AVS Forum banner

1661 - 1680 of 2826 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Is a fair consensus that people have reached is that the B5/B6 are dark sounding speakers? Are they on the extreme side of laid back?

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Is a fair consensus that people have reached is that the B5/B6 are dark sounding speakers? Are they on the extreme side of laid back?

No. don't think so. It's just that the tweeter is slightly rougher sounding than the UB5. Other than that it's a fairly neutral speaker that might just be a shade warm. I quite like it at low levels. Turned up, not so much.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
No. don't think so. It's just that the tweeter is slightly rougher sounding than the UB5. Other than that it's a fairly neutral speaker that might just be a shade warm. I quite like it at low levels. Turned up, not so much.
You don't like it turned up? What hapoens then? The B5 would be used exclusively for fronts in my home theater using a sub. Would these work well in that application?

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
You don't like it turned up? What hapoens then? The B5 would be used exclusively for fronts in my home theater using a sub. Would these work well in that application?

I've never heard a HT system that I don't abhor when used for music and I haven't watched a movie in over 20 years so I don't have much of an opinion when it come to that use.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ordered:

2X ELAC UNI-FI FS U5 SLIM

ELAC UNI-FI CC U5 SLIM

2X ELAC WS 1445

With an Anthem mrx 720 receiver.

Anyone have a similar system?
I can not find any review of the ws 1445, anyone know if the sound quality is any good?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I ordered:

ELAC UNI-FI CC U5 SLIM

2X ELAC WS 1445

I can not find any review of the ws 1445, anyone know if the sound quality is any good?
Congrats, that should be a nice setup. The WS 1445 are from Elac's German line, they're not part of the Andrew Jones designed Elac America line and aren't readily available here from what I've seen. Elac does have a line of in-walls based on the Andrew Jones designs coming out sometime soon, but I'm not sure they're doing on-wall versions of those.

Reactions: zap123

·
Registered
311 Posts
I ordered:

ELAC UNI-FI CC U5 SLIM

2X ELAC WS 1445

Please post pictures of the UF5 and UC5 Slim to compare! I've never been able to find pictures of them. I want to see what I'm missing out on (I have the UF5).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
After giving the B6s a week of generous listening time and still being turned off by the subdued high-end thanks to either crossover design or the fact that the tweeter appears to be buried half a mile deep, my UB5s just arrived. If you don't like the B5/B6 because of how dark they are, but hear potential buried in the whole (no pun) somewhere, it's worth giving the UB5s a shot. It's going to take me a lot of adjustment to totally accept anything new, but after 90 minutes I am already quite happy with these. Given a week I think I'll be ready to commit to another pair and some UF5s.

For what it's worth, the additional power draw of these speakers at same SPL is minimal compared to the B6s. My Pio VSX-1120-K is having no problem driving them. They get quite harsh at higher volumes than I actually listen at, but such is the nature of small drivers I suppose--seems to be speaker distortion and not amp distortion, something some reviews of these speakers back up. The larger speaker array of the UF5 should provide an additional 3-4db of clean reproduction.

Edit: I just want to add that these EQ settings are absolutely phenomenal. No AVR is going to have a built-in parametric EQ half as flexible as Equalizer APO or a good rackmount unit, but I was able to get close enough on my AVR's to do a decent impression for when my setup isn't in HTPC mode. Toggling the EQ on and off, the mids are quite harsh without it. I'm thoroughly spoiled and there's no going back.

I cannot wait to hear the UF5s when I get them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Any ELAC in-ceiling news?

Has anyone come across any new info about the new IC-DT61-W in-ceiling speakers that were supposed to be out around now? All I can find is one post from back in September. No other press releases, noting on any forums, just nothing. I'm not even sure if that's actually a part number anymore as Chris mentions two different in-ceiling speakers. I'm trying to design a 7.1.4 system for the new home, and it looks like the WAF will mean 8 in-ceilings.

We are targeting $399 a pair for the B6 in-wall speakers,$399 a pair for the in-ceiling B6 distributed audio/atmos speakers, $499 a pair for the B6 Angled Home Theater in-ceiling speakers and $999 for the in-wall sub with Amplifier.

Target available date is Jan/Feb.

Thanks,

Chris Walker
ELAC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Two days ago, I received my UF5's (standard finish) and these speakers have surpassed all expectations. I am just amazed at the sound. I didn't think it was physically possible for woofers of this size to produce such deep, rich bass. I have not yet turned on my subs and don't think I am going to (for music, I don't do HT). I just didn't think $1K speakers could bring this level of musicality to my very large room.

In fact, I'm so impressed that I'm thinking of exchanging them for the fancy, "slim" ones. But, I don't want the sound to change AT ALL. I know ELAC's literature says they sound identical and the cabinet dimensions are very close, but...can anyone attest that they do, in fact, sound indistinguishable?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Two days ago, I received my UF5's (standard finish) and these speakers have surpassed all expectations. I am just amazed at the sound. I didn't think it was physically possible for woofers of this size to produce such deep, rich bass. I have not yet turned on my subs and don't think I am going to (for music, I don't do HT). I just didn't think $1K speakers could bring this level of musicality to my very large room.

In fact, I'm so impressed that I'm thinking of exchanging them for the fancy, "slim" ones. But, I don't want the sound to change AT ALL. I know ELAC's literature says they sound identical and the cabinet dimensions are very close, but...can anyone attest that they do, in fact, sound indistinguishable?
I was really impressed by them too! They're also very very loud. I can't comment on the Slims ;( I've never even seen a pic of them.

When you listen to them without your Subwoofer. Do you set them to Large on your Receiver settings?

I've been thinking about doing this for my UF5 but I use my Oppo 203 blu ray player to listen to music so it would be annoying to have to change the settings over and over again (large+sub off)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was really impressed by them too! They're also very very loud. I can't comment on the Slims ;( I've never even seen a pic of them.

When you listen to them without your Subwoofer. Do you set them to Large on your Receiver settings?

I've been thinking about doing this for my UF5 but I use my Oppo 203 blu ray player to listen to music so it would be annoying to have to change the settings over and over again (large+sub off)
I am two-channel only so do not have surround settings on my amp. There are pics to be found with a google search and on ELACs site, of course. I tried to post a link for you but the software won't allow that until I have a post count >=5. :-(

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Has anyone come across any new info about the new IC-DT61-W in-ceiling speakers that were supposed to be out around now? All I can find is one post from back in September. No other press releases, noting on any forums, just nothing. I'm not even sure if that's actually a part number anymore as Chris mentions two different in-ceiling speakers. I'm trying to design a 7.1.4 system for the new home, and it looks like the WAF will mean 8 in-ceilings.
If you're going to put 8 speakers in the ceiling, don't bother trying to do immersive.

What 3 speakers are you going to have in at ear level? Can you do in-walls for surrounds?

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you're going to put 8 speakers in the ceiling, don't bother trying to do immersive.

What 3 speakers are you going to have in at ear level? Can you do in-walls for surrounds?
Ear level - UF5 or F6 for L/R and matching center (UC5 or C5). This is an open concept family room, so only one side wall. Flat, 13' ceiling. We have a very energetic boy, so floor stands are a no go. I know that it's not optimal, but I really do wonder if it's better than nothing? The official install guidelines state:
To get the best Dolby Atmos experience, there must be separation between the listener-level speakers and overhead speakers. Installing all of the speakers in the ceiling will not give the optimal experience and is not recommended.
So it's not "best" or "optimal" bout does it actually "work"? If the new ICs are more directional in their sound (à la some of the PSBs), would I not still get a bit of separation if the surrounds were those and the Atmos just wide dispersion (IC 1010s or similar)?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I don't think you will get the immersive feeling since you won't have anything low in the side/back. I have a 5.4.4 setup and there is a lot of interaction between the surround and height to produce the sounds in a particular location. You won't get that if you don't have your surrounds in ceiling.

Just go 7.1.2 with heights in the front, that's about all you can really hope for without surrounds. Another option is to do 5.1.4, that might work, leaving the rears out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just go 7.1.2 with heights in the front, that's about all you can really hope for without surrounds. Another option is to do 5.1.4, that might work, leaving the rears out.
I had been thinking about a 5.1.4 for cost purposes. I remember some article suggesting that suggested 5.1.4 as opposed to a 7.1.2 as 2 speakers won't allow the Atmos to really "move" just shift back and forth. I have some time before having to exactly define this, so I hold on till the last moment to see what's out there. Hopefully ELAC will be more forthcoming with the IC-DT61-W info.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'd like to upgrade my DIY speakers later this year, ideally during a Black Friday sale (or sooner). Does the UF5 ever go on sale, or is Elac similar to Oppo, where the price is always the same?

1661 - 1680 of 2826 Posts