AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so you want to assure that your system has the proper power supply. What do you do? Just plug it in to any availably outlet and run an extension cord or two if necessary? Or do you have upgraded service to the house, dedicated lines with hospital grade outlets and power conditioning?

Do you unplug your system when you hear thunder? How important is power conditioning? Is a low end conditioner more than a multi outlet box?

For two channel audio.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
i use the first option. works well. but then, im no 'audiophile'.

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate /forum/post/14279554

i use the first option. works well. but then, im no 'audiophile'.

I don't think I'll be picking your brain in this thread

but thanks for the reply

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Ran two dedicated 20A circuits with commercial/industrial grade outlets, two duplex receptacles per circuit. No power conditioning. I run the amps on one circuit, the source gear on the other.

Can't say that I noticed any real difference between that and running it all from one 15A circuit. But, I have peace of mind knowing the power supply seems more than adequate, and it cost almost nothing to do as a DIY project.

I have a single story/ranch-style house with unfinished basement so running wires just about anywhere is pretty simple. The house has 150A service.

As a general rule, I do not unplug my stuff when I hear thunder. However, if something particularly nasty is heading our way I do unplug a few things.

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran three 20 amp lines. One for each power amp as recommended by the manufacturer and one for the source. Is a power conditioner advisable for the source?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
IMO, it depends on if you have power "problems". I do not detect any power problems where I live so I never much pursued power conditioners.

I have considered a whole-house surge supressor that ties into the service panel, but so far I've not done it.

Guess I don't really have any way to qualify whether or not it's necessary. But, if it's something that you want or have doubts about your power, perhaps it's worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does a whole-house surge supressor give protection to brown outs?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
You could measure your line voltage with a DMM. My living room voltage would drop from 123v to 118v when the window unit AC turned on so I ran a 20A circuit from a 240V box in the utility closet on the other side of the wall. This circuit only drops 0.1V with 2 computers, AVR, 2 subs and power amp running. Still need to run another for the AC.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr /forum/post/14279902

Does a whole-house surge supressor give protection to brown outs?

No.

If you want that sort of thing you need a line conditioner with automatic voltage regulation or, ultimately, a true online UPS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts