AVS Forum banner

2801 - 2820 of 2826 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I recently purchased the ARF51 in beautiful piano black for a dedicated turntable set up.

Just the turntable, phone preamp and the speakers (and i had to add a volume control). So the entire chain is analog from start to finish.

The Elacs with the built in AB hybrid amps all analog sound really nice. Missing lower bass extension but the hi and mids are sweet sounding to my ears. I listen for hours without fatigue. I'm looking around for something powered that's bigger but would keep these (started a thread on that).

I hope Andrew builds the same design but with say 8" woofers in a larger enclosure for better extension. Then he has me as a customer and advocate for life.

P.S. Their customer service is terrible. They don't answer the phone, they don't return voicemails timely (last left one 2 days ago) and they don't answer emails for days. So I posted on Facebook social media like where are you guys and then they answered me pretty fast -- leave it to the fear of social media reaction.

Again, given my Uni-Fi towers, multiple 5.25" woofers and that size cabinet is plenty capable of delivering satisfying bass down to 40Hz or so (which should be plenty low for analog records). Even with an 8" driver you're not going to get too much below that.

I posted in the other thread again, but perhaps you should consider a better preamp...one that has tone controls on it.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I recently purchased the ARF51 in beautiful piano black for a dedicated turntable set up.

Just the turntable, phone preamp and the speakers (and i had to add a volume control). So the entire chain is analog from start to finish.

The Elacs with the built in AB hybrid amps all analog sound really nice. Missing lower bass extension but the hi and mids are sweet sounding to my ears. I listen for hours without fatigue. I'm looking around for something powered that's bigger but would keep these (started a thread on that).

I hope Andrew builds the same design but with say 8" woofers in a larger enclosure for better extension. Then he has me as a customer and advocate for life.

P.S. Their customer service is terrible. They don't answer the phone, they don't return voicemails timely (last left one 2 days ago) and they don't answer emails for days. So I posted on Facebook social media like where are you guys and then they answered me pretty fast -- leave it to the fear of social media reaction.

Again, given my Uni-Fi towers, multiple 5.25" woofers and that size cabinet is plenty capable of delivering satisfying bass down to 40Hz or so (which should be plenty low for analog records). Even with an 8" driver you're not going to get too much below that.

I posted in the other thread again, but perhaps you should consider a better preamp...one that has tone controls on it.
The speakers have controls on them. Bass is set to highest level. Positioned closer to wall. At some point, the physical properties - of the woofers, the size of box, ability to move air, take over and limit the low end. I'm going to measure but I'd guess these roll off at above 50. I've listened to records, some metal, some hiphop some classical where the bass goes right through you so not sure I follow your point about vinyl.

Anyway that MAC preamp is sweet. I'll check it out if I can demo it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Remember, Jones made those for a more "audiophile" type of group, so the tone adjustments given isn't going to allow you to tweak much. For one reason or another, manufacturers think that said group doesn't like or want tone controls and everyone enjoys a more "source direct" type of sound.

Still, will 5.25" woofers shake your insides like a 12" will? No. But will (can) they provide good bass output down to 40Hz? Yes. My Uni-Fi's towers certainly do.

Also, not sure what cartridge you are running but you many want to look for one that prioritizes the sound that you like.

Seeing if you could demo a good preamp is a good idea. That way you can play with things and see if it's the nature of the drivers or just the designer limiting the frequency curves.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Remember, Jones made those for a more "audiophile" type of group, so the tone adjustments given isn't going to allow you to tweak much. For one reason or another, manufacturers think that said group doesn't like or want tone controls and everyone enjoys a more "source direct" type of sound.

Still, will 5.25" woofers shake your insides like a 12" will? No. But will (can) they provide good bass output down to 40Hz? Yes. My Uni-Fi's towers certainly do.

Also, not sure what cartridge you are running but you many want to look for one that prioritizes the sound that you like.

Seeing if you could demo a good preamp is a good idea. That way you can play with things and see if it's the nature of the drivers or just the designer limiting the frequency curves.
Agree!

·
Registered
71 Posts
The UFs are known to be hard to drive, so I would go with the SR7012 over the SR6012, because the SR7012 has a bigger/beefier power supply and more powerful amp section.
I just bought a SR7012 Open Box from World Wide Stereo (Authorized Dealer). Wish me luck, I hope everything works perfectly and I like the receiver, as I spent more than I originally wanted to for a receiver (though I believe it was still a good deal)
Yup, second unfortunate purchase, that I will need to return. This one will not connect to my internet network. It also will not let me reset the network settings back to default.

As this is under warranty, I asked if they will provide me a paid shipping label to ship it to Marantz to get it fixed, instead of a paid return label back to them for a refund.

This specific one also already has 4,187 hours of usage and has been powered on 231 times

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yup, second unfortunate purchase, that I will need to return. This one will not connect to my internet network. It also will not let me reset the network settings back to default.

As this is under warranty, I asked if they will provide me a paid shipping label to ship it to Marantz to get it fixed, instead of a paid return label back to them for a refund.

This specific one also already has 4,187 hours of usage and has been powered on 231 times
"open box" with that much usage? Sounds like a demo model. In which case, it should have been advertised as such.

I'd just send it back and get another one (or get my money back).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi all

Currently demo'ing a DDP-2 and wanted to confirm that all is ok. I have my Roon core connecting to it and I'm getting 44/48khz sampling lock in on MQA tracks. The manual says that lower left of the display should show MQA if it's reading the stream. I have not seen it with any MQA content. Will the unit show MQA if it's sent it?

I'd call dealer but they're off for the holiday weekend.

Thanks

·
Registered
817 Posts
Got the Open box B6.2 and boy are they huge!!!! I was going to get the 5s but the price was too good to pass up, plus they say the new gen is a bit bass shy. Now I'm just waiting for my Yamaha Integrated to get here. :smile:

Reactions: freedomgli

·
Registered
71 Posts
Should I set my Denon X4500h to 4ohm, 6ohm, or 8ohm with my Elac Uni-fi UF5 as my front speakers and matching center speaker?

I know the Elac Uni-fi are 4ohm speakers. But, I read that setting the receiver to 4ohm reduces power from the receiver and then feeds less power to the speakers, so it would be less dynamic.

As the speakers are 4ohm, would their be negative effects to not using my Denon receiver at 4ohm setting? if not, what should I set my receiver at?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Should I set my Denon X4500h to 4ohm, 6ohm, or 8ohm with my Elac Uni-fi UF5 as my front speakers and matching center speaker?

I know the Elac Uni-fi are 4ohm speakers. But, I read that setting the receiver to 4ohm reduces power from the receiver and then feeds less power to the speakers, so it would be less dynamic.

As the speakers are 4ohm, would their be negative effects to not using my Denon receiver at 4ohm setting? if not, what should I set my receiver at?
Always leave the receiver set to 8ohm. Other settings limit power delivery and are there merely to reduce manufacturers liability.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts

Always leave the receiver set to 8ohm. Other settings limit power delivery and are there merely to reduce manufacturers liability.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
Manufacturer liability of what though? What is the potential concern?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

I'm new here, probably you guys can already tell.

Need a few pointers on building my entry level Elac speakers.

I just got myself a new pair of Elac Debut 2.0 F5.2.
I paired it with SVS PB-1000 sub currently.

The pointers I needed, for centre speaker that I'm getting is this.

There's a sale going on and the C6.2 is only a tad more than the C5.2. Should I get 6.2 for my centre or stick with 5.2 so that it matches with my F5.2.

I try searching the difference between 5.2 and 6.2 but can't find anything that makes sense for me.

Thanking you folks in advance and cheers!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Elac DCR52

Have been using Elac B5.2/C5.2 for front LCR in 5.1.2 system for about 2 yrs. Music is great (or better) but HT dialog is just "ok" to my old ears and damaged hearing (tinnitus). Have done most of the obvious things - room treatments, EQ, positioning, etc, etc - with only small incremental improvements. Evaluating new L/C/R speakers (Revel, JBL, Elac, SVS, Asend) and can obviously spend a lot of money on uncertain results. With the upgrades, the new Elac Debut Reference line is receiving good press, would the DCR52 be a center channel swap that I should consider while still using the B5.2's for L/R ? Opinions of benefits (if any) that would be realized ?

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you were to go way past reference level you could conceivably clip the receiver or damage a speaker driver. Emphasis on conceivably. Seriously just leave the receiver set to the default which is 8ohm. If you need another opinion just search the forum threads or Google the question. It's almost universally agreed on.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ordered a set of Debut Reference bookshelf speaker which will be the first time I’ll have had passive speakers. Hope they are decent on a computer desk as I don’t have a ton of room currently. Ideally down the road I’ll be able to have a more dedicated room with space to move them off the desk. Will be powering them from a Yamaha WXA-50.

·
Registered
224 Posts

The liability of a big impedence mismatch and loud volume playback causing damage to the amplifier, which is presumably under warranty for some period. They don’t care if you destroy your speakers.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Ordered a set of Debut Reference bookshelf speaker which will be the first time I’ll have had passive speakers. Hope they are decent on a computer desk as I don’t have a ton of room currently. Ideally down the road I’ll be able to have a more dedicated room with space to move them off the desk. Will be powering them from a Yamaha WXA-50.
How big is your desk? Those aren't small speakers.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I don't think the dbr's were meant as desktop speakers, i would think , like you seem to that they are too big... Wouldn't it be interesting if they got popular as desktop speakers because of the dynamics despite their size

·
Registered
11 Posts
The desk is 63” wide. I think they are probably too big, some of the sound is muffled on songs at times. I had the about 10 inches from the wall and I thought it was really poor. Moving them about 2 feet away didn’t do much change. then I played around with eq a bit which has helped. I also hooked back up my Vanatoo T0 and did some comparisons and it was better performing then I thought, the Vanatoo seems to handle the sub crossover better then my amp. I don’t think I have great placement on a desk overall. Yamaha’s wxa-50 amp is powering and a Martin Logan dynamo 1000 sub with the amp handling the crossover. I’d like to get them on stands like isoacoustics aperta to get them off the desk directly and more in line with my ears, ELac sent me the wrong color so I do have an opportunity to return them now if I’m going to.

2801 - 2820 of 2826 Posts