AVS Forum banner

401 - 420 of 2826 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Your emotiva will have no problem with the Elacs. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Just got the text(s) from Amazon, they are at my front door, is new speakers a good speeding excuse?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
They are here and so far so good!

Listened to live Who at high volumes.

Before anyone asks, the chair is a mess, it is the dog's.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Enjoy, let us know how the sound & crank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
It's been a few days. I have watched several movies and listened to alot of music, they sound great!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
It is a living room, not a theater.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Understood, but you'd be amazed at what a nice thick area rug can do to absorb early reflections. Just sayin'.

Sent from my LG-v410 using Tapatalk

I don't have reflection issues. What I do have are two large dogs, two kids, a pool out the door to the left of the TV in a backyard that has lots of traffic which is why we have tile floors. (In summer an army of dripping people coming & going would not be ideal with anything but tile)

A rug=a mess.

The room is a compromise. Someday I'll have a theater. Today I have the best of a number of compromises.

Reactions: Samac

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's my B6 sitting on isolation foam pads and driven by the budget Nad C320BEE. I removed the tweeter grills ;D

Wonder if the Emotiva mini-X a-100 would sound better than the Nad?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Here's my B6 sitting on isolation foam pads and driven by the budget Nad C320BEE. I removed the tweeter grills ;D

Wonder if the Emotiva mini-X a-100 would sound better than the Nad?

What did removing the grill do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
What did removing the grill do?
Simply put, removing the tweeter grills let the highs shine in my set up. With the grills on, the treble was a tad too laidback for me. Or perhaps the NAD isn't resolving enough in the high frequencies.

But one thing I really like about the B6 is that it never ever sounds fatiguing, even with tweeter grills off.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Simply put, removing the tweeter grills let the highs shine in my set up. With the grills on, the treble was a tad too laidback for me. Or perhaps the NAD isn't resolving enough in the high frequencies.

But one thing I really like about the B6 is that it never ever sounds fatiguing, even with tweeter grills off.
You apparently don't have a 2.5 year old in your household who likes to touch stuff. Tweeter grills are a must in my home. :)

Reactions: christoofar

·
Registered
122 Posts
I recently started researching bookshelf speakers and came across all the rave reviews for the Elac Debut speakers. I've ordered the B5 and B6 to see which one works better in my living room.

I put away my floorstanding Klipsch speakers because of my toddlers.

I have an old set of energy take-5 set. I don't have a good feel for what mixing lesser speakers with nicer speakers does. I don't have a good feel if it is additive or would be like mixing good wine with cheap wine?

1) Would it be better to just use the ELAC in a 2.0 configuration, or should I include the old Take-5 powered subwoofer in the mix? What would be an appropriate crossover frequency?

2) Similar question. Should I include the old Take-5 center speaker in the mix? Or just remove it.

3) I'm considering buying the C5 center as well. Since I will be trying out the B5 and B6's at the same time, would using one of them as a center speaker give me a good approximation of what adding a C5 would be like?

4) How much of a benefit would I experience if I replaced the Take-5 subwoofer with one of the ELAC subwoofers?

Thanks so much in advance

·
Registered
789 Posts
1) Would it be better to just use the ELAC in a 2.0 configuration, or should I include the old Take-5 powered subwoofer in the mix? What would be an appropriate crossover frequency?

2) Similar question. Should I include the old Take-5 center speaker in the mix? Or just remove it.

3) I'm considering buying the C5 center as well. Since I will be trying out the B5 and B6's at the same time, would using one of them as a center speaker give me a good approximation of what adding a C5 would be like?

4) How much of a benefit would I experience if I replaced the Take-5 subwoofer with one of the ELAC subwoofers?

Thanks so much in advance
1. I would keep the sub. Use 80hz crossover.

2. Again, I think keep it unless they really clash. Try with and without.

3. I don't think so the C5 is quite different from the other two.

4. Not sure, but I know you can get a lot better subs from an ID company for less money. ELAC's S12EQ is a 12" with 500W RMS for $700. There are plenty other options out there.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #420 (Edited)
Another review by a German language print magazine:

Elac Debut Linie 5.1-Set (F5 / B6 / C5 / S12EQ)
audiovision magazine January 2016

„Plus: sehr musikalisches, mitreißendes Klangbild; Raumabbildung sehr griffig und dreidimensional; tiefer und sauberer Bass.
Minus: geringer Wirkungsgrad der Frontboxen.“

Positive: Very musical , rousing sound ; three dimensional and effective imaging; deep and clean bass
Negative: low sensitivity of the front speakers

More on testberichte.de in German.

401 - 420 of 2826 Posts