2 as having a 5kHz crossover, while the spec sheet for it lists 2kHz as the crossover. (The A4 is consistently listed as having a 5kHz crossover.) So I wondered if the new module indeed has a lower crossover point, and if that might be better for lending directionality (maybe not the right word) to more of the spectrum, and thus more of the body of overhead effects.

Anyone know what the accurate number is? And if it's lower in the new series, an opinion on whether that matters?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Elac B6 - Size

Just received the Elac B6 speakers I ordered to use as surround speakers for the Elac F6 fronts and C5 center
I already have. The speakers sound amazing! My only regret is the size. I looked at the specs before I bought
them and thought they would be O.K.. It was surprising how big they are once you get them
out of the box! They are a bit too big for my listening area and luckily I have another set up
where I can use them as the fronts. Anyone have any ideas of another speaker of equal or better
quality that are smaller that can serve as surround sound speakers?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Just received the Elac B6 speakers I ordered to use as surround speakers for the Elac F6 fronts and C5 center
I already have. The speakers sound amazing! My only regret is the size. I looked at the specs before I bought
them and thought they would be O.K.. It was surprising how big they are once you get them
out of the box! They are a bit too big for my listening area and luckily I have another set up
where I can use them as the fronts. Anyone have any ideas of another speaker of equal or better

Why not the B5 or B4? Or is the B4 still too big? I have the B4s for my rear and they are great, still a pretty decent sized speaker though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did the same thing, and would be interested in knowing the top suggestions if I decide to swap things around, myself.

2101 - 2120 of 2826 Posts