AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a minor problem that's been bugging me. I have a 55" Philips Widescreen rear projection HDTV, but this problem has occurred on 2 previous CRT sets, one a panasonic 36", one a JVC 32", using 3 different dvd players, 2 Toshiba's and a JVC. The current DVD player is a Toshiba SD-3800 progressive scan hooked up with component cables.

What happens is, in scenes with bright sections in it, I can see this wavy set of lines, that definitely look like some sort of magnetic interference. It's not static, it's like a pulsating series of waves. Besides the above mentioned gear, it's happened with a cheap set of SONY satellite speakers hooked up to a DENON dolby digital receiver, and it happens with my current setup of Klipsch Ref. series speakers through a Yammy. I can turn off the Yammy, so that there's no interference coming from either it OR the speakers, and the lines are still there. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? To add to the mystery it's happened at my previous two residences as well, so it's not the house either. It's a dedicated HT, there aren't any computers, or sewing machines, or fridges that could be causing it. The tv is plugged directly into the wall socket and the other equipment is plugged into a power strip.

Thanks to anybody who can make their way through this mess and figure out the problem!

m7

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Geez, how does one expect to get a response to a question when their post gets buried so quickly? Although this is better than the Philips newsgroup, which can go weeks without anybody posting. Anyway, can anybody answer my question?

m7

·
Registered
597 Posts
You might try plugging the TV into a clean power source. I wouldn't plug the TV directly into the wall. Go to AV store buy the Monster Power Conditioner 3500, connect it properly and see if that helps, if it doesn't well return it. It is rather expensive, but at least you will see if that is the problem, and well as I said you can always return it for a cheaper version. Good Luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, wegafan, but as I said in my original post, this interference has shown up under every possible condition. I couldn't even list the rest of the variables, but needless to say, I've tried power conditioners too. Also, in addition to the current component hookup, I've tried S-video as well as composite, just to test it, so it's not the cables either! Anyway, thanks for responding.

m7

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Try Monster AVS 2000. This is a mighty expensive peace of equipment, but could potentially help you. Also, try doing a search on the internet on "ground loop interference". You might be experiencing this issue that is unfortunately very difficult to resolve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.