AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am deciding between a manual Stewert Communicator or an electric Da-Lite Tabed Cosmo.

My question is simple, how hard are these to install?

Can they both be installed inside of the ceiling(WAF)?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
I know the Da-lite can be installed in the ceiling. I mounted my Tensioned Cosmopolitian to the ceiling with a valance surrounding it. It was not difficult. I had to buy brackets for use with a valance. I attached the valance to the ceiling and then attached the brackets to it. There is a module called the video projector interface that has three wires that match the three wires coming from the screen. I connected them and plugged in the screen. The module has a input for a 12 volt trigger. I ran a wire from my pre/pro to the it's input so that I have remote control of the screen.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I mounted my Communicator on hooks suspended from the ceiling, two per side. I did it myself and it was somewhat of a bear. Took me about 3 hours.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have a DaLite Model C that I hung above a window under a cornice (valance, whatever). It wasn't hard, other than the fact that it came in in the middle of the morning and I was too impatient to wait on my neightbor to come home and help with the lifting. A 6x8 foot pull down screen is quite heavy for a never-worked-out computer guy like myself...

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've hung 2 electric Da-Lite's and 1 manual pulldown Stewart since December. (Don't ask.) Patience, patience, and thorough measurements is all you need. Not hard to do if you are not in a hurry.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hello, I have installed one manual and one electric tab tensioned both inside the ceiling. Which works fine if your ceiling joists run parallel to the screen.

I had set up a trap door for the manual one which I opened then pulled down the screen. It worked ok, but was a pita, because the flexing started to show up on the drywall (which was on the ceiling)

For the electric one I decided to cut a hole in the drywall big enough to slip the screen into, and covered the hole with a 9" * 98" primed pine, which I painted the same colour as the ceiling. I had cut a 1.5" slot in the pine and furred out the screen to slide out of the slot without touching the side of the slot at all. (important as electric screens are expensive)

I adjusted the upstop of the screen to stop as soon as the screen batten (bottom) was level with the outside of the pine board. It looks quite nice and although there is a slot there, it is a lot less hassle than with the trap door that I had previously used.

I haven't set up a screen trigger yet so I still have to push the wall switch, but I'll probably automate it this summer.

Oh the key to the installation was using a plywood spacer which I screwed the screen to first, then removed the screen leaving in the screws. Then I made sure the plywood was level and shimmed it out. It was then relatively easy to insert the screen into the hole and onto the screws that were already on the plywood.

email me if you have any other questions....It took me a couple of part days on the weekend to do this.

Go electric and go tab-tensioned if you can afford it -Stewarts look very good......but take your time....

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
gordf, is your screen in the ceiling of a one story house? I am wondering if it's possible to do a ceiling mount on the first floor of a two story house, new construction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.