AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw this game at a decent price ($25) and was a little curious about it given all the very positive reviews. Only problem is I don't play rpg's. I tried one, Marrowind on the original xbox, for about 15 minutes and never touched it again. Is Oblivion a game that could possibly change my mind about rpg's? I think I was turned off by Marrowind with all the reading and I usually prefer something with a little faster pace. Any and all opinions are welcome, particularly if you are someone like me who has tried Oblivion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcnccu /forum/post/0


I recently saw this game at a decent price ($25) and was a little curious about it given all the very positive reviews. Only problem is I don't play rpg's. I tried one, Marrowind on the original xbox, for about 15 minutes and never touched it again. Is Oblivion a game that could possibly change my mind about rpg's? I think I was turned off by Marrowind with all the reading and I usually prefer something with a little faster pace. Any and all opinions are welcome, particularly if you are someone like me who has tried Oblivion.

I know why you didn't like (QUOTE: "MARROWIND") lol, it must have been because you picked up the wrong game, you should have played "MORROWIND" lol



haha sorry to poke fun at you ... Could not resist.



Oblivion is a great game and that's a great price. Oblivion can keep you busy for a very long time, wether you play everyday or just a few days a week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
oblivion is the sequel to morrowind so as others have said, if you don't like one, you probably won't like the other (although oblivion is a bit more non-hardcare friendly). that said, you can't really evaluate these types of games after 15 minutes. you have to give them a good 3 hours, i'd say, to get any sort of feel for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 /forum/post/0


My first RPG was Oblivion and I have over 90 hours into it. I don't think you could go wrong with Oblivion. I see it more as an Adventure game that is non linear.


What type of games do you typically play since this was your first RPG?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,356 Posts
I put 60 or so hours into Oblivion before I realized it was not a great game. Sure it looks good and the world is open and very well done. But from a RPG standpoint the game is broken. The skill/level system is horrible, even backwards. For example, you make a char with sneak a major skill and you sneak to attack, sneak with skill up and then this makes you level up. Sounds ok so far right? Wrong, you level so do the mobs, but now non-combat skills are the only thing you have raised and you get your teeth kicked in. You essentially have to stick your most used skills as lower skills and put rarely used stuff as specialization or the game will punish you by leveling you.


If you have a decent PC buy Dark Messiah, it's a better action RPG. It's shorter, but more focused and more fun. Or just get Fable which has a very good story and combat system. Oblivion is all fluff and no substance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
I didn't like Morrowind either the first time I played it. It seemed way too deep and involved and I just wasn't getting into it. It was only after I watched my friend play for a few hours that I finally got interested in it.


In any event, Oblivion has all the things that made Morrowind great, and fixes many of the things that stunk about Morrowind. It is absolutely beautiful, creative (quests involve going into someone's painting, going into someone's dream world, clearing out a ghost ship), and complex - there are so many interesting back stories to so many of even the most meaningless side-quests.


You can choose to tackle the main quest right away, or you can choose to explore to your heart's content and go at your own pace. I am currently 55 hours in, and haven't even touched the main quest yet. (I'm going through and joining the different guilds.) Even 55 hours in, I am addicted. It really is an amazing experience.


Also, the monsters and characters in the world level with you, which means they will never be too hard or too easy for you (sometimes they are too easy...) - you can go at whatever pace you like and the enemies will be tailored to your own skill. That's a great feature for beginners who don't usually like RPG's because they don't understand or feel like dealing with a level-up system.


But here's the real bottom line - you have the opportunity to buy a game that has won numerous "game of the year" awards for only $25. It is tied with Gears of War as Gamespot's highest rated XBox 360 game of all time. For such a low price, why wouldn't you try out a game that is universally highly acclaimed? It seems to me like you shouldn't have any problem at all selling it back for $25.


The first hour designing your character and going through the tutorial can be a little slow - sort of like Morrowind. But once you get out into the world to explore, you'll be hooked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/0


I put 60 or so hours into Oblivion before I realized it was not a great game. Sure it looks good and the world is open and very well done. But from a RPG standpoint the game is broken. The skill/level system is horrible, even backwards. For example, you make a char with sneak a major skill and you sneak to attack, sneak with skill up and then this makes you level up. Sounds ok so far right? Wrong, you level so do the mobs, but now non-combat skills are the only thing you have raised and you get your teeth kicked in. You essentially have to stick your most used skills as lower skills and put rarely used stuff as specialization or the game will punish you by leveling you.

This is a legitimate criticism. But if you look into it a little bit (there's an Elder Scrolls Wiki) you can figure out how to handle it.


I think the best way to handle things is to put the two or three skills you will rely upon as major skills (for example, heavy armorer and blade as a warrior, sneak and security as a thief, destruction and one other spell discipline as a mage) and then populate the rest of the major skills with semi-useful, but controllable skills (stuff like security, mercantile, marksman, acrobatics, armorer, alchemy, block, etc.) that you can use heavily when you want to get a level but don't use so much that you level too fast. It's weird but workable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/0


Sounds ok so far right? Wrong, you level so do the mobs, but now non-combat skills are the only thing you have raised and you get your teeth kicked in. You essentially have to stick your most used skills as lower skills and put rarely used stuff as specialization or the game will punish you by leveling you.

that's the whole point. If you sneak everywhere then you are not playing a character that should be engaging in face to face confrontation. You should be killing from a distance or using cloaking spells and up close weaponry for a silent kill.


If you are combat based character then every time you try and assassinate someone you'll get caught. It's the same issue.


My problem with the level system is that you never feel like you've become something powerful. You are pretty much the same as every other enemy just with better equipment and numbers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
I would say get the game. It is a lot easier and RPG noob friendly than Morrowind. Very addicting and great visuals. On the negative side, its a little buggy...but especially for a cheap price you can't go wrong.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
721 Posts
the level up criticism is legit and annoying, but now that I got rid of the game I miss it
. Trouble was, I was horribly unproductive at work, suffered massive acne all over my arse, chest, back and face, and gained a massive beergut. But I thought some of these things were fun, don't get me wrong (bacne is cool in its own way, really)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
From someone who couldn't stand Morrowind, and now owns Oblivion and has put 70+ hours into it, get this game. Morrowind was laden with bugs and horrible graphics (in perspective, there was a lot of them... just low res) while Oblivion looks beautiful and you want to interact with it. For 25$, you sure can't go wrong with a fun game that'll take you at least 30 hours just to beat the main quest, excluding the many many side quests (which in my opinion are a lot more fun, main quest was a letdown compared to the rest of this fantastic game). You'll be playing this game for a long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria /forum/post/0


From someone who couldn't stand Morrowind, and now owns Oblivion and has put 70+ hours into it, get this game. Morrowind was laden with bugs and horrible graphics (in perspective, there was a lot of them... just low res) while Oblivion looks beautiful and you want to interact with it. For 25$, you sure can't go wrong with a fun game that'll take you at least 30 hours just to beat the main quest, excluding the many many side quests (which in my opinion are a lot more fun, main quest was a letdown compared to the rest of this fantastic game). You'll be playing this game for a long time.


i agree the fast track quest system made a night and day difference in the to games..


marrowind i put like 4 hours into and quit and said it sucks to walk everywhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
I think the key to enjoying a game like Oblivion is to understand that you don't have to do everything. If you want to wonder from town to town reading all the books you can find, you can do that. Or you can ignore all the books. You can play the main quest, or just terrorize the people of a city. Just do whatever you like to do.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top