AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a "react before I research" move, I just picked up a 5.1 (7.1) Elan Theaterpoint setup on an auction site. Has anyone actually auditioned these? I know Elan's better known for there home automation and panels. I figured it's better than what I got going on now (Infinity Modulus II 5.1) so I lept before I looked.

(3X) THP650LS Speakers

(1X) THP1200SW Subwoofer

(4X) THP650SS Dipole Speakers

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a follow up for those considering these speakers...

The THP650LS's sound great, as do the dipoles (in hindsight I should have purchased 4 650's) but I have an older Infinity IL120 Sub which I prefer to the Elan THP1200SW. I My system powered by an Onkyo 876, sounds very clean.

Definately am happy with the purchase ($1600 total) and with the exception of the sub (itching for an epik or ed), feel like i'm good to go for the next 5 to 10 years.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just in case anyone is interested in these speakers, I received a pair of THP650LS's yesterday. I was not familiar with these speakers at all, but I saw them for a ridiculously good price on eBay, read the review in Home Theater magazine and took the plunge. The main reason why I got them was that they can be positioned horizontally and have a sealed design - this was crucial for me because I need to put them inside a cabinent to satisfy the wife.

Right out of the box, I was very, very impressed by the look and feel of the speakers. They look amazing and seem to be very well constructed. They can be wall mounted, but I think they are really too big and heavy for that. I am still in the process of breaking them in (and I still need to use the laser to position the tweeter), but they sound great out of the box. Big, clean sound.

I have them positioned horizontally on a shelf above my TV and am running the pair in phantom center mode. My wife's insistence on putting the speakers in the TV cabinet has made it extremely difficult to figure out what to do for sound. I started out using 3 Energy Act 6 speakers across the top shelf. They actually sounded pretty good for their size and price, but I could not get pass their lack of mid-bass. I next replaced them with a pair of Paradigm Atom's, which I put on their side. This greatly improved the mid-bass problem, but the dialogue on TV/movies was sometimes muddled - probably because they are rear ported and I was using them in a cabinet.

So, I then had the idea of putting two center channels on the top shelf to run in phantom center mode - my thinking was that this should improve dialogue and offer better mid-bass than small satelites. The problem is that center speakers are generally pretty expensive, and getting 2 was going to be pricey. So, I looked around for some LCR speakers that could be positioned either veritically or horizontally and ran across the Elans.

I never would have bought these for full price (I think the MSRP is $1300 for the pair but I paid less than 1/4 of that), but they definitely have the look and feel of high end speakers. I think these Elans may have permanently resolved my situation, as I now have clean sounding dialogue and good mid-bass. I am very happy.

I will try to post a picture in case anyone is interested in how they look.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmatic /forum/post/16415846

I will try to post a picture in case anyone is interested in how they look.

So, I too am seriously looking at the Elan THP650LS TheaterPoint speakers...

Especially to utilize three of them across the front.

Does Anyone have experience with them?

Please tell me ;-)

How do they compare to:

1st choice...

Energy RC-10 LR Mains

w/ an

Energy RC-Mini-Center

or 2nd choice...

KEF iQ30 LR Mains

w/ an

KEF iQ2C Center

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmatic /forum/post/16415846

They can be wall mounted, but I think they are really too big and heavy for that.

Doesn't mean a person can't try!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts