AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a electric screen installed, mounted ceiling flush and still not completely encased by drywall. I'm going back and forth with my installer as to what type of connection to use. I was under the understanding that I would get the typical wall switch for up and down, also the trigger for use with a projector or my receiver and an ir or rf choice. Now is my dilemma, the installer is telling me that the wall switch even though it came in the box with the screen he wasn't going to install it because he is going to use the ir control. After a little convincing I got him to install the wall switch, and now he is going to proceed with the positioning of the ir sensor and that's it. Now here is my question, am I being ceated out of having my possibility to trigger the screen with the projector or my receiver, or am I ok with the set up he's giving me, am I going to have the possibility to macro the ir signal to a one touch with the projector coming on and the screen coming down? What do you use? I really wanted a rf signal instead of the ir but he insisted strongly against it, how do you guys feel about ir vs rf? How much of an issue is it to run a trigger cable, is too expensive or is it like he tells me that it should be one or the other and you cannot have ir/rf/trigger? Sorry for the long post and the multiple questions. Thank for your help and expertise.

·
Registered
20,985 Posts
I just had a electric screen installed, mounted ceiling flush and still not completely encased by drywall. I'm going back and forth with my installer as to what type of connection to use. I was under the understanding that I would get the typical wall switch for up and down, also the trigger for use with a projector or my receiver and an ir or rf choice. Now is my dilemma, the installer is telling me that the wall switch even though it came in the box with the screen he wasn't going to install it because he is going to use the ir control. After a little convincing I got him to install the wall switch, and now he is going to proceed with the positioning of the ir sensor and that's it. Now here is my question, am I being ceated out of having my possibility to trigger the screen with the projector or my receiver, or am I ok with the set up he's giving me, am I going to have the possibility to macro the ir signal to a one touch with the projector coming on and the screen coming down? What do you use? I really wanted a rf signal instead of the ir but he insisted strongly against it, how do you guys feel about ir vs rf? How much of an issue is it to run a trigger cable, is too expensive or is it like he tells me that it should be one or the other and you cannot have ir/rf/trigger? Sorry for the long post and the multiple questions. Thank for your help and expertise.
What brand of screen? Many screen companies do charge extra for a 12 volt trigger. Also, why do you need a 12 volt trigger and a wall switch and a remote ? I'm not sure you can have all three without a special controller on most screens. Personally, I only use the 110 volt wall switch. Simple and reliable. I currently have two electric screens set up that way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What brand of screen? Many screen companies do charge extra for a 12 volt trigger. Also, why do you need a 12 volt trigger and a wall switch and a remote ? I'm not sure you can have all three without a special controller on most screens. Personally, I only use the 110 volt wall switch. Simple and reliable. I currently have two electric screens set up that way.
Thanks Craig, I did get the wall switch installed and also the ir sensor, my only question is about getting the 12 volt trigger so I could trigger the screen when projector comes on. I'm too new at this and I just want to make sure I don't miss something. The screen is a Vutec 138" diagonal electric ceiling flush mounted accompanied by the jvc 4910u that I got from avs science.
Thank Joe.

·
Registered
20,985 Posts
Thanks Craig, I did get the wall switch installed and also the ir sensor, my only question is about getting the 12 volt trigger so I could trigger the screen when projector comes on. I'm too new at this and I just want to make sure I don't miss something. The screen is a Vutec 138" diagonal electric ceiling flush mounted accompanied by the jvc 4910u that I got from avs science.
Thank Joe.

With a wall switch and an IR remote, you don't need a 12 volt trigger. You have it covered already ! Personally, I don't have a 12 volt trigger on my screens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts