AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I presently use Harman Kardon HKTS 9 Satellite speakers connected to my Yamaha RX-V685 Amplifier. I am planning to upgrade the Center & Front - Right channel speakers since there is some issue with the Dialogue clarity level:

The Issue:

"Unfortunately, I have been facing an issue with these speakers. The dialogue (vocal) sound volume level from Center Speaker has gone quite low such that I am unable to hear the dialogues clearly especially when they whisper & speak very slowly. Voice feels muffled. Before, we were able to listen to all the dialogues Crisp & Clear even at -30 volume but now the situation is such that I have to take the volume level all the way till -13 to -12 in order to hear their dialogues clearly (especially their whispering). But now the biggest issue is that the moment there is a sudden background loud sound in the scenes, "A huge explosion of sound gets created by Subwoofer" in the living room which immediately forces me to bring the volume level down back to -28 but this again brings back the issue of low dialogue volume so again increase the volume & this cycle of Up - Down - Up - Down keeps repeating. My Mom is 69yrs & she finds such a high level of background sound very irritating, disturbing & shocking."

The Service of Harman Kardon has become rubbish. They are no longer offering a premium quality support to its end customers nor are the interested to listen or atleast read the complaint/escalation email sent to the chairman of Harman/Kardon. Such Worse their service have become. Harman Kardon are also asking for unreasonable charges.

So, now below are the speakers of Elac brand that I look forward to purchase:

Debut 2.0 Floor-standing Speaker (DF62)
Debut 2.0 F6.2

And below Center Channel Speaker:

Debut 2.0 Center Channel Speaker (DC62)

What I am looking out from these above speakers are: The sound output while listening to music should be sweet. The action scenes which I see should have Punchy sound. The vocals (Dialogues delivery sound level) has to be absolutely Crisp & Clear even at lower sound volume such as -27. The sound of bullets or helicopter should be powerful as if the bullet has actually been shot inside my house or helicopter has in real passed from above my head.

This is how my Living room looks like:

So, please suggest your thoughts accordingly....I just want to ensure that I buy best speakers.

Also when Elac is compared with - Jamo & Dali, which are the best? I heard Dali offers very much premium speakers. Is Dali better then Elac?

Regards,
Apoorva.

·
Registered
22,208 Posts
I'd avoid both ELAC and Jamo. Dali might be ok. See if you can find JBL Stage A series, several posters from India have had good experiences with that brand and model series.

For the subwoofer, try to find the Polk HTS-12, which seems to be the best reasonably priced sub in India.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd avoid both ELAC and Jamo. Dali might be ok. See if you can find JBL Stage A series, several posters from India have had good experiences with that brand and model series.

For the subwoofer, try to find the Polk HTS-12, which seems to be the best reasonably priced sub in India.
What is the reason to avoid Elac & Jamo?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I can't comment on the brands but, as an alternative, you might consider bookshelf speakers instead of the floor models for your L/R and put the money saved toward a sub woofer. For movies, this might be a better setup in your space.

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
The Elac DC 6.2 center channel and bookshelf speakers are very good if set up correctly and used with a good subwoofer. My friend has them in his home theater and is using them with the Monoprice Monolith 10 and has a Marantz receiver. The key is setting everything up correctly. That is also true with any other speakers. What I like about Elac is that they have the ports in the front making easy placement and they have matching speakers for surrounds. I should also point out if they are set up correctly the dialogue on films is amazing. The work great in an Atmos setup.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'd avoid both ELAC and Jamo.
Very qualified , differentiated comment.
I've been using a JAMO THX System for more than 20 years now and it still sounds great.
ELAC is one of the most renownded speaker brands in the world, too.
So you can't generally rule them out.
Just sayin'.

·
Registered
36 Posts

OP didnt exactly give a budget but elac and jamo are pretty good for their price range as long as your getting them on sell, the elac's being slightly more expensive. I think OP would be pretty happy with either brands. I personally have no experience with Dali so i cant comment on them. If i were OP id ditch the towers and go for bookselves + subwoofer, budget passive towers will not be even remotely compareable to a decent active subwoofer for punchy-ness bass sound/feeling.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What changed in your setup or room that caused the center channel to be lower? I am wondering if you are just having a setup issue and may not even need new speakers since you said it was once crisp and clear. So, what changes were made at the time you started noticing the voices being lower? Did you change the position of the speaker? Change or move furniture in the room? Add a new rug or remove a rug? All these things effect the voice clarity.

·
Registered
22,208 Posts
What is the reason to avoid Elac & Jamo?
imo, weak center speakers and poor price-to-performance ... at least here in the US. I don't know how those 2 brands' prices compare to JBL's prices in India.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I've been using a JAMO THX System for more than 20 years now and it still sounds great.
Just sayin'.
Then you have the "real" Jamo speakers, not the ones produced since Klipsch bought the company.

Reactions: josephpearson

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hello All,

I presently use Harman Kardon HKTS 9 Satellite speakers connected to my Yamaha RX-V685 Amplifier. I am planning to upgrade the Center & Front - Right channel speakers since there is some issue with the Dialogue clarity level:

The Issue:

"Unfortunately, I have been facing an issue with these speakers. The dialogue (vocal) sound volume level from Center Speaker has gone quite low such that I am unable to hear the dialogues clearly especially when they whisper & speak very slowly. Voice feels muffled. Before, we were able to listen to all the dialogues Crisp & Clear even at -30 volume but now the situation is such that I have to take the volume level all the way till -13 to -12 in order to hear their dialogues clearly (especially their whispering). But now the biggest issue is that the moment there is a sudden background loud sound in the scenes, "A huge explosion of sound gets created by Subwoofer" in the living room which immediately forces me to bring the volume level down back to -28 but this again brings back the issue of low dialogue volume so again increase the volume & this cycle of Up - Down - Up - Down keeps repeating. My Mom is 69yrs & she finds such a high level of background sound very irritating, disturbing & shocking."

The Service of Harman Kardon has become rubbish. They are no longer offering a premium quality support to its end customers nor are the interested to listen or atleast read the complaint/escalation email sent to the chairman of Harman/Kardon. Such Worse their service have become. Harman Kardon are also asking for unreasonable charges.

Debut 2.0 F6.2

View attachment 3086434

View attachment 3086435 View attachment 3086436

What I am looking out from these above speakers are: The sound output while listening to music should be sweet. The action scenes which I see should have Punchy sound. The vocals (Dialogues delivery sound level) has to be absolutely Crisp & Clear even at lower sound volume such as -27. The sound of bullets or helicopter should be powerful as if the bullet has actually been shot inside my house or helicopter has in real passed from above my head.

View attachment 3086437

So, please suggest your thoughts accordingly....I just want to ensure that I buy best speakers.

Also when Elac is compared with - Jamo & Dali, which are the best? I heard Dali offers very much premium speakers. Is Dali better then Elac?

Regards,
Apoorva.
Hello All,

The Issue:

Debut 2.0 F6.2

View attachment 3086434

View attachment 3086435 View attachment 3086436

View attachment 3086437

Regards,
Apoorva.
Canton all the way!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't comment on the brands but, as an alternative, you might consider bookshelf speakers instead of the floor models for your L/R and put the money saved toward a sub woofer. For movies, this might be a better setup in your space.
Well, I already have a very good Sub-woofer which is a part of Harman Kardon HKTS 9 & it creates enough Bass & Punch so do not want to get a second one else I will have a full time "Headache".

The reason to consider Floor standing speakers over Bookshelf is b'coz the dealer from whom I am planning to purchase these pair of Elac Floor standing speakers said if I want the best then, I shall consider Floor Standing speakers which is at 1st position followed by Bookshelf at 2nd position finally the On Wall Satellite speakers which are the Average one.

Won't Floor Standing Speakers be best for movies as well? When a content is being played, from where would the max amount of content output from? While I know Center Channel speakers are purely for Dialogues, what role do Floor Standing speakers play both in Movies & Songs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Elac DC 6.2 center channel and bookshelf speakers are very good if set up correctly and used with a good subwoofer. My friend has them in his home theater and is using them with the Monoprice Monolith 10 and has a Marantz receiver. The key is setting everything up correctly. That is also true with any other speakers. What I like about Elac is that they have the ports in the front making easy placement and they have matching speakers for surrounds. I should also point out if they are set up correctly the dialogue on films is amazing. The work great in an Atmos setup.
Thanks for your feedback....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just sayin'.
JAMO : A345 for front / A320 ( SATELLITE ) for surround / s83 center - I had taken a demo of these but to be frank, these speakers greatly disappointed me. They were no better then my entry level Harman Kardon HKTS 9 speakers...My HKTS 9 - Total of 5 speakers + Sub Woofer cost me Rs. 20,000/- & here only a single Jamo s83 cost Rs. 20,000/-.....even after being such expensive, these turned out to be "Useless" for the price if demands.

·
Registered
36 Posts
JAMO : A345 for front / A320 ( SATELLITE ) for surround / s83 center - I had taken a demo of these but to be frank, these speakers greatly disappointed me. They were no better then my entry level Harman Kardon HKTS 9 speakers...My HKTS 9 - Total of 5 speakers + Sub Woofer cost me Rs. 20,000/- & here only a single Jamo s83 cost Rs. 20,000/-.....even after being such expensive, these turned out to be "Useless" for the price if demands.
The Jamo s83 goes with the Jamo s803/805/807/809 line. The s803 being the bookshelves which will have the best bang for your buck. If you plan to go with jamo then i would aim for the s803 bookshelves at a minimum. If you want surround you can pick up the s801s I wouldn't bother with the A345/A320. If those are your only options id go with the Elac.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well, I already have a very good Sub-woofer which is a part of Harman Kardon HKTS 9 & it creates enough Bass & Punch so do not want to get a second one else I will have a full time "Headache".

The reason to consider Floor standing speakers over Bookshelf is b'coz the dealer from whom I am planning to purchase these pair of Elac Floor standing speakers said if I want the best then, I shall consider Floor Standing speakers which is at 1st position followed by Bookshelf at 2nd position finally the On Wall Satellite speakers which are the Average one.

Won't Floor Standing Speakers be best for movies as well? When a content is being played, from where would the max amount of content output from? While I know Center Channel speakers are purely for Dialogues, what role do Floor Standing speakers play both in Movies & Songs.
Really depends upon how you use your system. For movies (home theater), bass goes lower and will be handled by your sub woofer so bookshelf speakers are all you need. For music, with bass not typically as low, a good floor speaker can usually handle the bass. Floor speakers will do fine with movies as well, but you pay more (the dealer's concern).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, so finally I am deciding to go ahead with Elac Speakers & planning to purchase these:

Debut 2.0 F6.2

&

The reason to select Elac over over its competitors such as Jamo, Klipsch, Dali, Wharfedale & the PATHETIC - Harman Kardon is b'coz Elac offers 3 years of Warranty on all of its speakers which other companies don't. And its service center is available right inside my city so if there is any problem with the speakers, atleast I can take it to the service center.

- Jamo - When I heard them, they were absolutely no better then my entry level Harman Kardon HKTS 9 speakers.

- Klipsch - When I auditioned this, its sound was such "HARSH" that it poked inside my ears.

- Wharfedale - While I haven't heard this speaker, its dealer is in another city, no authorized service center in my local city so I do not want to buy a speaker from a far off distance of another city spending so much of money & if god forbid anything happens to the speakers, then I have to call over their technician from another city which will cost me a lot post their 1 year of warranty. So I don't trust all of this post warranty issues.

- Dali - Same as Wharfedale, haven't heard this company's speakers & its Authorized dealer is based in another city so can't trust when it comes to post sales service.

- Harman / Kardon - Last but not the least, this RUBBISH & 3RD CLASS CHEAP GRADE COMPANY - Harman Kardon. They turned out to be the WORSE when I came to acquiring of service post warranty period. I had bought their speakers in 2013 (HKTS 9) & a year ago, I moved to another city where Harman Kardon clearly mentioned in one of their email that they don't have a Harman experts so it needs to be bought back in the original city from where it has been bought. They are such downgrade company that the cost of transit from my present city to their city has to be paid by me else they are not ready to support me. They blacklisted my email id, their representative does not answer my phone calls or disconnects my call immediately upon 1 ring, when I leave a WhatsApp message, he blocks me on WhatsApp as well...I clearly told him why am I suppose to pay for the transit charges when Harman Kardon themselves admit of not having a Harman expert in my city so is that customer's fault or my only fault to trust in this CHEAP - Harman Kardon products. Can anyone here believe here such RUBBISH & 3rd Class behavior & service Harman Kardon has offered me. Not only this, I had escalated these entire concern to the Chairman of the Harman Kardon on his Gmail Email ID as well but he seems to be in no mood to reply. He decides to keep silence on the entire matter. Harman Kardon is no longer the charm company which it once used to be way ago in 2013 when I bought their Home Theatre package.

Anyway'z, continuing with my questions:
Also, I want to under what does this "Nominal impedance" mean? The person at the technical team of Yamaha Audio has said to make sure the speakers I buy has Nominal Impedance of 6 Ohms or above but if you notice in the picture below, it is mentioned that this speaker is suitable for Amplifiers between 4-8 Ohms:

So what is the truth?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
imo, weak center speakers and poor price-to-performance ... at least here in the US. I don't know how those 2 brands' prices compare to JBL's prices in India.
Elac
There like a more expensive pioneer Andrew Jones line same designs too mostly ...
are jbl horns more balanced then Klipch? Theaters use jbl the most .
Arenas are definitely cheaper.

Used to have them hooked up , not sure if they or icon towers were better .

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ok, so finally I am deciding to go ahead with Elac Speakers & planning to purchase these:

Debut 2.0 F6.2

&

The reason to select Elac over over its competitors such as Jamo, Klipsch, Dali, Wharfedale & the PATHETIC - Harman Kardon is b'coz Elac offers 3 years of Warranty on all of its speakers which other companies don't. And its service center is available right inside my city so if there is any problem with the speakers, atleast I can take it to the service center.

- Jamo - When I heard them, they were absolutely no better then my entry level Harman Kardon HKTS 9 speakers.

- Klipsch - When I auditioned this, its sound was such "HARSH" that it poked inside my ears.

- Wharfedale - While I haven't heard this speaker, its dealer is in another city, no authorized service center in my local city so I do not want to buy a speaker from a far off distance of another city spending so much of money & if god forbid anything happens to the speakers, then I have to call over their technician from another city which will cost me a lot post their 1 year of warranty. So I don't trust all of this post warranty issues.

- Dali - Same as Wharfedale, haven't heard this company's speakers & its Authorized dealer is based in another city so can't trust when it comes to post sales service.

- Harman / Kardon - Last but not the least, this RUBBISH & 3RD CLASS CHEAP GRADE COMPANY - Harman Kardon. They turned out to be the WORSE when I came to acquiring of service post warranty period. I had bought their speakers in 2013 (HKTS 9) & a year ago, I moved to another city where Harman Kardon clearly mentioned in one of their email that they don't have a Harman experts so it needs to be bought back in the original city from where it has been bought. They are such downgrade company that the cost of transit from my present city to their city has to be paid by me else they are not ready to support me. They blacklisted my email id, their representative does not answer my phone calls or disconnects my call immediately upon 1 ring, when I leave a WhatsApp message, he blocks me on WhatsApp as well...I clearly told him why am I suppose to pay for the transit charges when Harman Kardon themselves admit of not having a Harman expert in my city so is that customer's fault or my only fault to trust in this CHEAP - Harman Kardon products. Can anyone here believe here such RUBBISH & 3rd Class behavior & service Harman Kardon has offered me. Not only this, I had escalated these entire concern to the Chairman of the Harman Kardon on his Gmail Email ID as well but he seems to be in no mood to reply. He decides to keep silence on the entire matter. Harman Kardon is no longer the charm company which it once used to be way ago in 2013 when I bought their Home Theatre package.

Also, I want to under what does this "Nominal impedance" mean? The person at the technical team of Yamaha Audio has said to make sure the speakers I buy has Nominal Impedance of 6 Ohms or above but if you notice in the picture below, it is mentioned that this speaker is suitable for Amplifiers between 4-8 Ohms:

View attachment 3090556

So what is the truth?

Debut 2.0 F6.2

&

View attachment 3090556

So what is the truth?
[/QUO

Debut 2.0 F6.2

&

View attachment 3090556

So what is the truth?
Speaker impedance is explained here: What Speaker Impedance Means and Why It Matters (lifewire.com)
I assume that you included the above specification as an example only, it is not for the Elac Debut 2.0 speakers (note that it mentions Jet tweeters). FWIW, Elac is one of the few speaker suppliers that seems to adhere to the electrical rule that a speaker's rating is determined by it's minimum impedance, i.e. the minimum can't exceed 80% of it's rating. In your specs above, I assume that the minimum is 3.6 ohms and therefore the "nominal" impedance is around 4 ohms. For the Debut 2.0 I believe that the rating is 6 ohms so therefore the minimum is somewhere around 4.8 ohms. Other suppliers may not hold to this rule as closely, so they use the "nominal" terminology of 4...8 ohms or just 8 ohms to indicate that their speakers "should" work with all amps and avr's. Maybe, maybe not, but regardless it violates stated rules and can be misleading. If you use a sub woofer (active) to handle the low frequencies and don't turn the volume up to high levels you will probably be ok.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
In a nutshell, I think you made a good choice, based on your circumstances. Your Yamaha AVR will have no issues powering your speakers cleanly at high sound levels.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts