AVS Forum banner

3081 - 3088 of 3088 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Because it's not always about "measurements" or transparency. Same reason why people spend tens of thousands on tubes.

And how many bookshelf speakers being made today can properly run without a sub? How many need a sub? (hint: the vast majority need one). It was pretty cool that less than $300 got you a speaker that'd fill the room with bass with a decent amp hooked to them.

I will say again though...the B5 is a better sounding speaker than the B6. Better midrange, cleaner bass, etc. It does not have the "muddiness" of the B6.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Interesting points on the flawed 5 versus 5 2.0. I thought the originals at the price sounded great in the twenty minutes I had in a small crowded hotel room. Apologies if my ears had a bad day. I didn't see the 2.0s around to compare in 2015. And although good for the money, I sure do not feel they're the end all of speakers. My audio speakers are different but I do enjoy the Debut 2.0s in the TV room plenty enough. The B5 2.0 and the little Storm III would be nice just in stereo if on a limited budget and in a small space.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
ASR tests a single Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52, runs into an issue and gives it a headless panther. From there on, 15 pages of wild speculation ensue. Finally Andrew Jones steps in. 🍿

·
Registered
97 Posts
ASR tests a single Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52, runs into an issue and gives it a headless panther. From there on, 15 pages of wild speculation ensue. Finally Andrew Jones steps in. 🍿

Yeah, that's been interesting to follow. I don't understand why Amir won't do any investigating to see what is causing the issue. At least some basic troubleshooting. Pop out the speaker terminals see if anything is loose inside the cabinet etc.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Oh, he did, did he now. I'll go check it out.
There's a fair amount of bloodhounds there who were spiraling with joy.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
That UB5.2 review was an absolute train wreck. Why he posted that half @ss review is beyond me. It gives ammo to the naysayers and discredits what he (says he is) trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Even JoeNTell was in the comments trying to help and Amir was just being an ******* like he always is. I don’t know why people give ASR a whole lot of credibility, and this further reinforces my negative view of them. When you have something you know is at best a non-representative unit (through damage, bad QA, whatever) you don’t publish. You partner with the OEM for comment and to investigate. It’s flatly unprofessional to publish that... whatever it was. Certainly not a review. Comes across more as a hit piece than anything based in science.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If anything came out of that thread it was my impression of JoeNTell being honest and helpful. I thought he had fallen into the "reviewer" mode of loving every speaker that OEM's sent to him, but clearly he's not afraid to tell it like he feels, which I applaud.

And yeah, "science" based reviews that completely discard the scientific method is an absolute joke.

3081 - 3088 of 3088 Posts