AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with this system? Benefits, shortcomings, programming difficulty, etc. It would be used to control a front projection system with both IR and serial devices.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Elan's old Via was a wired only model. At CEDIA this year they demonstrated the new Wireless model. However, you would be better served purchasing a new/used Crestron panel on e-bay.

Elan really wasn't designed as a remote control system, it was designed as an entry level residential automation system. What kills me is that Elan told me as recently as a year ago that they "Didn't manufacture remote controls." I guess they do now.

The Via has no centralized processor (all logic is stored inside the Via panel) and the wiring structure is a real annoyance. Elan is decent for entry level residential applications, but for a theater room check into other options.

Do yourself a favor and buy a ST-CP/ST-1550 Crestron combo.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Barry,

If you don't mind another question. At least some of Crestron's software doesn't appear to be downloadable in that it's locked away behind a password protected area. With the rate that I change things the bill for tweaking the software would very rapidly become prohibitive. I need to be able to do this myself. Is everything needed on the public part of their website? I understand that there will be some work involved in learning to do this. It's part of the fun.

Also, if I'm reading the web page correctly the ST-CP/ST-1550 combo doesn't allow 2 way communication with the touch screen. I was planning on using this capability to display status feedback from the Casablanca, program the Tivo etc without having it display on the screen or fire up the projector. Is there a system that you would recommend for this? I understand more $$ would be involved.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
95 Posts
Les,

Actually, the stuff behind the password-protected area isn't really what you need. The general software is under downloads-software updates. Then click on I Agree at the bottom, and off you go.

It is true that there is a significant learning curve associated with programming crestron systems, yet if you start with Application Builder you can have it generate a SIMPL program which you can analyze and reverse engineer. Of course, you could always have someone else do the initial program for you and then revise it yourself.

As for the 2-way capabilities, you are correct in your assertion that the ST-CP/ST-1550 combo only allows for 1 way communication. For 2 way communications you would need either the STX-1550C or the STX-1700C (The 1700 is the newer model with an Isys graphics engine), the STRFGWX 2-way antenna and a processor (The ST-CP would work but it is fairly limited, so a CP2 would probably work better if controlling a casablanca).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

BL

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Barry, This is the kind of info that really helps. I couldn't tell if I needed anything in the closed area since I didn't have a password. Catch 22.

I am hoping to be able to pick up enough through reverse engineering to get going with it and hold paying someone in reserve if I really get stuck. From prior questions here I understand that it is possible for someone to learn by reverse engineering if they were willing to devote the time. May be able to even turn it into a backup profession if the airline industry gets any worse.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Barry,

After spending some time on Crestron's website another couple questions if you don't mind. Is the bandwidth on the STX-1700C sufficient for video or does it only support display of status feedback from connected capable devices?

I don't have a feel for what the 32 MB memory in the CP2 translates to. Is that loads of expansion room for a large system with many macros or is it limited to pretty basic programs?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
657 Posts
You will not get video on any of Crestron's wirless panels. Just text feedback, volume levels, etc. Full motion video is only available with their hard wired systems.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I suspected that but wasn't sure. Sounds like about time to start pestering my long suffering local dealer...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Les-

Mattman is correct in that the wireless panels will not support video...yet!

32MB is more that adequete for any mid sized system. Unless you have all the ports stacked with devices and each device requires complex string parsing you should be fine!!

BL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.