AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back I had kicked around the idea of adding a theater room in our basement but never could get comfortable with the layout of the basement and always had the thought in the back of my head that we would be moving. Ultimately we did end up selling our old home and building a new one, moving in about a month ago; which leads me to present the humble beginnings of the Elderberry Brew Haus.

The goal of the space is to have a place to entertain family and friends, including a gaggle of 6 and 7 year old girls. Viewing habits in the space will be sports followed by movies and then finally good old fashioned HDTV. Sooner or later would like to incorporate the ability to play an Xbox 360 or Wii in the space. I strongly considered a dedicated theater room, but finally decided against it due to wanting the space to be more interactive between the different areas within the basement and the idea in my mind that an open space would be more kid friendly.

I will be doing the majority of the work in the basement myself and will be pulling permits and going the official route. I think I am about 90% done from a layout and concept perspective, so I figured now is a good time to start a thread to get some feedback and comments on the plan. So here goes

Breakdown on the layout:

Second Office/Craft Area (12 x 14) - a bit undecided on the use of this area, the wife would like to see a table and cabinets for her to do crafts and games with our daughter. I would like to use it as a second office in the house for me to hang out in. The wife works from home when she is not traveling so the office upstairs is dedicated to her, so I would like to have a dedicated office space I can go to read AVS forum posts.

Bar (9x13) - I would like to see an old world type concept here, rough sawn wood on the walls with possibly some brick or stone, wine racks on one wall with front and rear countertops. The space will be partially enclosed with an arched opening and a large see through opening looking towards the theater area. It will also include some form of fridge and tap for my home brewed beer.

Theater Area (18'6 x 19) - Planning on having approximately a 120 inch acoustically transparent screen, undecided on format 2.35 or 1.85. Leaning towards 2.35 but will probably make the final decision after framing and drywall. Seating distance will be approximately 14 feet. There are three day light windows (3x3) at the back of the space and will be introducing some concept to control the outside light. I need to find a place to incorporate the media cabinet, have been thinking about the right side of the screen in the column that will be built out.

Space #4 (13'2 x 15'4) - Undecided. Card Table/Pool Table or walled off for an exercise room.

Full Bath - just that. Will need to tear up the concrete to relocate the plumbing from where the builder located it.

2D Layout

·
Registered
942 Posts
I could have wrote this same introduction as it was identical to my situation. I'm looking forward to see your progress, especially the bar area.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Javatime-

I quickly scrolled through a couple pages of your build thread, going to have to spend some time reading it.

Two things that jumped out, the Penn State sign and the use of TV and a retractable projection screen.

How do you like having the combination of both? It was an idea I thought about having a nice 60 in or so with a retractable screen. General layout would be the same, except was considering a fireplace with the TV over it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
BMWU,

The Penn State was pegboard on sale and was $1.00 cheaper than regular pegboard that I used just as a template in drilling the cabinet shelf holes. The retractible screen was used because I had a 50" plasma behind it that I was going to use for regular TV viewing. But I was blown away by the HD TV quality of the projector so I pulled the TV and is now upstairs in the family room. I run everything through the PJ and there is no comparison watching a 50" vs a 110" screen. The retractible screen might still be used when I put in a 2:35 screen behind it along with side curtains.

My original plan that I actually started to build was to have a fireplace with the 50" above it, but that was before I knew little about projectors. After all, all the model homes have TVs above them and it looks cool, right? But that's about it and it's really not a good idea (neck strain, heat, etc) so do your research. I ended up changing my plans and moved the fireplace to a different area and we love the location near the bar which also has a TV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts