AVS Forum banner

3041 - 3060 of 3088 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Nothing that some polyfill in the speaker would not take care of. I got +6db boost with polyfill and had to reduce the amount of polyfill to keep it a bit more balanced.

No idea if that trick works with the F5.2's and frankly I'm not buying another set because they disappointed in other areas as well (in terms of sound and looks).

You should message some of the reviewers that have the F6.2 and tell them about the polyfill experiment. I'd like to see some comparison graphs between the before/after.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I had the ub5 #2's and think I understand what he is getting at with this bass issue. I felt like they just was not very powerful, and was happier with its predecessor. I am sure Andrew Jones knows what he is doing when it comes to his designs, and to think that i could even attempt to improve anything he's done does not make sense to me. I'll leave these things to the masters.......
It seems to me that AJ has been designing speakers as of late based on "feedback" (or Elac is giving him this direction as all of his previous designs were voiced completely different). Also, they have gotten noticeably cheaper in terms of "build" compared to their predecessors. The Uni-Fi's being no exception as the quality of the vinyl is different as are things like the binding posts, feet (for the towers), etc.

I love the original Debuts and Uni-Fi's and even some of the Pioneers. Ever since the Debut 2.0 I just haven't gotten into the different way he is voicing and designing speakers. One caveat is that I have not owned/heard his higher-end offerings, so something like the Carina may still have that classic AJ sound.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Then don’t.
It is not ripping apart, but seems like you are a man of money, and not simple handyman skills.

All you need to do is remove 4 screws in the front holding in the speaker, and stuff the space with polyfill, and put the driver back.
No disrespect. If I attempted to do what you proposed....I would surely make a mess of it.

Reactions: chikoo

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
No idea if that trick works with the F5.2's and frankly I'm not buying another set because they disappointed in other areas as well (in terms of sound and looks).
If so, not much one can do but try another.

You should message some of the reviewers that have the F6.2 and tell them about the polyfill experiment. I'd like to see some comparison graphs between the before/after.
Haha.... Nobody is and would be interested. The reviewers are not into tweaked speakers. Especially not a 2 year old design.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
It seems to me that AJ has been designing speakers as of late based on "feedback" (or Elac is giving him this direction as all of his previous designs were voiced completely different). Also, they have gotten noticeably cheaper in terms of "build" compared to their predecessors. The Uni-Fi's being no exception as the quality of the vinyl is different as are things like the binding posts, feet (for the towers), etc.

I love the original Debuts and Uni-Fi's and even some of the Pioneers. Ever since the Debut 2.0 I just haven't gotten into the different way he is voicing and designing speakers. One caveat is that I have not owned/heard his higher-end offerings, so something like the Carina may still have that classic AJ sound.
You are right. Not sure if it his own learning, nudge/push from Elac or some stupid focus group feedback but the debut 2.0 are just as much related to the original debut as the original Indian from India is related to the Native American Indian from USA.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

I don’t have the before and after as I did this on just a hunch in the middle of the night... but I ran Audyssey EQ and here is the result for the Left & Right. As you can see the100hz and lower is almost +10db.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
and what bugs me is how AJ has changed the internal cabinet for pretty much the same driver when it came to designing the Debut Reference. Yes, I know the basket is cast in the reference series.

In the Debut 2.0, the first woofer has a brace/wall right behind it. Not so in the Reference series. Why? What does the wall do? Does it restrict the actual performance?

See attached pictures. The DBRF5 pictures are courtesy of New Record Day #nrdreviews

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Haha.... Nobody is and would be interested. The reviewers are not into tweaked speakers. Especially not a 2 year old design.
You might be surprised. The main comment about the F6.2's was their lack of bass. If you discovered a $5 way to fix that, people would buy that speaker in droves.

Heck, I might actually consider them if the bass output is that impressive after a few handfuls of polyfill.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
You might be surprised. The main comment about the F6.2's was their lack of bass. If you discovered a $5 way to fix that, people would buy that speaker in droves.

Heck, I might actually consider them if the bass output is that impressive after a few handfuls of polyfill.
I adjusted the speaker position and re-ran Audyssey EQ. The results are even better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys - Sorry for the noob question, but I'm just discovering the wonderful world of speaker impedance. I'm running 2x UF5 in front and a UC5 center through a Sony STRDN1080 (rated for 6 ohms). Since moving to a new place with a smaller living room, center channel sound is increasingly muddled at higher volumes - although I guess "higher volumes" is relative, since I never really push it. I've been looking at swapping out the AVR, though it seems finding one that's truly rated for 4 ohms is increasingly rare.

Thoughts on good next steps here?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hey guys - Sorry for the noob question, but I'm just discovering the wonderful world of speaker impedance. I'm running 2x UF5 in front and a UC5 center through a Sony STRDN1080 (rated for 6 ohms). Since moving to a new place with a smaller living room, center channel sound is increasingly muddled at higher volumes - although I guess "higher volumes" is relative, since I never really push it. I've been looking at swapping out the AVR, though it seems finding one that's truly rated for 4 ohms is increasingly rare.

I like my UF5's there a good speaker....

·
Registered
122 Posts

There are plenty, you just have to look at higher end AVRs. Yamaha Aventage, Pioneer Elite, Denon X series, for example.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Most receivers rated at 4 ohms that drive the Uni-Fi adequately are very expensive. If you invest in high quality amps first then all you ever need to upgrade is the processor. XTZ Edge A2-300 is a Class D amplifier rated at 2 x 300 watts into 4 ohms that is $500 shipped. Outlaw audio has the 5000x Class A amplifier and is rated at 5 x 180watts into 4ohms for $749 + $65 s&h. Several award winning amps like Nad Electronics are Class D and at $500 each XTZ is what I am using for all my channels. I have 5 of them. The Outlaw 5000x weighs a lot and can be to heavy for most cheap shelving units. Both are fantastic units that breath new life into your speakers and will integrate with your Sony. I have used both with the Uni-Fi.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Most receivers rated at 4 ohms that drive the Uni-Fi adequately are very expensive. If you invest in high quality amps first then all you ever need to upgrade is the processor. XTZ Edge A2-300 is a Class D amplifier rated at 2 x 300 watts into 4 ohms that is $500 shipped. Outlaw audio has the 5000x Class A amplifier and is rated at 5 x 180watts into 4ohms for $749 + $65 s&h. Several award winning amps like Nad Electronics are Class D and at $500 each XTZ is what I am using for all my channels. I have 5 of them. The Outlaw 5000x weighs a lot and can be to heavy for most cheap shelving units. Both are fantastic units that breath new life into your speakers and will integrate with your Sony. I have used both with the Uni-Fi.
I just got the XTZ Edge A2-300, am running the UF5's, and use my Pioneer as a preamp. I also bought a pair of used Audioquest Water RCA's, and A Vodka toslink for my Bluesound. I am pretty happy with the results. Say what you want, i could defiantly notice an improvement since I upgraded my cables this year. Some are used, some are new, I pretty much upgraded all of them, but yeah I like what i hear. It's a totally budget system, that can be very revealing at times. I kind of figured out I like the "class D", "digital" sound. The way I thought about all the upgrades this year was , I'm high risk, live alone, am isolating, and wanted to do what made me happy. Aside from the UB5#2's I tried most of my upgrades were keepers.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

So here I am back and finding that nobody seems to have taken in this “tweak”. Anyways, I thought I would post an update.

I removed the additional polyfill from the top chamber and filled up the bottom chamber completely. I did not pack it tightly. I put it in just the same way as it comes in the Polyfill Bag - all fluffy.
I also then plugged one of the two ports on the bottom to balance it out.

The improvements are just mind numbing. Removing the polyfill from the top chamber brought it back to the clean tight upper/mid bass reproduction. The lower polyfill addition now makes it perform like a 8” woofer (musical subwoofer, I daresay). Big Thump. Listen to Peggy Lee “Fever” for example, followed by Diamonds (Rihanna), Love the way you lie (eminem), OMD - The Punishment of Luxury”.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Technically, all polyfill should do in a ported enclosure is:

• lower the port tuning
  • absorb any midrange stuff that might be bouncing around inside

So maybe you're seeing a lower port tuning which that speaker seems to like. Perhaps Elac (AJ) tuned it not to have a good amount of bass because it would be different than the bookshelves which don't have a whole lot themselves.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Technically, all polyfill should do in a ported enclosure is:

• lower the port tuning
  • absorb any midrange stuff that might be bouncing around inside

So maybe you're seeing a lower port tuning which that speaker seems to like. Perhaps Elac (AJ) tuned it not to have a good amount of bass because it would be different than the bookshelves which don't have a whole lot themselves.
True. A larger volume lowers the tuning of the same port. There is no point in providing additional 2 6.5” woofers crossed down at 90hz if they sound the same as a single 6.5” woofer on the B6.2.

Anyways, I am having a BLAST with the thumping dual woofers. The extension in some songs can get too much, and I actually have to attenuate the 63hz channel by -3db on the EQ.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
True. A larger volume lowers the tuning of the same port. There is no point in providing additional 2 6.5” woofers crossed down at 90hz if they sound the same as a single 6.5” woofer on the B6.2.

Anyways, I am having a BLAST with the thumping dual woofers. The extension in some songs can get too much, and I actually have to attenuate the 63hz channel by -3db on the EQ.
That was always my problem with the Debut floorstanders...the bass response wasn't that much better than the bookshelf models. Even the original Debut's were the same way as I was scratching my head why my B5's hit just as low and as hard as my F5's. The only difference being the multiple woofers "energized" the room slightly more. The 2.0s got worse in that aspect.

I'm really kind of tempted to pick some up locally at best buy next time there is a sale ($321/piece is still not cheap enough IMO). Then if the polyfill trick does not work, back they go.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
That was always my problem with the Debut floorstanders...the bass response wasn't that much better than the bookshelf models. Even the original Debut's were the same way as I was scratching my head why my B5's hit just as low and as hard as my F5's. The only difference being the multiple woofers "energized" the room slightly more. The 2.0s got worse in that aspect.

I'm really kind of tempted to pick some up locally at best buy next time there is a sale ($321/piece is still not cheap enough IMO). Then if the polyfill trick does not work, back they go.
I would be pretty upset if I had paid $350/each and the additional 2 woofers not really bringing any more thump to the party. Luckily I only paid $399/pair.

3041 - 3060 of 3088 Posts