AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My current speakers are listed below in my signature (as is the rest of my AV set up). We have decided to move, most likely sometime in the next 6 months. After we are settled in I plan on upgrading my 5.1 speaker system (including the subwoofer) to 5.1.2 once I know what I have to work with in the room.

I've decided that I want to use 3 "MTM" style centers as my front 3 LCR and am looking for recommendations. My listening is 80% Movies/TV/Streaming 20% music. Music tends to be whole house background via my HEOS speakers and a number of PC speakers connected to ChromeCast Audios. When I am alone in the house (not often enough) I will blast my favorite choices where I can enjoy the full immersive experience. The following candidates I have identified are within a $2000 budget (assumes replacement of surrounds):

LCR:
Elac UC5 2.0
RSL CG25
Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE Mini-tower CMT-340 SE Center
HSU HC-1 MK2
Subwoofers under consideration:
HSU VTF-2 MK5
Rythmik LV12
RSL Speedwoofer 10 (rumor is that a 12 inch is coming...I'd go with that)

I have not yet decided to what extent I might repurpose my current speakers either to surround or Atmos duty. I am leaning towards replacing the surrounds to match the brand of the chosen LCR and moving either the current satellites or surrounds to Atmos. I'm not sure what I would do if I went Elac...all their options (debut or UniFi) seem just too big. If I go RSL I'd likely choose 2 CG3s, if Ascend the HTM-200 SE's and if HSU the HB-1 MK2's. I prefer the front ported options (RSL and Elac) and I like that the Elac is a 3 way speaker...my AVR @ 95 watts should be able to drive them OK, especially since I do not listen at anywhere near reference levels. Per the HSU web site the tweeter on the HC-1 MK2 can be rotated 90 degrees for vertical orientation but I am leery of horn tweeters in general (no experience with them).

So what do you think? I know that the room is going to dictate some of the requirements but that's going to be an unknown for a while. It could be a dedicated closed off space (preferred) or it could be a shared space in an open room. Either way I'm still going to be budget limited to what I've described above.

Towers are off the table. If you recommend another sub please keep it price comparable to the above and don't bother recommending a 2nd sub unless it fits within the overall price profile. The only flexibility I have to spend more than the cost of what I described above is if I limit the purchase to LCR and sub moving my current satellites to surrounds and the surrounds to Atmos and foregoing an upgrade of the surrounds altogether. $2000 is a hard limit and even that is going to take a good deal of convincing for WAF.

·
Registered
22,461 Posts
Towers are off the table. If you recommend another sub please keep it price comparable to the above and don't bother recommending a 2nd sub unless it fits within the overall price profile. The only flexibility I have to spend more than the cost of what I described above is if I limit the purchase to LCR and sub moving my current satellites to surrounds and the surrounds to Atmos and foregoing an upgrade of the surrounds altogether. $2000 is a hard limit and even that is going to take a good deal of convincing for WAF.
I'd repurpose you current speakers for surrounds and knock the 5.25" Elacs off the list (actual owners say they need big power to sound their best) and he overly expensive RSL 5.25" speakers as well and concentrate on a package system from HSU or Ascend/Rhythmik, both offering 6.5" main drivers in the speakers and well regarded.

If you do NOT listen to a lot of massive boom boom action movies two RSL Speedwoofers would be perfect for you, otherwise get a single ported sub from which vendor you go with.

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
When I am alone in the house (not often enough) I will blast my favorite choices where I can enjoy the full immersive experience.
Then you'll want something with sensitivity in the 90-92db range which points towards the Ascends. The Hsu speakers' sensitivity numbers on their website are given at HALF space, so the HC-1 is probably closer to 87-88db in full space not 92db.

The Klipsch RP-500C or 600C would be usable as vertical mains and will have similar 90-92db sensitivity as the Ascends (their published sensitivity numbers are quite inflated) plus much higher WAF if that is a consideration, but they are pricier. You do have the option of subsidized flat rate returns from Crutchfield though, or local returns at Best Buy.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the feedback.

If you do NOT listen to a lot of massive boom boom action movies two RSL Speedwoofers would be perfect for you, otherwise get a single ported sub from which vendor you go with.
My wife would describe my movie preference as "explosive." Space (in the room), budget and WAF will dictate if I can finagle a 15" sub, but 12" is the smallest I am likely to go.
Then you'll want something with sensitivity in the 90-92db range which points towards the Ascends. The Hsu speakers' sensitivity numbers on their website are given at HALF space, so the HC-1 is probably closer to 87-88db in full space not 92db.

The Klipsch RP-500C or 600C would be usable as vertical mains and will have similar 90-92db sensitivity as the Ascends (their published sensitivity numbers are quite inflated) plus much higher WAF if that is a consideration, but they are pricier.
The HSU horn tweeter is supposed to be rotated on the HC-1 MK2 if it is positioned vertically...does that similarly apply to the Klipsch(s)?

If anyone is interested, I posted my personal speaker test playlists here.

·
Registered
22,461 Posts
The HSU horn tweeter is supposed to be rotated on the HC-1 MK2 if it is positioned vertically...does that similarly apply to the Klipsch(s)?
Unlike the HSU, Klipsch in its manuals and marketing touts its Tractrix horn as 80x80 degree dispersion so no need on a Klipsch to touch the tweeter when using their centers vertically.

They should market their centers as LRC speakers.

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
They should market their centers as LRC speakers.
That would hurt sales of their towers, which I'm sure give them a much fatter profit margin per unit. This is why most companies that sell MTM speakers as LRC options usually don't offer any tower options: Hsu, RSL, or Ascend (aside from the Sierra Towers but their Sierra line is in a whole other price level). Chane is the only exception to that rule I can think of. Emotiva would probably roll out an MTM LRC speaker if it didn't have the lower priced T0 and T1+ whose sales would probably be hurt by it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
IMHO I would order three Ascend 340 SE and order three Chane A2.4 and keep whatever sounds best.

HSU VTF-2MK5 for the Sub.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
IMHO I would order three Ascend 340 SE and order three Chane A2.4 and keep whatever sounds best.

HSU VTF-2MK5 for the Sub.
could be worth it , to know which is better. Or use one for another room or surround duty .

I’d expect significantl return costs $75+ or whatever shipping is.. which type of tweeter is better for both uses ??
They both look impressive can’t go wrong

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Of those sub choices, HSU VTF2 will be the best bang for the buck. The Q setting allows you to adjust taste for music or HT. Don't let anyone claim the HSU VTF2 isn't a "musical" sub.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've been VERY happy with my new HC-1 MK2 and matching HB-1MK2 mains along with a new HSU VTF-2 MK5 . I have heard that it was important to match the HSU center with the mains. Massive upgrade in music and movie performance over my retired Polks. Excellent sound stage easily outperforming my Mirage OMD-5s in a second listening room. Still using Polks as surrounds with the HC-1 MK2.

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Registered
10,901 Posts
One of the odd things I've noticed about the dual woofer HC-1 is that Hsu rates it with exactly the same sensitivity and bass extension as the smaller single woofer HB-1. Most other speaker companies that add a second woofer in a larger cabinet generally rate them with ~3 dB greater sensitivity over the single woofer version. Hsu specs also show the HC-1 with the same -2 dB @ 60 Hz as the HB-1 when it might be expected that the second woofer and larger cabinet would add at least a few Hz to bass extension.

All of the above makes me question whether Hsu deliberately handicapped the HC-1 by limiting sensitivity and bass extension to the same as the HB-1 or if they made an error in their published specs and the HC-1 actually outperforms the HB-1 in these areas.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 (bookshelf and towers) have a nasty resonance at around 600hz that is audible. I tried the towers and liked the sound at moderate volume, but it's too laid back for my taste and the resonance that can pop out on certain songs was the nail in the coffin, so I returned them. The Emotiva's just reviewed good at ASR. You always hear good things about RSL and Ascend. JBL stage series is really good when on sale. Lots of good budget options these days. Pick a few that you like, audition them in your room, then return the loser(s). That's the only way to really know what is going to work best for you.

·
Registered
487 Posts
One of the odd things I've noticed about the dual woofer HC-1 is that Hsu rates it with exactly the same sensitivity and bass extension as the smaller single woofer HB-1. Most other speaker companies that add a second woofer in a larger cabinet generally rate them with ~3 dB greater sensitivity over the single woofer version. Hsu specs also show the HC-1 with the same -2 dB @ 60 Hz as the HB-1 when it might be expected that the second woofer and larger cabinet would add at least a few Hz to bass extension.

All of the above makes me question whether Hsu deliberately handicapped the HC-1 by limiting sensitivity and bass extension to the same as the HB-1 or if they made an error in their published specs and the HC-1 actually outperforms the HB-1 in these areas.
Hi Dave!

Good points! That would be true if we wired them in parallel which will gain you the 3 dB, but we wired them in series which effectively doubled the impedance (12 ohms instead of 6 nominal) and that's what keeps it at the same sensitivity. If we wired them in parallel, it would have been a pretty low nominal impedance and that might cause some issues with the receiver. Extension wise... usually not by adding a second of the same mid-range woofer gains you that extension. It also heavily depends upon the tuning, which is the same for both the HB-1 and HC-1.

·
Registered
10,901 Posts
@HsuKevin, it's greatly appreciated to get a full technical explanation from someone on the inside who knows all the facts. Just to let you know, I'm still enjoying the Hsu TN1220HO I purchased new more than 20 years ago and still have not felt any need to upgrade my subwoofer. So my respect for Hsu Research runs deep. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts